Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Should the MCU make a western?

One of the things that I love about the MCU, is that they take their characters and place them across different genres (Gotg=Space Opera, Captain America = Political Thriller). But one genre they have yet to tackle is the Western. This would be a good fit for them since before Superhero films took off, Westerns used to dominate the box office. If the MCU were to make a Western, which characters do you think the movie should be about? I think the Rangers would be a great choice.
    083458F7-8774-47B7-A2A9-C3D8E8599BC4.jpg
    Last edited by BlackClaw; 09-22-2019 at 05:46 AM.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Extraordinary Member

My comic shop guy wants this. Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, all the old Marvel western guys teamed up.

I would say a superhero neo-western could work well. Think like what Logan did, but with more of an MCU flair. Not sure if they could do a straight-up western, but I'd love to see a movie take those themes and work with it. Think like how all the genres the MCU does, they give it that unique feel that makes it their own, often by adding the superhero elements and mixing with other genres. That's a huge strength to ensure it doesn't get stale.

Put the setting in the west, or somewhere with open plains and desert landscapes, and have an emphasis on anti-heroes fighting despicable villains. Possibly guns as well.

Hmm, who could fit that? Hard to say outside of the straight western stuff like Kid Colt. However...

X-Force

Anti-heroes? Check. Guns? Check. Despicable villains? Check. It'd be easy to get them in a western-like setting, depending on where their mission takes them. I can easily see them making X-Force a movie influenced by this.

BANNED

Making a Western comic runs into all kinds of political baggage about Native Americans being pushed off the land, and manifest destiny and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Making a Western comic runs into all kinds of political baggage about Native Americans being pushed off the land, and manifest destiny and so on.
    He's talking about the MCU. As I stated, I can't see them making a full-on western MCU movie but I can see a movie heavily-influenced western elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    He's talking about the MCU. As I stated, I can't see them making a full-on western MCU movie but I can see a movie heavily-influenced western elements.
    Which is why I think the Rangers would be a great choice. They live in the modern day, each member has a unique power set, and they have a diverse lineup. Plus they’re based in Texas. It doesn’t get anymore western than that.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Yeah, but does Rangers have any kind of recognition? I feel even Guardians of the Galaxy pre-MCU had more. They never even had a title. It's why I suggested X-Force having those western elements.

Which could be the focus of the movie. As I have suggested before, the Ringo Kid has the back story that would allow discussion of such issues.

As much as I love the character, though, I suspect a MCU Western would need at least one of the Big Three (Kid Colt, Rawhide Kid, Two-Gun Kid). Of course, considering that Ringo Kid, Kid Colt and Rawhide Kid all have "outlaw" back stories and Two-Gun is a lawyer, it would be fairly easy to include Matt Hawk with any of them. But to be in the MCU we need to devote ridiculous amount of resources into CGI Eye-Candy...so we may need an alien invasion engrafted onto it. Maybe Dominus' folk?
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Yeah, but..so? A western does not have to have those things, but if they do so be it. It's not as if those topics are uninteresting.

Niffleheim

It will be "political baggage" as you put it if they ignore the Native Americans' perspective.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I don't think Marvel would do a straight-up western, but I could see using the western characters to tie into some greater aspect of continuity. Otherwise, I could see a sort of modern take on western with someone like Red Wolf, but it wouldn't be a true western. I also could see Red Wolf being taken up by Marvel television instead.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?