Astonishing Member

Default Batman meeting other versions of himself

First off, belated Happy Batman Day everyone!

Now, amidst all the news about the CW's COIE adaptation and the ever-increasing number of Supermen showing up there, it occurred to me that among DC's big stars, Batman doesn't really meet other versions of himself all that often.

I mean, Superman keeps meeting his doppelgangers. Wonder Woman has met herself. Batman very rarely does.

To clarify here, I'm referring to Bruce meeting other versions of Bruce Wayne...not other people who've taken the mantle of Batman.

Back during the Pre-Crisis era, Bruce never met his Earth Two counterpart, unlike Clark, Diana and even Dick. He met Earth Two Robin and Helena, but never his alternate self.

One of the few meetings I remember is during the New 52, with the reveal that Bruce (and Clark) met their nuEarth 2 doppelgangers, but forgot about it.

In other media, the one notable example I can remember is the JLU episode where Batman travels to the Beyond future and meets old Bruce Wayne.

I'm sure there might be some examples from Convergence, but none immediately spring to mind. I remember one version of Bruce meeting the nuEarth 2 Thomas Wayne Batman, but that doesn't count.

Am I not remembering any notable instances of Bruce meeting his doppelgangers? Or does he really tend not to meet himself as much as many of his fellow heroes do?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Wasn't there one in Zero Hour? Or was that Superman meeting various versions of Batman?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Wasn't there one in Zero Hour? Or was that Superman meeting various versions of Batman?
    Haven't read that story, but yeah, based on the cover it was Superman meeting different versions of Batman. I don't think there was a ZH story involving multiple versions of Bruce Wayne meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    First off, belated Happy Batman Day everyone!

Now, amidst all the news about the CW's COIE adaptation and the ever-increasing number of Supermen showing up there, it occurred to me that among DC's big stars, Batman doesn't really meet other versions of himself all that often.

I mean, Superman keeps meeting his doppelgangers. Wonder Woman has met herself. Batman very rarely does.

To clarify here, I'm referring to Bruce meeting other versions of Bruce Wayne...not other people who've taken the mantle of Batman.

Back during the Pre-Crisis era, Bruce never met his Earth Two counterpart, unlike Clark, Diana and even Dick. He met Earth Two Robin and Helena, but never his alternate self.

One of the few meetings I remember is during the New 52, with the reveal that Bruce (and Clark) met their nuEarth 2 doppelgangers, but forgot about it.

In other media, the one notable example I can remember is the JLU episode where Batman travels to the Beyond future and meets old Bruce Wayne.

I'm sure there might be some examples from Convergence, but none immediately spring to mind. I remember one version of Bruce meeting the nuEarth 2 Thomas Wayne Batman, but that doesn't count.

Am I not remembering any notable instances of Bruce meeting his doppelgangers? Or does he really tend not to meet himself as much as many of his fellow heroes do?
    Dark Knights Metal. Granted, they were evil versions of Batman, with one of them still sticking around (Batman Who Laughs), but other world versions nonetheless.

Oddly enough, Jason Todd actually encountered a version of Bruce that, after his Jason's death, went on to kill a bunch of Gotham's criminals. And also met a Jason Todd that became Batman and a member of the Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Oddly enough, Jason Todd actually encountered a version of Bruce that, after his Jason's death, went on to kill a bunch of Gotham's criminals. And also met a Jason Todd that became Batman and a member of the Justice League.
    Which issue was this?

I’m not crazy about putting Batman in stories with multiple universes. I’m not saying it can’t be done well but I like him grounded. Then again, I don’t get the multiple universe thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    Which issue was this?
    Can't remember. Somewhere between issue 1 and 51 of Countdown to Crisis. I believe a recent issue of Justice League (when they ventured to the 6th Dimension) actually referenced this, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Can't remember. Somewhere between issue 1 and 51 of Countdown to Crisis.
    Found it
    is Countdown #30

I believe a recent issue of Justice League (when they ventured to the 6th Dimension) actually referenced this, if I'm not mistaken.
    this, Im pretty sure you are mistaken
    I think you are thinking of JL21 which is the only point in which Bruce talks to Dick and he just mentions that Jason is being Jason
    unless you are thinking of something else

Retired

I suppose that Batman's alternate versions were more like ships that passed in the night--where they didn't exactly meet, but they might be aware of the other's existence. As in DETECTIVE COMICS 347, "The Strange Death of Batman"; DETECTIVE COMICS 500, "To Kill a Legend"; THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 200, "Smell of Brimstone, Stench of Death";

and then there's SUPERMAN AND BATMAN: WORLD'S FUNNEST, "Last Imp Standing," where the Batmen probably only met in being dead on the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Found it
    is Countdown #30
    Many thanks.

Issue 2 of 1999's The Kingdom, the Trinity meets the Trinity (of KC). They even all see Hypertime together.

Over in JLU - the Justice Lords stuff.

Different versions meet and fight in Arena, including Vampire-Bats and Liberty-Files-Bats, I think.

Superman/Batman issues 51-52 - he meets Li'l Batman (and the rest of the Li'l Justice League, including Li'l versions of Zatanna, Supergirl, Red Tornado, Superman, Arsenal, The Flash, Wonder Woman, Vixen, Black Lightning, Black Canary and Green Lantern).
    Last edited by adkal; 09-30-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Forgot Black Canary as part of the Li'l League

Found it
    is Countdown #30

this, Im pretty sure you are mistaken
    I think you are thinking of JL21 which is the only point in which Bruce talks to Dick and he just mentions that Jason is being Jason
    unless you are thinking of something else
    It was in one of Morrison's books this month (ah, found it: The Green Lantern #10). We discussed about it in our appr. thread. Apparently, Batman visited that very earth (Earth 15) from Countdown, and met the trinity there, or well, a zombie'd trinity there. We're meant to believe it's the Donna-Jason-Zod trinity. I think. I didn't read that issue, but I remember the discussion. It's Zod there, so I guess it's pretty clear that the other two are Jason and Donna.

Some crazy art there. I may check it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    It was in one of Morrison's books this month (ah, found it: The Green Lantern #10). We discussed about it in our appr. thread. Apparently, Batman visited that very earth (Earth 15) from Countdown, and met the trinity there, or well, a zombie'd trinity there. We're meant to believe it's the Donna-Jason-Zod trinity. I think. I didn't read that issue, but I remember the discussion. It's Zod there, so I guess it's pretty clear that the other two are Jason and Donna.

Some crazy art there. I may check it later.
    just re-read the issue to confirm and thats right, it is earth -15 now known as the Forbiden Earth and now everyone is a Zombie
    was this a product of Countdown because I so dont remember that
    also I cannot place Batman ever being there

just re-read the issue to confirm and thats right, it is earth -15 now known as the Forbiden Earth and now everyone is a Zombie
    was this a product of Countdown because I so dont remember that
    also I cannot place Batman ever being there
    As far as I remember, the whole place was destroyed.