Question Secret Wars (2015) - A newbies cry for help

Hello people,

This has probably been asked a million times before and I used the search funtion, but couldn't find my answer.

I haven't read a lot of comics yet, but I bought the Spider-Verse hardcover recently and loved it. Now in the epilogue, Secret Wars is mentioned. So that got my interest. However, looking at the wiki and the issues involved, I got overwhelmed. I want to read as much as possible, but this is a lot. I can't buy everything, because I am not rich, but I am really interested in the story. Now I know of 2 collections, Secret Wars and the Prelude to Secret Wars. If I only read those, will I be able to understand the story or not? If not, what else is a must read? I have read a reading order, but it doesn't really tell me if I have to read it in order to understand everything.

So in short, are the collections Secret Wars and Prelude to Secret Wars enough or not?

Thanks and sorry if this was already answered in another thread.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

You can read just the main Secret Wars story without tie-ins just fine. The big issue is that it built on a massive run by Jonathan Hickman that ended in the story. Ideally, you should read Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers first. Comic Book Herald has a good reading list. I would start with Secret Wars Prologue. For your purposes, I would skip the stuff they say you can skip.

Basically, Secret Wars is not beginner reading for a new person introduced to Marvel, but it is a rewarding experience for someone who puts the time and effort into it. Luckily, it is all available on Marvel Unlimited if you subscribe to that service, so you don't have to pay for the individual issues or trades.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Some great advise here already, but I just want to add that even though this can certainly be really overwhelming, Hickman's Secret Wars is a modern day classic for a reason. You are in for a real treat and while it's certainly a bit of a hard read, you can always come here for questions.

Thanks for the tips. Because of the praise, I really wanted to read it, but because it's so much, it's so overwhelming. I don't like digital, I want physical books. On the wiki page, I also see some Last Day collections. If I add those, will that help me understand the story more?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DoodgraverNL View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Because of the praise, I really wanted to read it, but because it's so much, it's so overwhelming. I don't like digital, I want physical books. On the wiki page, I also see some Last Day collections. If I add those, will that help me understand the story more?
    Not really, no. The first issue of Secret Wars (I'm being vague here so you can enjoy the story) results in a big change to the Marvel Universe, and the Last Days collection is basically just all of those books tying up loose ends before the big change. None of those books are by Hickman and none of the stuff impacts Secret Wars directly.

As a side note, while I agree with the above that Secret Wars is best enjoyed when you've read everything by Hickman before it, if you're bound and determined to jump in earlier than that (or money constrains you from doing that anytime soon), at least get Time Runs Out - that collects the last 10-ish issues of both Avengers titles leading into Secret Wars. There's an apparently out of print hardcover or 4 paperbacks. You should be able to pick up enough about what Incursions are, what the various major players are up to, etc. without having to get everything.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I said Last Days, I meant Time Runs Out. Thanks, I will look into it a bit further.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    You can read just the main Secret Wars story without tie-ins just fine. The big issue is that it built on a massive run by Jonathan Hickman that ended in the story. Ideally, you should read Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers first. Comic Book Herald has a good reading list. I would start with Secret Wars Prologue. For your purposes, I would skip the stuff they say you can skip.

Basically, Secret Wars is not beginner reading for a new person introduced to Marvel, but it is a rewarding experience for someone who puts the time and effort into it. Luckily, it is all available on Marvel Unlimited if you subscribe to that service, so you don't have to pay for the individual issues or trades.
    Honestly, I think you can skip Hickman's whole Avengers and New Avengers runs and just start with Secret Wars #0.

I don't think, plot-wise, Secret Wars really follows up on the bulk of his Avengers stuff in any substantial way. The Gardeners, the Builders, the Newuniversal stuff, the Black Priests, Black Swans, Mapmakers, Sidera Maris, the whole Avengers vs Illuminati stuff, the rogue planet, all that **** – none of it matters to Secret Wars. It isn't even, like, mentioned. The only thing that matters is that the Beyonders blew up the multiverse and Doom got the power.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I know you said that you don't like digital but I would put that dislike aside for at least a month. Marvel sometimes let's you just pay for Marvel Unlimited by the month and I think it is still $9.99. I don't know if there's a problem getting a subscription if you live in Europe.

If at all possible I would get as much of the Hickman issues of stories as you can. You could still understand SW without it, but IMO you could try and get the Hickman Fantastic Four trades in smaller doses or get the move expensive 2 volume Omnibus. But at least get the Time Runs Out Avengers and New Avengers stuff. Most of the lead in to SW happens in the New Avengers and the problems that the Illuminati have to come to grips with. If you want to narrow it down to just one issue of Hickman's New Avengers, it issue #33

BTW, How much do you know about the Marvel Universe itself?
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-23-2019 at 12:16 PM.

I know absolutely nothing of the Marvel Universe. I am a big fan of the movies, but decided I wanted to read the comics now. My favorite is Spider-Man and was intrigued by the Spider-Verse story. I bought the hardcover of that and the tp of Edge of... and loved it. I just ordered The Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus vol. 1, but also wanted to read something more recent. So I know nothing, hence the word newbie in the title. Also attended my first comic-com this year and was simply facinated.

I have to say, for someone who isn't a veteran in the comic scene, all the issue numbers and volumes can become quite overwhelming if you don't take the time to read what is what. Spider-Man is a great example for that, with all the "spin-offs" and different volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    If at all possible I would get as much of the Hickman issues of stories as you can. You could still understand SW without it, but IMO you could try and get the Hickman Fantastic Four trades in smaller doses or get the move expensive 2 volume Omnibus. But at least get the Time Runs Out Avengers and New Avengers stuff. Most of the lead in to SW happens in the New Avengers and the problems that the Illuminati have to come to grips with. I you want to narrow it down to just one issue of Hickman's New Avengers, it issue #33
    I just don't think any of that lead-in to SW actually ends up mattering in Secret Wars.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I just don't think any of that lead-in to SW actually ends up mattering in Secret Wars.
    Yes, I can agree with that but I think it's worth it to read that grand tapestry that Hickman was weaving all those years. Even the Bridge, which was introduced in that Fantastic Four Dark Reign mini he did before taking on the main title figures into the Incursions much later on. You could read SW on it's own but you don't get the sense of the history Reed and Victor have between them

A lot of the miniseries associated with the main series are also based on classic Marvel storylines, or classic alternate universes as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth