Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Brilliant read, and I've never been interested in Harley as a character. Can't wait for the next issues.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    That was almost painfully beautiful to read... And to realize how many little beats I missed.

A discussion over on the Ivy thread segued over to concern this issue, starting with that "Ivy is not a people person":

I think that's sort of the default interpretation, but it's possible to do some other—and to me more interesting—ones. Like that Ivy has loads of empathy, but not only for humans but for all vegetation as well. She is berating Harleen not because Ivy lacks empathy, but because Harleen is totally lacking in empathy in how she approaches Ivy.

I also think that a place like Arkham can be absolute hell to a person like Ivy, and it's something that's been explored by several other stories (Cast Shadows being the first that comes to mind). What if Ivy still can feel the pain of the Green but is denied the joys of connecting with actual plants? It'd amount of unending torture.

Which makes me think of Harleen's hypothesis, and how Ivy would be a far better study object than most other patients at Arkham.
    I have no background in psychology and psychiatry myself, but the idea of Ivy being a better candidate than the Joker for Harleen's study led me to realise that Harleen's approach is deeply grounded in the history of psychiatry. Most of the early work and theories of early psychoanalysis were based on case studies of single patients, and Harleen looks at her work in the same way. Proving her theory is based on the idea of finding the perfect patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryfe8 View Post
    That was almost painfully beautiful to read... And to realize how many little beats I missed.
    Yeah, it pointed out both several details in the storytelling and placed many of them in a larger context, giving them meaning. That's how to do good art critique.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Shameless Ascended!
    Not even sorry. How often do you get to tell a professional in this industry how much you enjoy their work? I figure, we bitch and complain about what these guys do all the time. Sometimes posters make it personal. Nothing wrong with a well-earned compliment mixed in once in a while.

Besides, I asked the guy about doing Nightwing; gotta grease those wheels a little, amirite?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Besides, I asked the guy about doing Nightwing; gotta grease those wheels a little, amirite?
    You sure that ass needs more grease?

(Though now I have the image of a Sejic-penned story where Nightwing and Power Girl have to wear each others' costumes, like that fan image recently posted in their appreciation threads.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

You sure that ass needs more grease?

(Though now I have the image of a Sejic-penned story where Nightwing and Power Girl have to wear each others' costumes, like that fan image recently posted in their appreciation threads.)
    You kidding? If we somehow got Sejic *and* Power Girl in Nightwing I'd be so excited I'd kick strangers on the street! Let them switch costumes, I wont care!!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe it's just me but this seems like the most interesting thing DC's done with Harley in years.
    I've enjoyed funny fourth wall breaking Harley in things like Harley's Little Black Book, but I also picked up the first issue of this series and look forward to reading a re-invigorated dark and serious Harley too.

So I read this back on Wednesday, and holy hell this is a good book! I have trouble believing there'll be much difficulty in sales when the quality is just this good! This could become a classic, the story and artwork are really well done! Loved how so many characters showed up in some capacity and yet still made sense and helped the story, like Strange running Arkham or Dent still doing the DA thing and getting involved. I'm surprised the security guy at Arkham wasn't Lock-Up/Bolton. The Harvey Dent scene was really good, especially that last panel where Harley narrates that within 5 months they had both become murderers despite all their previous moralizing.

And wow, talk about a memorable first meeting with the Joker!

Anyways, definitely can't wait to check out issue 2 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I wonder if this means Ivy will breaking out, hopefully she gets more than one line, I'm hoping for some seeds of their future friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleMumble View Post
    I wonder if this means Ivy will breaking out, hopefully she gets more than one line, I'm hoping for some seeds of their future friendship.
    From what I can tell, Sejic's has long-term plans for Harleen, with three arcs. The first one is Harleen into Harley, the second is Harley and Joker, and the third is Harley and Ivy. And yes, from some of his character studies, I think it's quite apparent that he intends their relation to bloom in the end, though I guess Ivy will mostly lie fallow during the first arc. But she will sprout in time.

From what I can tell, Sejic's has long-term plans for Harleen, with three arcs. The first one is Harleen into Harley, the second is Harley and Joker, and the third is Harley and Ivy. And yes, from some of his character studies, I think it's quite apparent that he intends their relation to bloom in the end, though I guess Ivy will mostly lie fallow during the first arc. But she will sprout in time.
    I'm looking forward to see the relationship flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Plant goddess here we come .

The preview for Harleen #2 is up at DC. Content warning: violence and gore. This sure is a Black Label book.

The preview for Harleen #2 is up at DC. Content warning: violence and gore. This sure is a Black Label book.
    Wow, that was a good preview. Looks like the quality is as good as the last issue. This is turning into a real great story. Kind of thing I've been hoping for since they announced Black Label.