Question Animated Series Blu Ray Set

Hi,
    I have a question which might seem silly but I've finally started watching my Batman The Animated Series Blu Ray box set and was wondering about the episode order. I always thought the episode The Cat & The Claw was the first episode that aired but on the Blu Ray set its not it's On Leather Wings.
    Some episode guides online are showing Cat & The Claw as the first aired episode and some are showing On Leather Wings as the first.
    So which is it?
    Can someone explain this to me?
    Thanks

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sorboares View Post
    Hi,
    I have a question which might seem silly but I've finally started watching my Batman The Animated Series Blu Ray box set and was wondering about the episode order. I always thought the episode The Cat & The Claw was the first episode that aired but on the Blu Ray set its not it's On Leather Wings.
    Some episode guides online are showing Cat & The Claw as the first aired episode and some are showing On Leather Wings as the first.
    So which is it?
    Can someone explain this to me?
    Thanks
    On Leather Wings was the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    On Leather Wings was the first.
    Thanks for the reply, any idea why the confusion on so many other sites?

For example even IMDB says that The Cat And The Claw is the first episode.

Thanks for the reply, any idea why the confusion on so many other sites?

For example even IMDB says that The Cat And The Claw is the first episode.
    It was because the original airing on TV was out of order. The Cat & The Claw was aired first in 1992, but The DVD set published the order as they're supposed to be.

I usually follow what the writer intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    It was because the original airing on TV was out of order. The Cat & The Claw was aired first in 1992, but The DVD set published the order as they're supposed to be.

I usually follow what the writer intended.
    Ohhhh so the TV stations aired them wrong? Even here in Australia they aired The Cat And The Claw as the first episode.

I wonder why they all aired them wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Ohhhh so the TV stations aired them wrong? Even here in Australia they aired The Cat And The Claw as the first episode.

I wonder why they all aired them wrong?

Thanks for the help.
    Don't know but TV Series do that. I know they like to switch episode if, say, the Christmas episode isn't on Christmas, but I'm not sure about this one.

Oh. In the DuckTales reboot, they spammed the Webby episode early even though the writers want to spread her appearance because the character was a hit with fans on the Pilot. So they can switch episodes based on popular characters to attract the most fans.

The Cat stars Catwoman, one of the most popular Bat characters, and...

Oh...

Batman Returns.

That's why. I mean I don't know for sure but I think that's why. ^^

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

On Leather Wings also is a much better introduction than Cat. I am watching the Blu Ray Set as well and currently am into the New Adventures. Don't mind the new designs but Bruce feels different from here on.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    On Leather Wings also is a much better introduction than Cat. I am watching the Blu Ray Set as well and currently am into the New Adventures. Don't mind the new designs but Bruce feels different from here on.
    I just finished watching The New Adventures, I watched them first coz I love them as Batgirl is a regular on it. Now that I'm finished them I'm starting at the beginning ha ha ha

Incredible Member

There is production order vs airing order

So On Leather Wings was produced as episode 1 but Cat & The Claw was aired first as it featured Catwoman to tie into the hype for Batman Returns

There isn't a whole lot of continuity in the show between episodes (besides first appearances for the characters) so its not a huge issue what order you watch them in but the Blu Ray is sorted by production order which I follow

Quote Originally Posted by JAG2045 View Post
    There is production order vs airing order

So On Leather Wings was produced as episode 1 but Cat & The Claw was aired first as it featured Catwoman to tie into the hype for Batman Returns

There isn't a whole lot of continuity in the show between episodes (besides first appearances for the characters) so its not a huge issue what order you watch them in but the Blu Ray is sorted by production order which I follow
    Yeh I will follow that but I was just so curious what was going on with the different information on the web.

Incredible Member

I've been wanting to ask ever since I heard they were rereleasing the series as a whole - did they clean up the transfer issues that plagued the previous DVD box sets? There were weird artifacts and problems in episodes like Shadow of the Bat, for example, when Harvey Bullock is being interrogated by reporters. The episode looked fine on my VHS copy from back in the day, but then on the DVD things were weird and it was all attributed to the digital transfer. Did they correct that? Did they get rid of that grain of sand on Batman's face in the introduction sequence used on more than half the episodes? Bruce Timm said in the commentaries or an interview somewhere that they actually stopped during the production of the show and refilmed that shot because it was bothering them so much, so half the episodes have the grain of sand close-up of Batman's face and others don't.