Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The preview for Harleen #2 is up at DC. Content warning: violence and gore. This sure is a Black Label book.
    I think that flashforward was too much Harley at this point in the story, even if I get what it's setting up. Plus, I miss the jester costume, but I guess this fits with the aesthetic of the book.

Harley legs .

Some comments and thoughts on #2, which sure was a dense read.

Upon rereading the opening sequence, I'm not sure the robbery scene is a flashforward. It might be the Joker's imagination on how he imagines Harleen as the future Harley Quinn. Note that his narration on top of the pages describes Harley's actions more than anyone else, and how his speech bubbles in the last page of the robbery breaks from the top frame (in the present) to the frame of the robbery, and how it lacks Harley's narration that otherwise comments on the action.

Harley being haunted by the images of the Arkham inmates. Notice how they look at her. Joker possessive. Riddler evaluating. Killer Croc on a slab of meat. Freeze absent. Calendar Man (?) afraid. Poison Ivy accusatory.

Sal Maroni's comments on "politician pretending to be the law" reads like some very pointed critique on the way US politicians often have a prior career as prosecutors, and the way they are appointed in elections. Note also how it's presented as revenge on Maroni's part.

The new violent executioner vigilantes seems almost inspired by ISIS in the way they present themselves in their video.

Harleen dreaming herself in the fountain where she saw Batman beating up Joker. Later monsters, wearing human faces as disguises, around the same fountain/arena.

Gordon shown as one of the people who have respect for Harleen as a professional, and concern for her as a person. Not very many are showing that in this comic. Some nice metacommentary from him about Batman too.

Interesting interview with Poison Ivy.

Nice little flashback to Quinzel's university days, and her early infatuation with the professor (who seems like a decent teacher and now has a name: Collins).

And that last session. That's some scary sensuality in the last few pages.

In my post about #1, I mentioned that I thought the Joker would try to corrupt Harleen through her virtues: compassion and the desire to understand and help. It seems I nailed that one, especially with the way Joker is set out as a stalker here.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

easily this is becoming the strongest comic of the year in terms of writing, I honestly cant think of anything better on 2019

I also agree that this was very dense compared to chp 1, I didnt expected to take as much reading it as I thought it would

Upon rereading the opening sequence, I'm not sure the robbery scene is a flashforward. It might be the Joker's imagination on how he imagines Harleen as the future Harley Quinn. Note that his narration on top of the pages describes Harley's actions more than anyone else, and how his speech bubbles in the last page of the robbery breaks from the top frame (in the present) to the frame of the robbery, and how it lacks Harley's narration that otherwise comments on the action.
    I dont think this is likely, its too apparent that it is a flash forward but I also dont think the scene will be relevant in next chp or later

I will also echo that it is a real shame that it is not the jester outfit instead of the new 52 look

Harley being haunted by the images of the Arkham inmates. Notice how they look at her. Joker possessive. Riddler evaluating. Killer Croc on a slab of meat. Freeze absent. Calendar Man (?) afraid. Poison Ivy accusatory.
    I just notice this as you pointed it out, pretty good detail.

Sal Maroni's comments on "politician pretending to be the law" reads like some very pointed critique on the way US politicians often have a prior career as prosecutors, and the way they are appointed in elections. Note also how it's presented as revenge on Maroni's part.

The new violent executioner vigilantes seems almost inspired by ISIS in the way they present themselves in their video.

Harleen dreaming herself in the fountain where she saw Batman beating up Joker. Later monsters, wearing human faces as disguises, around the same fountain/arena.

Gordon shown as one of the people who have respect for Harleen as a professional, and concern for her as a person. Not very many are showing that in this comic. Some nice metacommentary from him about Batman too.
    All the Two-face stuff really made me want to see a new version of The Long Halloween by Stjepan
    or maybe have a follow up with Two Face

I find this plot very interesting as it does something quite unique with the character

Personally, one thing I never really liked about two-face is how some writers pretty much use him as a villain with no logical motivation.
    TLH is a great origin story for Two-face as his main motivation is revenge. But then we have stories in which he does stuff like robbing a bank, why rob a bank, because the acid turn me evil and evil people rob banks. there is a comic(nightwing i think) in which two-face steals a gotham zepelin and proceds to throw acid from it, why? because he is a **** thats why.
    there is another in which he throws coins at people.
    another example of bad Two-face is Face the Face by James Robinson, in which he uses acid to burn his face again after Hush fixed him.

here it looks like he has a path and a motivation, and goons, the executioners are a genius idea, it makes sense that eventually this corrupt cops will help him in the future.

And that last session. That's some scary sensuality in the last few pages.
    pretty much Stjepan flexing the muscles that he uses best here
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 10-31-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    I dont think this is likely, its too apparent that it is a flash forward but I also dont think the scene will be relevant in chp or later
    Oh, it might very well be a flashforward. I'm just not sure it is. I'll probably look if it becomes referenced or revisited in future installments.

But Sejic likes to do his "elevated reality" with his images, like later on with the final session.

All the Two-face stuff really made me want to see a new version of The Long Halloween by Stjepan
    or maybe have a follow up with Two Face

I find this plot very interesting as it does something quite unique qith the character
    I'm not that familiar with Two-face, so can't comment on if this take is unique or not. Right now, I'm not sure how I feel about the inclusion of Harvey Dent here. It is certainly meant as a narrative parallel to Harleen's fall, but I'm not sure yet if it works in the end. So while Harleen and this Harvey Dent are easily ideological opposites and he serves a role as such, I'm not sure his origin story really fits or complements Harleen's story yet.

I believe Sejic knows where to take his followups to this story: first a Harley Quinn three-parter, and then a Harley and Ivy three-parter. And after that I hope for an Ivy story from him.

ETA: Not related to the above, but I just realised that there is an added piece of tragedy to this story. Bruce Wayne was the ultimate sponsor for Harleen's research, and that was what set her on her path for meeting the Joker again. And Harleen is Batman's hope that there is hope for the people in Arkham.

Which arguably adds another layer to that it is Poison Ivy who will likely end up as the person who saves and liberates Harley by the end of the final story.
    Last edited by kjn; 10-31-2019 at 03:04 AM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Oh, it might very well be a flashforward. I'm just not sure it is. I'll probably look if it becomes referenced or revisited in future installments.

But Sejic likes to do his "elevated reality" with his images, like later on with the final session.
    I doubt it will be referenced again is just that if it is a fantasy is a little weird that is Joker's and not Harley's

I'm not that familiar with Two-face, so can't comment on if this take is unique or not. Right now, I'm not sure how I feel about the inclusion of Harvey Dent here. It is certainly meant as a narrative parallel to Harleen's fall, but I'm not sure yet if it works in the end. So while Harleen and this Harvey Dent are easily ideological opposites and he serves a role as such, I'm not sure his origin story really fits or complements Harleen's story yet.

I believe Sejic knows where to take his followups to this story: first a Harley Quinn three-parter, and then a Harley and Ivy three-parter. And after that I hope for an Ivy story from him.
    unique is not the right used term here
    is more like the "proper" take

If I had to guess, I think two-face with the gang of executioners will attack Arkham which will promp Harley to try to "save" the immates by creating a massive breakout

I doubt it will be referenced again is just that if it is a fantasy is a little weird that is Joker's and not Harley's
    Agreed. We'll just have to see.

If I had to guess, I think two-face with the gang of executioners will attack Arkham which will promp Harley to try to "save" the immates by creating a massive breakout
    Interesting idea. It fits from a structural view, in that Harvey/Two-face has preceded both of Harleen's decisions to try to get closer to the Joker in the books so far. Seen in that light, Two-face's story is not there to parallel Harley's story, but to prompt it, give her something to react to, motivate her, and spring her into premature action.

I'm not saying you're right, but it fits extremely well.

Interesting idea. It fits from a structural view, in that Harvey/Two-face has preceded both of Harleen's decisions to try to get closer to the Joker in the books so far. Seen in that light, Two-face's story is not there to parallel Harley's story, but to prompt it, give her something to react to, motivate her, and spring her into premature action.

I'm not saying you're right, but it fits extremely well.
    I see
    so Im 1000% correct
    I take it

I see
    so Im 1000% correct
    I take it
    no joke but I strongly think that im right, now that he posted this pic on twitter

Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 10-31-2019 at 11:48 PM.

Just finished issue #2. As good or possibly better then the first and that’s saying something because the first part was a masterpiece. This book is truly special and has my mind engaged from the start. Deep powerful and emotionally charged through out. Also to note, the artwork is some freaking gorgeous. I mean, talk about setting the atmosphere perfectly. I hate that the next issue is the last part but all good things have to come to an end. If they stick the landing with the last issue it will go down as one of the most tragic and flat out best stories I’ve read in a comic. Absolutely hooked.

Stjepan Sejic has posted some more stuff over on Twitter.

First one. Some fun stuff, and some symbolism there with Harleen holding Joker's arm in a similar way to the earlier image of Ivy holding Harley's arm.

Another one, with Ivy, as well as the Joker and an Arkham guard.

Harleen #3 gets delayed to december

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/11...sanity-2-2020/

With delays for Criminal Insanity as well, and frequent delays and slippages for other titles, I wonder about DC's editorial side.

I know lead times from delivery of manuscript to published book tends to be around a year in the book market. It can be shortened, but if you have it shorter than six months you tend to run into severe quality control issues. But comics seems to run on a one-month schedule for production, and is arguably a more complex product.

Extraordinary Member

I cant find a suicde squad thread for this year, and no point with the year ending, this new squad looks incredible and i already dont want them to die

Spectacular Member

harleen 3 has been completed , we did a move back initially to allow for stores to up their orders as it's a whole thing with how preorders to stores work and this issue really affects a a 3 issue run book like harleen. i have some interesting ideas for the future storyarcs and how to better handle the whole store thing.

anyhow, like i said, book has been completed and is getting sent to print my sincere apologies for the delay and i sincerely hope you'll find issue 3 worth the wait.

Stjepan.

Thanks for clearing that up, nebezial. The Bleeding Cool article didn't mention this was for marketing/ordering purposes.

Anyway, the more I learn about the American comics publishing infrastructure, the more baffled I get. It's like it has serious disincentives built-in to grow or find new customers or handle unexpected success stories.

Keep up the good work!