Spectacular Member

Well, this preview certainly was heads and shoulders better than the WW preview. Diana's front and center and proactive and capable.

Things certainly are ramping up with Cirice. Hopefully the payoff will be solid.

I'm enjoying this title. Although, I'm not digging Circe's current couture.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm enjoying this title. Although, I'm not digging Circe's current couture.
    I have a similar itch about the new costume. It doesn't feel original to me. For some, it might feel more like the Queen of Fables, than disco Circe.

It seems that some artist or editor basically swiped the weirdest, most idiosyncratic visual elements from Queen of Fables and artistically grafted them onto Circe, ..but with more horrific effect. Circe's face, her actual face, is a creepy, white mask, beyond which an insatiable fire menaces the universe...wow! Then, there's her new penchant for pseudo-Victorian, Beetlejuice fashions, and I must confess...

I like it! I love the otherworldly Queen of Fables, enough to see her installed, as Diana's archenemy, ..and I like this new, inhuman, scary interpretation of Circe.

Wonder Woman, as Marston conceived her, is a little weird. Her worst nemeses should be equally bizarre...maybe, moreso. Just the same, I am waiting to see what will distinguish this latest version of Circe from previous, uninspired ones.

That remains to be seen. Good start, though.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-24-2019 at 01:21 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Glad to see that both Kent and Khalid are sticking with the team. This arc is my favorite yet of the new JLDark title. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I have a similar itch about the new costume. It doesn't feel original to me. For some, it might feel more like the Queen of Fables, than disco Circe.

It seems that some artist or editor basically swiped the weirdest, most idiosyncratic visual elements from Queen of Fables and artistically grafted them onto Circe, ..but with more horrific effect. Circe's face, her actual face, is a creepy, white mask, beyond which an insatiable fire menaces the universe...wow! Then, there's her new penchant for pseudo-Victorian, Beetlejuice fashions, and I must confess...

I like it! I love the otherworldly Queen of Fables, enough to see her installed, as Diana's archenemy, ..and I like this new, inhuman, scary interpretation of Circe.

Wonder Woman, as Marston conceived her, is a little weird. Her worst nemeses should be equally bizarre...maybe, moreso. Just the same, I am waiting to see what will distinguish this latest version of Circe from previous, uninspired ones.

That remains to be seen. Good start, though.
    Excellent point about the historical Wonder Woman and Marston weirdness vibe. My issue is when I see it, I expect Circe to launch into 76 Trombones from The Music Man.

Anyway, I'll get over it.

It's an interesting collection of baddies she's summoned to take on JLD. I can only hope Orlando figures out how to do the same for a throw down with Wonder Woman in her own title.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Glad to see that both Kent and Khalid are sticking with the team. This arc is my favorite yet of the new JLDark title. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
    Having both of them has been a great device for talking about the nature of magic without having just one of them monologuing.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Excellent point about the historical Wonder Woman and Marston weirdness vibe. My issue is when I see it, I expect Circe to launch into 76 Trombones from The Music Man. ...
    Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!!!

It's about the most blatant ripoff of a superior character, namely the QOF, as you'll find anywhere. I've got an open mind though and hope to be surprised.

Maybe Circe will surpass her. Doubt it though.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!!!

It's about the most blatant ripoff of a superior character, namely the QOF, as you'll find anywhere. I've got an open mind though and hope to be surprised.

Maybe Circe will surpass her. Doubt it though.

The Queen of Fables hasn't been seen in comics since Simone's run. I think Circe can easily "surpass" somebody with a very limited amount of appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The Queen of Fables hasn't been seen in comics since Simone's run. I think Circe can easily "surpass" somebody with a very limited amount of appearances.
    She was in Steve Orlando's Justice League of America run.

And yeah, I think Circe's new look resembles her too much.

That might be certain, if Circe's motivations were as clear, as the QOF's, ..and they aren't.

Most of us still dont know what the hell Circe wants ..or why, ..or what difference it makes in a story. I'm tired of Circe raving about her lust for power and don't much care about all of the Witchmark/Hecate nonsense. The volume of Circe's many appearances haven't yet "surpassed" the quality of QOF's few, but, let's be open-minded.

Perhaps, this new QOF-inspired showing will wow us.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-25-2019 at 07:13 AM.

I love this title. If only the WW title were half as good...

There were direct references to Wonder Woman in SHAZAM #7.

I'd been waiting for the "Champion of Magic" and a beneficiary of Zeus's powers to interact with Diana. Hope it happens soon, and I'm curious to see how JLD would handle Billy Batson should he somehow end up encountering the team.
    Last edited by NYCER; 09-25-2019 at 04:56 PM.

That might be certain, if Circe's motivations were as clear, as the QOF's, ..and they aren't.

I'm tired of Circe raving about her lust for power

Kind of contradicting yourself here. For that matter, QOF's motivations are a lot less clear.

And tbh, I really don't see much similarity between this new look for Circe and QOF unless you think pale white skin is unique to the latter.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-25-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Kind of contradicting yourself here. For that matter, QOF's motivations are a lot less clear.

And tbh, I really don't see much similarity between this new look for Circe and QOF unless you think pale white skin is unique to the latter.
    It's not only the white skin but the outfit.