Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Martian Manhunter on current Justice League and Solo Book... your opinion?

J´onn with girlfriend (Hawkgirl), son (Shayne, he had it with Kendra in a alternative timeline), the strange friendship/rivalry with Lex Luthor, he being the core and heart of the book, his current solo adventures... what do you think of J´onn´s actuality?

I'm glad J'onn is getting his day in the sun, he's such a fascinating character and I feel he deserves all the limelight he can get. I do wish his current book was better but I'm glad he has a book; I hope it leads to DC giving him another book sooner rather than later with his continuity in tact and a better story.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-23-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I like it, I don't know how someone who has been J'onn fan for years and knows his history would take it. But as someone who only knew him from the animated series and a few different comics, I am really enjoying the depth to his character. I am hoping he gets revived soon though, since y'know..he's kinda dead right now

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I gave the Martian Manhunter maxi-series a shot, but it just didn't work for me on any level, aside from some pretty cool art.

I think removing J'Onn's extended history in hiding on Earth prior to debuting publicly with the JLA was the first mistake, compounded by the similarly baffling idea of making him a dirty cop on Mars.

Given how unpopular the book is, none of this is gonna stick, so I'm not too worried about Orlando's retcons affecting the character moving forward. They won't even try to explain this story away, they'll just ignore it and move on.

Incredible Member

I for one am loving the maxi-series. On the other hand, find Snyder's JL a bit to grandious and so don't have any particular take on his MM specifically.

Comments from people who have an issue with the maxi-series broadly revolve around changing of history/ character assasination.

Think they should do more stories like this with other characters. That said this is coming from someone who has no deep attachment to any character/continuity and tends to like different stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I gave the Martian Manhunter maxi-series a shot, but it just didn't work for me on any level, aside from some pretty cool art.

I think removing J'Onn's extended history in hiding on Earth prior to debuting publicly with the JLA was the first mistake, compounded by the similarly baffling idea of making him a dirty cop on Mars.

Given how unpopular the book is, none of this is gonna stick, so I'm not too worried about Orlando's retcons affecting the character moving forward. They won't even try to explain this story away, they'll just ignore it and move on.
    The best part of Orlando's mini/solo is that it was so far into left field and so terrible that very few people will remember it and even less will care if it's ever brought up again.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    The best part of Orlando's mini/solo is that it was so far into left field and so terrible that very few people will remember it and even less will care if it's ever brought up again.
    Agreed. As an alternative Vertigo take on the character, it might have found an audience (maybe), but marketing a comic that idiocyncratic and mediocre to mainstream superhero fans was head-shakingly dumb. Granted, I honestly don't understand why Steve Orlando keeps getting work at DC. He keeps being given relatively high-profile books with great art teams, then failing utterly to make them interesting or generate any significant sales.

I'm sure he's a very nice guy, and I wish him all the success he can get in the industry, but I can't think of anyone since Devin Grayson that's been given this many chances at DC based up so little return, either critically or financially.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I really enjoyed the Ostrander and Mandrake series from the 90's.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Mighty Member

Ehh. I didn't like Orlando's Manhunter at all. I feel Manhunters connections with both Lex Luthor and Hawkgirl are forced. The Hakwgirl stuff simply doesn't feel natural to me even now, and it doesn't help having their kid flying around. The Lex stuff seems like a desperate bid to make Manhunter more relevant by tying him into one of DC's biggest villains. I think his character is written well, but ultimately, I still prefer the Rob Williams stuff with Mr. Biscuit. As far as stories about secret mental break downs, it is far an away better than what Wally had going on.

Agreed. As an alternative Vertigo take on the character, it might have found an audience (maybe), but marketing a comic that idiocyncratic and mediocre to mainstream superhero fans was head-shakingly dumb. Granted, I honestly don't understand why Steve Orlando keeps getting work at DC. He keeps being given relatively high-profile books with great art teams, then failing utterly to make them interesting or generate any significant sales.

I'm sure he's a very nice guy, and I wish him all the success he can get in the industry, but I can't think of anyone since Devin Grayson that's been given this many chances at DC based up so little return, either critically or financially.
    The answer is pretty obvious if you look at the comic industry as whole in the last..decade. He's not the only one getting shuffled around continuously but never manages to move books.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

The answer is pretty obvious if you look at the comic industry as whole in the last..decade. He's not the only one getting shuffled around continuously but never manages to move books.
    If it's obvious, I'm not seeing it. Why is Orlando getting so much work based upon so little return?

If it's obvious, I'm not seeing it. Why is Orlando getting so much work based upon so little return?
    Just count your blessing that you don't know. Sometimes ignorance is truly bliss.

Just count your blessing that you don't know. Sometimes ignorance is truly bliss.
    I'm sorry. I have no idea what you're talking about here. If it's something that can't be talked about on a public forum, I understand, so please send me a private message.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Not reading his solo book, but I may give it a look in trade. I want to like him in the current Justice League run, but I absolutely can't bring myself to care about him and Hawkgirl and I know that, like Dick and Shawn recently, that relationship dies when a new creative team comes onboard. It just doesn't work. This isn't even about me wanting the Hawks to be together, I just don't feel any chemistry for her and J'onn.

To be honest, that and the connection to Lex makes it feel like Snyder really wants to elevate J'onn but realizes the only way to do so is to graft him onto more popular characters and that doesn't bode well for J'onn's direction.

I like J'onn. I want him to work. If I'm being honest, however, I think a duo book is the best way to handle him. On any team with Superman, the former gets the lion's share of cool moments and J'onn (despite having Clark's powers and more) is the telepath and shapeshifter. Hurray.

Know what? Snyder is on to something. Pair him up with a more popular character... Wally West! Send them off as a two-man multiversal police force where they save universes in the Dark Multiverse and bring them into the multiverse proper while J'onn helps Wally come to terms with the editorial hit placed on him and they bond as best buds. J'onn finds some purpose, gets to develop something of an uncle-nephew role with Wally and in helping Wally repair his damaged mind/life (maybe even get Linda back), perhaps he can bury his emotional baggage with him and move on to the next phase of his life.

Really hoping you're not implying what I think you are.

A lot of writers get numerous chances before DC (however deserved or not) drops them. Devin Grayson, JT Krul, Sterling Gates, Sean McKeever and so on. From my experience as a reader, DC usually gives writers they're pushing 3-5 years to put up results. Orlando seems to have really come on with Rebirth, so he's only now entering that "put up or shut up" timeframe.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-01-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Really hoping you're not implying what I think you are.
    If you are referring to Orlando being openly bisexual, I really hope so, too, but I'm willing to give DragonChi the benefit of the doubt here that this is about something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    A lot of writers get numerous chances before DC (however deserved or not) drops them. Devin Grayson, JT Krul, Sterling Gates, Sean McKeever and so on. From my experience as a reader, DC usually gives writers they're pushing 3-5 years to put up results. Orlando seems to have really come on with Rebirth, so he's only now entering that "put up or shut up" timeframe.
    Yeah, I think you're right here. DC has tried, on multiple occasions, to give Orlando the opportunity to catch on, but nothing he's done has really worked, either critically or financially, which is probably why he's being put on Wonder Woman, a book that editorial seems resigned to just being a niche book that appeals to only a small percentage of passionate committed readers.