Default How to start where to look.

Hi.
    I want to start reading the ironman comics. I have not read any before and dont know where to start looking. I know that it is a long series and I would honestly like to start from the very beginning and work through the different series. Preferably I would like to read the ac8cokics instead of online however if this isn't an option online would be fine aswell. Can someone tell me where to start looking and the best order to read some of the side universe stories in.
    Thank you from a comic newbie

For the best modern take, the Extremis arc from 2005 works well as a starting point. It's basically a reboot (still in-continuity) that updates Iron Man's origins with a heavy dose of sci-fi, and was massively influential to Tony's origins in the MCU.

His earlier stuff doesn't fare as well, mainly because he was mainly a vehicle to promote Cold War era themes, while later works transitioned him to him having more emphasis on the industrial billionaire aspect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flanners101 View Post
    Hi.
    I want to start reading the ironman comics. I have not read any before and dont know where to start looking. I know that it is a long series and I would honestly like to start from the very beginning and work through the different series. Preferably I would like to read the ac8cokics instead of online however if this isn't an option online would be fine aswell. Can someone tell me where to start looking and the best order to read some of the side universe stories in.
    EXTREMIS is the best Iron Man story. And it's very standalone. The Tony you see there is not quite the Tony of the MCU but "getting there". EXTREMIS inspired all three of the Iron Man movies with it having the greatest bearing on Iron Man 3 (best IM movie).

I also recommend Fraction/Larocca's run on Iron Man, the best since Michelinie/Layton and also accessible.

Worldwide Man Hunt which is Iron Man versus Norman Osborn/Green Goblin is a great story and a sprawling one which introduces many parts of the IM side. And it also has Pepper Potts in her biggest role.

iMan 42s

Hi.
    If you want to start at the beginning there are Omnibuses out there which can be costly, but you do get a bunch of comics from the earlier periods. Early Iron man while a vehicle for propaganda can be fun when viewed from a modern perspective given how much changes between then and now. Hawkeye and Black Widow being villains to start with happens in Iron man. There is also neat villains like the Guardsman and up into the 80's we have Iron man 2020 (who for some reason takes little more than a name and costume from this version but whatever). You can find most if not all of it collected.

Some good ones to look into;
    Extremis
    Demon in a bottle (you can find this collected)
    Industrial Revolution
    Iron Age (note that there are two but the one from 2011 as it goes over Iron man's history with a time-travelling then modern Stark.)
    Heroes Reborn is good if you want a modern reboot and you don't want to dive into the Ultimate Universe.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Thank you for the recommendations. I will start with the extremis series and look into the omnibuses since you guys were very helpful with ironman any recommendations for deadpool. Thank you

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Hi.
    If you want to start from the beginning, with physical books, the easiest way to do so is with the Marvel Masterworks. They are pricey in hardcover, especially if they are out of print, but you can try the first volume in trade paperback, if you want. You could also check your libraries. Depending on the size of the library, they might have some volumes.

This will let you try it, and see if you like Silver Age comics, which not everyone does.

There are 2 Silver Age Iron Man Omnibus (that collects the first 6 Marvel Masterworks, I think), but I think they are out of print and pricey.

Yes, Extremis is probably the best start for the modern age of Iron Man, but there's plenty of classic Iron Man that I would recommend, that was used in the movies. Mainly the Micheline and Layton stuff. They did Armor Wars, Demon in a Bottle and the trilogy of match ups with Doctor Doom! There is a Micheline and Layton omnibus too, but I'm not sure how much of the run it covers.

The most affordable editions, are the paperback Epic Collections. However, they aren't published in chronological order, so there a lot of gaps. Here's what the they've published so far:

Iron Man
    Vol Title Years Covered Main Credits Main Series

1 The Golden Avenger 63-65 Stan Lee Don Heck Tales of Suspense#39-72
    2 By Force of Arms 65-68 Stan Lee Gene Colan #73-99, Iron Man #1 Tales to Astonish #82
    Iron Man & Sub-Mariner #1 Not Brand Echh #2

3 The Man Who Killed Tony Stark 68-70 Archie Goodwin George Tuska #2-24

10 The Enemy Within 82-83 Denny O’Neil Luke McDonnell #158-177 Annual #5
    11 Duel of Iron 83-85 Denny O’Neil Luke McDonnell #178-195 Annual #6-7

13 Stark Wars 87-88 David Michelinie Bob Layton Mark Bright Barry Windsor-Smith #215-232 Annual #9
    14 Return of the Ghost 88-89 Mike Saenz David Michelinie Bob Layton Roger McKenzie Butch Guice Ken Steacy #233-244 Iron Man: Crash Marvel Fanfare #22-23, 44
    15 Doom 89-90 David Michelinie Bob Layton Dwayne McDuffie Paul Smith Herb Trimpe #245-257 Annual #10-11 Captain America Annual #9
    16 War Games 90-92 John Byrne John Romita, Jr. Paul Ryan Mark Bright #258-277

You might also try asking in the Iron Man Appreciation thread here:

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...reciation-2019
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Thank you for the recommendations. I will start with the extremis series and look into the omnibuses since you guys were very helpful with ironman any recommendations for deadpool. Thank you
    You can't go wrong with Joe Kelly's run on Deadpool, which is a consensus favorite among DP fans.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Also Matt Fraction's Iron Man run is amazing.

For modern day MCU Iron Man go with Bendis' run.