Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

What it boils down to for me is you can't look at Thea's arc in season 2, the ending of the season, and the beginning of season 3 with her with Malcolm and NOT expect her to be a Big Bad of the season with Malcolm. Instead she's sidelined, marginalized, and is mostly killed.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    What it boils down to for me is you can't look at Thea's arc in season 2, the ending of the season, and the beginning of season 3 with her with Malcolm and NOT expect her to be a Big Bad of the season with Malcolm. Instead she's sidelined, marginalized, and is mostly killed.
    I didn't see her as being a Big Bad but I think she needed to have a much more significant heroic journey then she ended up having.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't see her as being a Big Bad but I think she needed to have a much more significant heroic journey then she ended up having.
    In my mind, she should have spent most of season 3 with her father, working against her brother that she blamed for her mother's death. Then at some point near the end of the season she would come to her senses or discover that Malcolm was planning something truly terrible, reconcile with Oliver, and turn hero. They could even have spent all of Season 3 building up the League as the Big Bad of season 4.

Course you for reminding me of Arrow Season 3's mess again!

I don't watch Arrow so I don't know what to expect from this. Interesting I suppose, but I haven't read any Black Canary comics, so I'm not familiar with the characters at all.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I don't watch Arrow so I don't know what to expect from this. Interesting I suppose, but I haven't read any Black Canary comics, so I'm not familiar with the characters at all.
    This show turned Black Canary into legacy character. Mainly because of they kept screwing up the character to the point she needed replacing.

Retired

There's almost no relation of the Canaries in the Arrrowverse to Black Canary in the comic books.

Or Green Arrow himself for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    This show turned Black Canary into legacy character. Mainly because of they kept screwing up the character to the point she needed replacing.
    Well that's not promising, but hopefully the show will still be good.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/15/...a-green-arrow/
    Dinah and Laurel look young, so yeah, I guess Mia is coming to the present

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I think she is a better actor than Caity Lotz--if she's given a chance. She just never was.
    I laughed long and hearty at this.

long and hearty indeed.

As for a spinoff...McNamara bores me. Her tough girl act got old quick. Harkavy, I squealed like a girl when she first hit the show and said her actual name. But that potential was quickly shat upon with the whole team Arrow civil war crap and her role in season seven was hit or miss, largely miss and then she goes and gets her Canary Cry neutered. So what is she going to bring to the show?

Cassidy, well I know she has plenty of people who are smitten with her, but I am not one of them. If there are crossovers I might check in on this show, otherwise, it's a pass right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/10/15/...a-green-arrow/
    Dinah and Laurel look young, so yeah, I guess Mia is coming to the present
    ...Well, okay then.

Retired

It's hard to see how future Mia can exist on the present Earth--given that there's a Crisis coming which ought to wipe out the future that she's from (so she would get dusted like XS)--unless she's from the Earth that exists as a result of the Crisis, but then she would know what happened in the Crisis. But the original Crisis was pretty confusing with the time travel, too.

I might not like any of the stuff that happens in the ARROW flash forwards, but then I look at Rachel Skarsten on BATWOMAN who is the best actress on that show and I realize this is the same young woman who played Black Canary on BIRDS OF PREY--and I never thought back then that that actress would become so good. So, Katherine McNamara has every chance to impress in the future.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't blame Katie Cassidy for the unevenness of her performances. Every season they seem to change their mind about what character they want her to play. I think she is a better actor than Caity Lotz--if she's given a chance. She just never was.

If, in the second season of ARROW, Laurel had taken a dark turn and become the Black Siren in opposition to the Hood that would have got us where we ended up. Maybe if they combine all the Earths, there will be an amalgamated Black Siren who always was Sara's sister.
    IMO Katie Cassidy is one of the best actors on the show, if not the best. She can play the down-to-earth dramatic beats or go larger-than-life comic book character, sometimes all at once. She's given as much depth as she could to some of the weirder transitions they put her character through.

You go back to those first two seasons, Cassidy's Laurel had more romantic chemistry with Oliver than Felicity ever did. Their conflicts were more interesting. It was clear they were originally headed toward Laurel being the Black Canary comic book readers know and love. No idea why they swerved and made Felicity the primary love interest but the show has never fully recovered IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    IMO Katie Cassidy is one of the best actors on the show, if not the best. She can play the down-to-earth dramatic beats or go larger-than-life comic book character, sometimes all at once. She's given as much depth as she could to some of the weirder transitions they put her character through.

You go back to those first two seasons, Cassidy's Laurel had more romantic chemistry with Oliver than Felicity ever did. Their conflicts were more interesting. It was clear they were originally headed toward Laurel being the Black Canary comic book readers know and love. No idea why they swerved and made Felicity the primary love interest but the show has never fully recovered IMO.
    While I agree with most of what you said, I disagree about her having better chemistry with Stephen than Emily did. To me at least, them together always felt a bit forced, and their characters worked much better as friends, whereas Oliver and Felicity clicked immediately. That's why they made Emily a regular.