Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Is there going to be another reboot

According to Bleeding cool there is but why? For the past years there have been reboots because of sales witch I dont get. So why marvel are you doing this. This past year was the best marvel books to date so i dont get it.In sales i think you have to be in the 30s anything under 30s is on the chomping block, Dc dosent do this except for the new 52. I hope somebody that's going to comic con will ask this

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    According to Bleeding cool there is but why? For the past years there have been reboots because of sales witch I dont get. So why marvel are you doing this. This past year was the best marvel books to date so i dont get it.In sales i think you have to be in the 30s anything under 30s is on the chomping block, Dc dosent do this except for the new 52. I hope somebody that's going to comic con will ask this
    If it's not Marvel who said it, it's a rumor. Wait until Marvel says something officially. It might not even happen, so no point in stressing now.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel just relaunches #1s, so if that is what you mean, yes they are going to keep doing it. Marvel will say it gets more attention, is easy for new readers to jump on, and brings in more money.

To free Hydra Cap from Coates.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by fin5 View Post
    Last I checked it was the 22,000 range where things get put on the chopping block over at Marvel. A relaunch of new titles tends to be the case when enough is under-performing or there is enough necessity on the publishing end. In this case it's a little bit of both.
    Marvel is approaching 2020 and that is a big year given that it's a Marvel universe date. So with enough under-performing and the opportunity to take advantage of the year given it's own history something like this was bound to happen. Some titles are just doing poorly and will get a relaunch. Despite what creative teams will say, that is why they do it.

Relaunches are what Marvel does, Marvel doesn't exactly have a history of reboots. The mainline was meant to start over a couple of times but ultimately things didn't pan out and it stuck around. Marvel as a whole doesn't really do that and instead opts to use smaller retcons to facilitate a larger change. A line-wide reboot is costly and awkward on the consumer. One would assume Marvel is smart enough not to do it especially given that it's hard for them to even get a book out the door.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

I think the OP means a Re-Launch, where Marvel will star new series with several number ones and not a reboot.
    I mean, why would Marvel do a reboot around this time? They retcon, omit or avoid continuity but don't reboot.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    To free Hydra Cap from Coates.
    Cap is still in that Spencer maze? I wonder if Coates has extricate T'Challa from his own underwhelming maze of a story?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Last I checked it was the 22,000 range where things get put on the chopping block over at Marvel. A relaunch of new titles tends to be the case when enough is under-performing or there is enough necessity on the publishing end. In this case it's a little bit of both.
    Marvel is approaching 2020 and that is a big year given that it's a Marvel universe date. So with enough under-performing and the opportunity to take advantage of the year given it's own history something like this was bound to happen. Some titles are just doing poorly and will get a relaunch. Despite what creative teams will say, that is why they do it.

Relaunches are what Marvel does, Marvel doesn't exactly have a history of reboots. The mainline was meant to start over a couple of times but ultimately things didn't pan out and it stuck around. Marvel as a whole doesn't really do that and instead opts to use smaller retcons to facilitate a larger change. A line-wide reboot is costly and awkward on the consumer. One would assume Marvel is smart enough not to do it especially given that it's hard for them to even get a book out the door.
    They aren't rebooting. They are just relaunching a few titles. The one we absolutely know for certain is Doctor Strange (which is due to story reasons.) Thor will also get a new #1 once King Thor wraps up (new creative team/direction.)

The other two being rumoured by Bleeding Cool is Captain America and Guardians Of The Galaxy. Cates is wrapping up his run on GoTG with #12. The title is likely going on hiatus until Annihilation is done with. At which time it will (according to Bleeding Cool) be relaunched with a new creative team and #1. Captain America is news to me. But is probably due to the delays it has suffered and poor sales.

Everything else is continuing as is. For now anyway.

Personally, I think a seasonal model is totally fine, Marvel just needs to be honest about how they're operating.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    They aren't rebooting. They are just relaunching a few titles. The one we absolutely know for certain is Doctor Strange (which is due to story reasons.) Thor will also get a new #1 once King Thor wraps up (new creative team/direction.)

The other two being rumoured by Bleeding Cool is Captain America and Guardians Of The Galaxy. Cates is wrapping up his run on GoTG with #12. The title is likely going on hiatus until Annihilation is done with. At which time it will (according to Bleeding Cool) be relaunched with a new creative team and #1. Captain America is news to me. But is probably due to the delays it has suffered and poor sales.

Everything else is continuing as is. For now anyway.
    Which is what I said. They are going to relaunch titles, not reboot.

It's just another relaunch that is only noticeable because a bunch of titles are doing it and some themed variants for 2020. That's it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Personally, I think a seasonal model is totally fine, Marvel just needs to be honest about how they're operating.
    They know that we know how they are operating lol. Ultimately, it all comes down to sales. Thor and GoTG are fine because a new creative team are coming onto those titles. Doctor Strange is for story related reasons (although it could have easily continued as #21 instead of #1.) While Captain America is due to losing readers (most likely due to the delays.)

Marvel just need to reevaluate how they go about green-lighting titles. For me, I'd like to know upfront which books are going to be mini-series/maxi-series before they are released. It allows me to budget accordingly and, more often than not, I take a chance on them. Captain Marvel isn't a character I usually enjoy, but I did invest in The Life Of Captain Marvel because it was a mini-series.

I know others prefer each title to be "ongoing" until proven otherwise. Because it means it might go the distance. Plus there is the fact ongoings often far better in sales due to the fact customers are more likely to buy ongoings rather than mini-series. But there is nothing worse than buying a title and having the rug pulled out from under you. Especially when that money could have gone to something else.

Most characters can't sustain a ongoing in this market. I'd much prefer those characters get a shot in shorter series. Because if a character gets an ongoing, and it fails, most customers come to the conclusion those characters are failures (especially if they get multiple ongoings that don't catch on.) But, if you do them as a mini-series, people know its finite and could be worth a shot. Kind of like what they did with Venom and Iron-Fist in the 90's.

Astonishing Member

Yes the answer is always yes, because #1 sell and letting writers complete there work wrapping up all plot points is bad

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Which is what I said. They are going to relaunch titles, not reboot.

It's just another relaunch that is only noticeable because a bunch of titles are doing it and some themed variants for 2020. That's it.
    I don't think it is line-wide though (which I think the OP is assuming is the case.) We know the X-Men franchise has multiple waves planned. But those are tied into what Hickman is doing. Doctor Strange we know for certain is getting relaunched. Thor and GoTG are also in the offering. Captain America is the only one I didn't know until this morning. But it doesn't surprise me.

Ironheart is done with #12. I am told Champions is also done. Apparently there are further plans for Riri because Eve Ewing confirmed as much on twitter the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think they are going to do that with the Dawn of X books too. I am expecting 12 issue runs, then all the books fold in for a possible mini series that will launch Phase 2 of Dawn of X, and then new titles on the Phase 2 launch. I think they have this all planned out for the X-books for the next 3 years.
    Year 1 - HoX/PoX - Dawn of X Phase 1 books
    Year 2 - Dawn of X Phase 2 books
    Year 3 - Dawn of X Phase 3 books - unless sales nosedive then they might rethink the current base of the X-books and switch to new writers and a new storyline. I do think they are going to let Hickman have the full 3 years on the X-books though.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    I think the OP means a Re-Launch, where Marvel will star new series with several number ones and not a reboot.
    I mean, why would Marvel do a reboot around this time? They retcon, omit or avoid continuity but don't reboot.
    They need a reboot though.