Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 105 of 105
  1. #91
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Yeah-during the prequel era, the EU went a bit retcon crazy because a lot of the material contradicted what was established about the war in Zahn's novels, among others.

    -I think of the Quinlan Vos issues dealt with the Noghri catastrophe from the books.
    -The Jango Fett comic miniseries tried to resolve the continuity issue about Boba Fett being "Jaster Mereel" (Although the storyline about his wife and stuff remained intact and was incorporated into Legacy of the Force).
    -Zahn wrote a clone Wars story trying to explain where the Spaarti stuff fit within the wars....
    -The Darth Bane novels tried to explain why the Republic had a military in the "Tales of the Jedi" and "Knights of the Old Republic" stuff but seems to have not much except the Jedi and local system fleets by the time of the prequels (Hence the need for a new army), and also why Palpatine and others seem to imply the Republic is only a thousand years old. I think the explanation is that basically Ruusan (The big Jedi/Sith conflict that left the Sith "extinct") was so bad the Republic pretty much had to start from scratch.
    Yeah, heard about some of them and read a few. Some worked, others I thought were so convoluted that I think they should've just said "not canon" and been done with it. (Case in point, like how in Legends, they tried to cobble together the different accounts of who stole the Death Star plans into one "they all had parts of it" mess, while canon just said: "here's what happened, the other stories aren't the "real" versions.")

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    The Force Awakens was good when it came to toys, The Last Jedi... not so much
    We have had years for the other movies to build up their lines and all that. In any event, say TLJ did have a weaker toy line; it could happen and I doubt it's going to affect the movie's status long-term.
    Last edited by WebLurker; 10-04-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  2. #92
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,206

    Default

    ROS already looks like it's definetly been made with more merchandise in mind; a lot more fighters, stormtrooper variants (Although those I don't think helped SOLO that much), Knights of Ren and what looks like a bunch of "cute" creatures for example. Plus Foe and Pinn have gotten brand new looks too, whereas TLJ just kind of went with their TFA looks apart from Finn in the First Order outfit.


    Most of the new stuff in TLJ was mainly the Raddus and Capital ships, which aren't really merchandised that much outside of minatures (Hasbro/Kenner did do an experimental line of SW capital ships, perhaps to keep in competition with the Star Trek line; ultiametly only three ships-the Blockade Runner, a Star Destroyer and Super Star Destroyer were made. They're among the highest sought more modern SW toys)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 10-04-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  3. #93
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    We have had years for the other movies to build up their lines and all that. In any event, say TLJ did have a weaker toy line; it could happen and I doubt it's going to affect the movie's status long-term.
    The toys that I listed came out around 2 years after the movies release, yes the lines have been built up past that over even more years. Lucas made more money on the toys than he did on the movies but the movies drove those sells the toys really could not exist without the movies. I find it ironic that people call out Disney for pushing a movie to sell products, yet Disney made a movie that did quit the opposite.
    Rian Johnson was to busy making plot twist (and plot holes), leaning on plot devices and unneeded unfunny jokes, and trying to hard to subverted expectations of the audience than to make a good movie that would further the story and open up marketing past the box office. Attack of the Clones kicked off most likely the most marketable eras in Star Wars with the Clone Wars. It set off so many books, cartoons, comics, video games, and a ton of toys. Empire set up the story that people really wanted to see the next instalment. It brought our heroes to a low point with a few plot twist and none seemed to push the story the sake of creating drama just to have it. A reason other than I got ya!

    If you like Jonson's movie, good for you, you can look past the horrible story telling, writing, and character development, I can't. In the end he made a terrible caricature of The Empire Strikes Back that took way all of the feel and emotion out of it by trying to force in feel and emotion. It is the worst Star Wars move of any of them all and that, will be the movies status long-term. Abrams may pull something off and be able to tie it all together in the end to make it palatable, but I've now watched the movie 4 times hoping that maybe I'm being a little too judgmental. But no, every time I watch it I find something else to dislike about it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    ROS already looks like it's definetly been made with more merchandise in mind; a lot more fighters, stormtrooper variants (Although those I don't think helped SOLO that much), Knights of Ren and what looks like a bunch of "cute" creatures for example. Plus Foe and Pinn have gotten brand new looks too, whereas TLJ just kind of went with their TFA looks apart from Finn in the First Order outfit.
    Judging from what I've seen agree that it seems to more merchandise minded. SOLO had many issues, which is sad because I really enjoyed it and thought that it opened up a new avenue away from empire vs rebels story line with the crime syndicates being the antagonist.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 10-04-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  4. #94
    Ultimate Member Gray Lensman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    10,448

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, heard about some of them and read a few. Some worked, others I thought were so convoluted that I think they should've just said "not canon" and been done with it. (Case in point, like how in Legends, they tried to cobble together the different accounts of who stole the Death Star plans into one "they all had parts of it" mess, while canon just said: "here's what happened, the other stories aren't the "real" versions.")



    We have had years for the other movies to build up their lines and all that. In any event, say TLJ did have a weaker toy line; it could happen and I doubt it's going to affect the movie's status long-term.
    I think one of the issues for TLJ toys is that the stuff for the heroes didn't get to do anything other than get unceremoniously blown to pieces. Every new thing was relegated to the loser pile that kids hand to the annoying cousin they are forced to play with by the adults in the family but really don't want to.
    "Theory: The Phoenix doesn't corrupt the characters, it corrupts the authors." Gambit, King of Thieves

  5. #95
    Non-fanboy Member Cel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Level 42
    Posts
    401

    Default

    I also think Hasbro mismanaged the 3.75-inch lines for both Episode VIII and Solo. Some figures weren't available as singles--they were either only in combo packs or with vehicles. Most serious collectors probably didn't mind, but it might have made more casual or more economical-minded consumers think twice, IMO...
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1

  6. #96
    Incredible Member Gurz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    611

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    I also think Hasbro mismanaged the 3.75-inch lines for both Episode VIII and Solo. Some figures weren't available as singles--they were either only in combo packs or with vehicles. Most serious collectors probably didn't mind, but it might have made more casual or more economical-minded consumers think twice, IMO...
    I'm kind of serious collector but they miss manage black series as well... I just checked out a online toy store and no single sale of Mandalorian figure so i haven't bought a Mandalorian figure yet .............. I don't usually collect Black series 'cause they were pretty crapy until recent and i damn very well won't get the whole line of 8 figures for 170 dolars, i rather get a Hot Toys Madalorian for that money. Hasbro....
    Bad bad boy with a bad bad girl in a bad bad world.

    Favorite Characters:
    1-Batman, 2- Wolverine 3-Nightwing, 4-Darkness, 5- Blade

  7. #97
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,381

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I'm kind of serious collector but they miss manage black series as well... I just checked out a online toy store and no single sale of Mandalorian figure so i haven't bought a Mandalorian figure yet .............. I don't usually collect Black series 'cause they were pretty crapy until recent and i damn very well won't get the whole line of 8 figures for 170 dolars, i rather get a Hot Toys Madalorian for that money. Hasbro....
    As a fellow collector, the only things about Episode Nine I'm looking forward to are the Sith Troopers and Knights of Ren (especially the 12 inch or 1:6 scale variants). I've lost interest in the current Era of Star Wars after the last movie. I hope they can regain my interest but I'm not holding my breath.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  8. #98
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    The toys that I listed came out around 2 years after the movies release, yes the lines have been built up past that over even more years. Lucas made more money on the toys than he did on the movies but the movies drove those sells the toys really could not exist without the movies. I find it ironic that people call out Disney for pushing a movie to sell products, yet Disney made a movie that did quit the opposite.
    In the circles I travel in, I see more complaints over Disney/LucasFilm "politicizing" the new movies (which only shows me that the people in question really weren't paying attention to the earlier ones).[/QUOTE]
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  9. #99
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,429

    Default

    Star Wars fans are weird.

    People called for George's head after the prequels and that he never got Star Wars.

    So he sold.

    And now they want him back.

    Maybe don't be jerks to people that create cool things you like?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  10. #100
    iMan 42s
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    3,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    I'm kind of serious collector but they miss manage black series as well... I just checked out a online toy store and no single sale of Mandalorian figure so i haven't bought a Mandalorian figure yet .............. I don't usually collect Black series 'cause they were pretty crapy until recent and i damn very well won't get the whole line of 8 figures for 170 dolars, i rather get a Hot Toys Madalorian for that money. Hasbro....
    Check Amazon.
    Ordering directly from the warehouse is almost always cheaper and direct is right now 20 dollars (shipping is almost 30). You'd have to wait for them to restock but they're getting more in relatively quickly if you can wait until the end of the month (at least that's how it is around here). I don't know what listings you've seen but otherwise at most they run 40 dollars from retailers looking to scalp. None of these listings have it at 170.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

  11. #101
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,206

    Default

    It seems largely that Hasbro has generally been more interested in the 6 inch more collector friendly stuff more so than the smaller figures.


    That goes for Marvel as well.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  12. #102
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It seems largely that Hasbro has generally been more interested in the 6 inch more collector friendly stuff more so than the smaller figures.


    That goes for Marvel as well.
    Because kids don't really care about toys anymore as at least as not as much as they did. The market is moving more to the collector.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  13. #103
    Astonishing Member ChrisIII's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,206

    Default

    The smaller figures have also, for the most part, declined in quality, with less articulation, detail etc. and there's also the 12 inch figures that are made of really cheap plastic that are out now. Kind of started before Disney though.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

    https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

  14. #104
    Wrath of a God Xero Kaiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Star Wars fans are weird.

    People called for George's head after the prequels and that he never got Star Wars.

    So he sold.

    And now they want him back.

    Maybe don't be jerks to people that create cool things you like?
    Yep, he flat-out said he didn't want to make any more Star Wars movies because people were ripping into him so hard.

    Criticism is one thing, but people got carried away just because they're on the internet. Now Disney (and EA) are calling the shots and they immediately dropped the hammer on everything. Games, comics, the EU as a whole...

    And it's not coming back because nobody's gonna hurt Disney's feelings enough for them to give it back to Lucas.
    Last edited by Xero Kaiser; 10-08-2019 at 03:03 PM.

  15. #105
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    6,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It seems largely that Hasbro has generally been more interested in the 6 inch more collector friendly stuff more so than the smaller figures.


    That goes for Marvel as well.
    Remember when Hasbro had their last "pick the next toy" contest for the smaller action figure line (Doctor Aphra won), there was a Star Wars toy collecting website that mad that the vote was a made public, ostensibly that toy collectors were the only ones who mattered.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •