Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default George Lucas thoughts on Force Awakens. Upset and Betrayed.

Very interesting development here from Bob Iger. Apparently George Lucas was not happy Disney did not follow his ideas for the sequels, Lucas also thinks what many fans have also said, Episode 7 was a copy of A new hope.

https://www.gamesradar.com/george-lu...gy-7-bob-iger/

If Lucas felt this way about Episode 7, I wonder how he felt about Episode 8: The Last Jedi. Well, I think this means JJ Abrams must not truly be a talented film maker. I also think Lucas comments are ill timed. It's the last quarter of the year and the momentum for episode 9 has started to build, this is just gong to rile up people and push further negativity before episode 9 gets any fair chance.

Also why is Lucas feeling so betrayed, was there not a contract he signed to make sure that his stories were not discarded?

I just don't know what George expected. After the reception the prequels got, Disney had nothing to loose by going in a new direction (even if their new direction was a rehashing of the first movie).

And actually, the timing of these comments aren't on George at all. They're on Iger, who put these comments in his book and released it 3 months before the next movie.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I just don't know what George expected. After the reception the prequels got, Disney had nothing to loose by going in a new direction (even if their new direction was a rehashing of the first movie).

And actually, the timing of these comments aren't on George at all. They're on Iger, who put these comments in his book and released it 3 months before the next movie.
    You know who I feel more embarrassed for? JJ Abrams not Bob Iger. Abrams has spent years gushing about how he loves Lucas and Star Wars, even when he was making star trek movies. It must suck when the creator is not a fan of your movie but feels very betrayed to the point of anger, it sucks harder that Abrams ended up making a better star trek reboot than a star wars reboot as a bigger star wars fan but in fairness to Abrams, how much control did he personally have? we know Disney does not give writers and directors the best creative choices so we can't place all the blame on Abrams as the director, writer and producer of the force awakens.

I just don't think Episode 9 stands a fair chance, I am getting a X-Men Dark Phoenix vibe in the sense that people have already rejected it before seeing it.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-24-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Retired

Abrams is a good film-maker. The problem with the Star Wars movies is in the creative decisions (which might have been made by people above Abrams)--but that has nothing to do with the actual craft of making movies. Someone should have figured out that putting all three of the original actors in a scene together in FORCE AWAKENS would have satisfied everyone. They had no way of knowing for sure if they could get those actors back for the next movie--and they clearly knew they weren't going to have Harrison Ford. So why not film one scene with Luke, Leia and Han? It's sheer stupidity that they didn't do that when they had the chance.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I really dislike the sequel trilogy so far, but you're delusional if you think the last episode will fail. It's going to be huge at the box office just like the last two episodes and heck, I bet there will be a ton of people who will absolutely love it just like there were for the last two.

The idea that these are universally, or even majorly disliked is a fallacy.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

George Lucas lost the mission a long time ago.

The sequel movies are not as good as the original trilogy, but leaps and bounds better than the prequels.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Abrams is a good film-maker. The problem with the Star Wars movies is in the creative decisions (which might have been made by people above Abrams)--but that has nothing to do with the actual craft of making movies. Someone should have figured out that putting all three of the original actors in a scene together in FORCE AWAKENS would have satisfied everyone. They had no way of knowing for sure if they could get those actors back for the next movie--and they clearly knew they weren't going to have Harrison Ford. So why not film one scene with Luke, Leia and Han? It's sheer stupidity that they didn't do that when they had the chance.
    It is a really odd creative choice and kind of heartbreaking considering there's not any other live action franchise with the forty years of history attached.

I don't know, I feel like they were going out of their way to not fully utilize the original cast because they were worried the new cast would suffer by comparison, when I don't think that would have been the case.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    It is a really odd creative choice and kind of heartbreaking considering there's not any other live action franchise with the forty years of history attached.

I don't know, I feel like they were going out of their way to not fully utilize the original cast because they were worried the new cast would suffer by comparison, when I don't think that would have been the case.
    Its more heartbreaking when you realize JJ Abrams had no creative choice. there is a big huge difference between force awakens and star trek 2009, I saw JJ the film maker in star trek 2009 regardless of if you like the movie or his style or not. in force awakens I saw a man hired to be a yes man to anything disney wanted and we knew nothing about his actual input in the movie.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-30-2019 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    You know who I feel more embarrassed for? JJ Abrams not Bob Iger. Abrams has spent years gushing about how he loves Lucas and Star Wars, even when he was making star trek movies. It must suck when the creator is not a fan of your movie but feels very betrayed to the point of anger, it sucks harder that Abrams ended up making a better star trek reboot than a star wars reboot as a bigger star wars fan but in fairness to Abrams, how much control did he personally have? we know Disney does not give writers and directors the best creative choices so we can't place all the blame on Abrams as the director, writer and producer of the force awakens.

I just don't think Episode 9 stands a fair chance, I am getting a X-Men Dark Phoenix vibe in the sense that people have already rejected it before seeing it.
    Abrams is a really good director, but he is not a writer. Disney should have realized this when they saw his Trek work.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Particularly when George's ideas centered around the midi-chlorians, which as he explained were microbiotic and a conduit to the Whils. I felt like Clone Wars did a decent job fixing some early issues with the prequels and how the Force was explained (particularly with regard to the Ones from Mortis), so I can understand why Disney would want to move away from midi-cholorians. I would have preferred if Luke was there in TFA to explain the mysticism of the Force, but that didn't happen--I'm just glad we didn't get an Episode 7 with Luke showing a young jedi a microscope while carrying on with pseudo-science exposition.

The timing is a bit odd, but I'm still super excited for Episode 9 (and The Mandalorian as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Very interesting development here from Bob Iger. Apparently George Lucas was not happy Disney did not follow his ideas for the sequels, Lucas also thinks what many fans have also said, Episode 7 was a copy of A new hope.

https://www.gamesradar.com/george-lu...gy-7-bob-iger/

If Lucas felt this way about Episode 7, I wonder how he felt about Episode 8: The Last Jedi. Well, I think this means JJ Abrams must not truly be a talented film maker. I also think Lucas comments are ill timed. It's the last quarter of the year and the momentum for episode 9 has started to build, this is just gong to rile up people and push further negativity before episode 9 gets any fair chance.

Also why is Lucas feeling so betrayed, was there not a contract he signed to make sure that his stories were not discarded?
    At one time, Lucas stated that there would never be another Star Wars movie after Episode 3 and the specific reason he stated was because he didn't financially have any need to do Episodes 1, 2 and 3 but he did them because of fan demand and then got nothing but whining and anger and he had no need to do anymore. He said that even if someone came along and offered to do another trilogy and he didn't have to do the work, he still wouldn't do it because, while some fans were still cool, the guff he took just wasn't worth it. But then Disney bought the ship and now he's doing the same thing fans did to him although he didn't keep harping on it.

Yes, Episode 7 was highly derivative. He's not wrong. But I've never heard that there was any contract on what Disney could do with future stories. If anything, Lucas seemed happy to walk away from Star Wars. He did give them outlines of what his plans had been for the last trilogy but I never heard they were obligated to use his outlines.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    At one time, Lucas stated that there would never be another Star Wars movie after Episode 3 and the specific reason he stated was because he didn't financially have any need to do Episodes 1, 2 and 3 but he did them because of fan demand and then got nothing but whining and anger and he had no need to do anymore. He said that even if someone came along and offered to do another trilogy and he didn't have to do the work, he still wouldn't do it because, while some fans were still cool, the guff he took just wasn't worth it. But then Disney bought the ship and now he's doing the same thing fans did to him although he didn't keep harping on it.

Yes, Episode 7 was highly derivative. He's not wrong. But I've never heard that there was any contract on what Disney could do with future stories. If anything, Lucas seemed happy to walk away from Star Wars. He did give them outlines of what his plans had been for the last trilogy but I never heard they were obligated to use his outlines.
    Basically. Ever since these news came out, you have all these YouTube videos coming out and crapping on Disney for moving away from GL's vision but none of them acknowledge why Disney might have wanted to distance themselves from his concepts.

Or why GL wanted to wash his hands of the Star Wars franchise in the first place.

George Lucas speaks for a lot of us.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    But not all of us.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    But not all of us.
    The people Lucas does not speak for are the people that so badly want rotten tomatoes to matter in a serious conversation about the quality of a movie or thinks box office success automatically means a movie qualifies as good art.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Its obvious George Lucas speaks for the people that care about what's in the movie, the content and film making. people who did not grow up and are into the shallow culture of rotten tomatoes and box office dollars.

Again look at what lucas said in a nutshell. the film making choices is poor. which is what most of us have been saying about not just star wars but most disney movies that is subjected to this bizarre manufactured formula, Lucas is a film maker at heart. its no surprise he ended up disliking Disney. Disney does not firstly make films, they make products and films later.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-30-2019 at 08:12 AM.