Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Default 50 Years Young: Vampirella. To Space And Hell And Back - Vampirella Appreciation

We use to have one of these, but it got purged. So, I thought I would start it again, since it's her 50th birthday and all. Hope this is okay! I figured it having one place to talk about Vampi would be better then a ton of threads haha. I'm sure people know, I'm a huge Vampirella fan, and now we are going to have three Vampirella ongoings, Vampirella (Out yesterday, July 17th), Vampirella/Red Sonja (Out September 4th) and Vengeance of Vampirella (Out in October).

History:

Vampi has been published by three main publishers, and has a mixed of origins as well. She also had a movie in 1996.

Starting in September 1969, Vampriella was a horror comic published by Warren Publishing. She was from the planet Drakulon, a world where a vampiric race lived on blood and where blood flowed in rivers. After some humans visited her dying planet, she discovered that they had blood in their veins. She took the ship they came on and flew to earth and crashed, this is where her adventure started. Her comic continued being published by Warren Publishing in till March 1983, giving her an amazing 112 issue run.

Later, in the 1990's, Harris Publishing bought the rights to Vampirella, after Warren went bankrupted. They published a lot of different comic titles for her with 2 main volumes. But it is here, her origin was first re-done. Becoming the daughter of Lilith and getting more of a supernatural background, and making it that her brother and sister brainwashed her into thinking her home planet was real. Later on in Vampirella Lives her origin was re-done again, making Drakulon real, put a place in hell.

Recently:

In 2010 Dynamite Comics acquired the rights to Vampirella from Harris Comics. And in November 2010 they started a new series which lasted awhile. In this series her origin was taken backseat making it something Vampi never truly understood and was lost in it. She fought demons, Dracula, and sometimes had to deal with time travel and outer space stories with aliens.

In 2014 she had new series, by Nancy Collins, this time dealing with a origin that was supernatural, being the daughter of Lilith and fighting other Vampires and monsters.

Vampi has also in a big time cross over event titled Swords of Sorrow, which has females from all over Dynamite coming together to fight a big evil.

Vampi then was featured in a series that shook up her status a bit, by changing her costume and making her a Hollywood star! After that series ended, she
    was in a series that shook her up again, by not only changing her costume and look again, but by also placing her is a alternate world/future that dealt with Vampi's many origins and also revealed her Pansexuality.

Vampirella currently is in a brand new series, that just released, written by Christopher Priest, and drawn by Ergun Gunduz. She will also be featured in a new ongoing, Vampirella/Red Sonja, written by Jordie Bellaire and art by Drew Moss. That series will take place in the 70s. It will be the first ongoing featuring those two character together, and will deal with a freshly earthed Vampirella and a young, out of time Red Sonja. And lastly, she will be in a new ongoing continuing a series from the 90s, Vengeance of Vampirella!
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I hope things go well for her. I mean most people feel the last ones weren't bad. For one of my friends told me they didn't built on the other runs. Rather just kept starting back to.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I hope things go well for her. I mean most people feel the last ones weren't bad. For one of my friends told me they didn't built on the other runs. Rather just kept starting back to.
    A lot of runs at the start like to do their own thing, but they all normal include some kind of history and build on each other a little bit. Like Priest's new series, looks like it will have a lot of her old allies and badies.
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Priest did say that he is keeping her whole history. So far it seems the alien origin is staying

I kind of have a question if Vampirella and her species have blood as their h20 . I wonder what their blood is. I mean it seems maybe they didn’t have a war. It’s only guess since I have only read the first issue of the Warren magazine since they reprinted it
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 07-18-2019 at 11:08 PM.

All-New Member

Apologies for jumping on this but seems an appropriate topic!

Hi,

We just wanted to let everyone know about our new auction to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Vampirella, running from Friday 19th July until Tuesday 30th July. It will feature many of the original Warren Publishing comic series as well as several originals from classic industry artists such as Enric Torres Prats, Sanjulian, Gonzalo Mayo, Pepe Gonzalez and many more.

https://www.catawiki.com/a/257879

kind regards
    Tim

1f84d7c3-7508-4a82-ad3b-47693889461a.jpg
    9dfcb658-8fcf-4cf0-b15a-fe25cfc210c6.jpg
    8ce4d6f7-e65e-4d84-8247-57dbfb0c2eb2.jpg

Are the sale numbers in?

First issue was solid. I liked the Sam Jackson/Mr Glass psychiatrist guy, lol.

And Von Kreist being back is a fun surprise. Its gonna be interesting to see how the more old fashioned pulpy-ness of Vampirella clashes into the modern day social network sensebilities and cult of celebrity.

The first issue was a great read, IMO. I'll give it 3.5 out of 5 stars, solid start.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I recently started reading Vampirella. I read the Masters series and a few one shots. I also read some stories featuring Pantha. I understand the last series had Pantha become a villain. Any one know if there are plans to have her return as a hero?