Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    10/1 - It Follows (2014) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Follows
    10/2 - A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    1. Mad Love (1935)
    2. Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
    3. Kuroneko (1968)

Two peasant women are raped and killed by samurai. They come back as vampire-like spirits seeking revenge.

I think I'll have to try and track this one down

BANNED

1. Mad Love (1935)
    3. Kuroneko (1968)
    4. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

A doctor, scientist, organist, and biblical scholar, Anton Phibes, seeks revenge on the nine doctors he considers responsible for his wife's death.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think I'll have to try and track this one down
    It’s a beautiful looking movie. Most of it is set in a foggy bamboo grove. Make sure you watch it at night with the lights off!

I think this covers all the Rob Zombie movies rather than 3 From Hell which I'm watching tomorrow
    1. 31
    2. House of 1000 Corpses
    3. The Devil's Rejects
    4. the Lords of Salem
    5. Halloween (Rob Zombie)
    6. Halloween II (again Rob Zombie)
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 10-03-2019 at 08:22 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

5. The Demon (1963)

Purif curses Antonio when he chooses to marry someone else, inciting the townspeople to believe she is a witch.

This movie did the upside-down possessed crawl ten years before The Exorcist.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    1. Evil Dead 2
    2. Prom Night
    3. Dracula (1979)

Like Evil Dead, this is one I'm pretty sure I saw years ago, before I would have cared enough to pay attention to it. This time around I was more receptive, but I still only liked it, not loved it. Langella are both Oliver pretty good in it, though neither are in danger of being claimed the best portrayal of these roles. Always fun to see Donald Pleasence pop up outside a Halloween movie, but nobody else in the cast was particularly memorable. The vampire women were pretty creepy in this one, done up in more demon-like makeup with a glowing eye effect.

In a lot of ways, it feels more like a remake of the Lugosi version than a new adaptation of the book. Which would stand to reason, as both this and the Lugosi version were based on the same stage play.

Been a few years since I've last participated in this, but let's see if I can do it again.

I'll probably go into more detail, review-wise, with the following entries since I won't have to play catch-up.
    -------

10/01: Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
    Synopsis: "An orphaned girl discovers that the reclusive Blacksmith is keeping a demon imprisoned in order to avoid paying his debt to the Devil." (IMDB Entry)
    Review: I had never heard of this one until I actually watched it, so I had no idea what it was about (other than the synopsis) or what to expect. While it does start off on a slow-burn, in the end, what I got was a fantastic dark comedy based on an old fable.

10/02: Southbound
    Synopsis: "Five interlocking tales of terror follow the fates of a group of weary travelers who confront their worst nightmares and darkest secrets on a desolate stretch of desert highway." (Wikipedia Entry)
    Review:It's somewhat difficult to get into talking this one beyond the surface-level, but it's one of those films with tons of minor details to pick up with each viewing and offers and its own interesting take on the consequences one may face for one's actions. Definitely an interesting one.

10/03: Murder Party
    Synopsis: "Christopher, a lonely and plain man, finds an invitation to a Halloween costume party entitled "Murder Party", on the street. Constructing a knight costume out of cardboard, he makes his way to Brooklyn to attend the party, only to discover it is actually a trap set by a group of deranged art students." (Wikipedia Entry)
    Review: This was another interesting one, but unlike Southbound which hid a lot of its details from the initial viewer, this one is upfront about what it is. There's a charm to this one that I currently cannot really describe that most likely derives from the contrast from the grim nature of the concept against the general incompetence of the captors and the overall pokes and jabs at the stereotypical over pretentiousness of the art world. While I recommend it, I can see how some might not enjoy it.

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1 - The Old Dark House (1932)
    October 2nd. 2 - The Redeemer: Son of Satan(1976)
    October 3rd. 3 - Prison (1987)

Viggo Mortensen starred in a horror movie in the 80s, who knew?! Also starring Lois & Clark's Perry White and the live action Teela.
    Innocent (?) man got executed, decades later his spirit haunts the reopened prison and the corrupt warden who condemned him. I question how innocent the guy really was because as a ghost, he sure seems happy to kill anybody, guards and convicts alike. Pretty well made schlock by Renny Harlin, but I think the first kill should have gone later in the movie because it's so over-the-top supernatural that some of the later events seem like a de-escalation.

I watched this on Comet and it looked like they used an old VHS copy of the movie for their broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    3. Dracula (1979)

Always fun to see Donald Pleasence pop up outside a Halloween movie,
    And playing another psychiatrist!

In a lot of ways, it feels more like a remake of the Lugosi version than a new adaptation of the book. Which would stand to reason, as both this and the Lugosi version were based on the same stage play.
    Yeah, though this one has less of a stagey feel thanks to changing locations some more. And still one of my favorite Dracula deaths anywhere.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-04-2020 at 07:03 PM.

Catch up

Day 2
    Outpost: Rise of the Spetsnaz
    Law of diminishing returns in full effect here. Doesn't come anywhere near the quality of the first movie, which I quite enjoyed. One to avoid.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0L6AV1Km0

Day3
    Late Phases
    Nice surprise that one. Oddball set-up that plays out well, pacing works and with decent performances from the bulk of the cast. Let down a bit with the ending, suffers from rubber suit syndrome once the beasts take centre stage.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw38h0AGyiU

Day 4
    When a Stranger Calls
    One of those movies where there's nothing particularly bad on show, it's just all a bit too familiar, nothing you haven't seen before and done better.
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIgkbigAzjY

Fantastic Member

6 - The Exorcist III (1990)

exorcist-iii-poster.jpg

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Day 3: An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 10-04-2019 at 02:33 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

10/1 - It Follows (2014) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Follows
    10/2 - A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street
    10/3 - Wrong Turn (2003) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrong_Turn

Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyman, Candyma....
    1. 31
    2. House of 1000 Corpses
    3. The Devil's Rejects
    4. the Lords of Salem
    5. Halloween (Rob Zombie)
    6. Halloween II (again Rob Zombie)
    7. Candyman
    8. Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh
    9. Candyman: Day of the Dead
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

1. Mad Love (1935)
    3. Kuroneko (1968)
    4. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
    5. The Demon (1963)
    6. Hour of the Wolf (1968)

An artist in crisis is haunted by nightmares from the past in Ingmar Bergman’s only horror film, which takes place on a windy island. During “the hour of the wolf” – between midnight and dawn – he tells his wife about his most painful memories.