Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Day 4: Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

BANNED

1. Mad Love (1935)
    2. Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
    3. Kuroneko (1968)
    4. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
    5. The Demon (1963)
    6. Hour of the Wolf (1968)
    7. The Addams Family (1964)

I binge watched the first season. Obviously not a movie but i’m counting it anyway.

Astonishing Member

1-The Conjuring.(2013)

2-Killer Klowns from Outer Space.(1988)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer...om_Outer_Space

3-Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid.(2004)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anacon...e_Blood_Orchid

10/01: Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
    10/02: Southbound
    10/03: Murder Party
    10/04: Candyman
    10/05: C.H.U.D.
    Synopsis: "A rash of bizarre murders in New York City seems to point to a group of grotesquely deformed vagrants living in the sewers. A courageous policeman, a photojournalist and his girlfriend, and a nutty bum, who seems to know a lot about the creatures, band together to try and determine what the creatures are and how to stop them." (IMDb Entry)
    Review: Like my previous entry, this was a movie I had heard about but never actually seen. While I did find the focus of the vagrants of New York an interesting concept and the movie was a good popcorn flick, it just didn't really grab me like other movies. Worth a look at if you haven't seen it.

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1 - The Old Dark House (1932)
    October 2nd. 2 - The Redeemer: Son of Satan (1976)
    October 3rd. 3 - Prison (1987)
    October 4th. 4 - Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990). 5. Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
    October 5th. 6 - Mothra vs Godzilla (1964). 7 - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957).

I don't like how Godzilla seems to be a klutz for his rampage scene, but otherwise he's still destructive beast here, not a superhero.

He previously fought King Kong and there's actually some (accidental, perhaps) story follow-up here, as humans previously used electric fencing to repel him and now they use stronger electric towers in an attempt to kill him.

Apparently the Japanese government has no authority to stop some businessmen from doing whatever they want with an obvious Giant Monster egg that has washed on shore. Even after multiple Kaiju incidents have ravaged the nation.

The American version, dubbed "Godzilla vs The Thing" actually includes a scene removed from the Japanese cut, of U.S. warships bombing Godzilla with missiles.

Hammer's first foray into the territory of the Universal monster films stars Peter Cushing as the creator and features Christopher Lee as the creature. Cushing's performance as the villainous, obsessive baron is a hoot and what drives the entire movie. The script would be a lot better of it didn't make his lab partner such a dottering idiot even after he explicitly rejects their work.

Cushing did several more of these flicks and I hope to check them out.
    Last edited by Jared; 08-21-2020 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    1. Evil Dead 2
    2. Prom Night
    3. Dracula (1979)
    4. In the Mouth of Madness
    5. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II

So, there are a lot of franchises that were created when a completely independent movie is repackaged as a sequel to another one. And Prom Night is one of those, but it's unique in a couple ways. First, the movies that retroactively became sequel are usually not much better ones than the original, and this one is. Second, they're not usually a completely different genre (or sub-genre, in this case), and this one is that too.

Where Prom Night was a completely forgettable slasher, Prom Night II is a pretty decent ghost/possession story. The characters are better, the villain is MUCH better, there are some legitimately good special effects, and a couple of actually-decent scares.

I did not expect anything at all from this movie, only watching it to complete the first season of Joe Bob's "Last Drive-In" on Shudder, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Fantastic Member

9 - Evil Dead II (1986)
    10 - Army Of Darkness (1992)

evil-dead-2-dvdcover-e1455670613454.jpg
    11572044.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    7 - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
    These are two I watch at least once a year, but I saw them both in late September so I couldn’t count them on my list.

Coppola’s Dracula is my favorite adaptation of the novel, despite the spotty acting from certain players and that one rather large plot deviation.

Hammer’s Frankenstein is not my favorite (that honor goes to Universal), but I still really like it. Curse is definitely the best of the series, but Revenge of Frankenstein and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed are also standouts.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Day 1: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012)
    Day 2: Alien (1979)
    Day 3: An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Day 5: Dracula (1931)

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

5) The Woman in Black II
    I was a big fan of the original but I only just saw the sequel for the first time today. While not as great as the first film(horror sequels hardly are) the atmosphere was still really fantastic and the tense score heightened the few jump scares employed turning them into legitimately scary moments.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 10-06-2019 at 07:45 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Incredible Member

October 4th. 4 - Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990). 5. Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
    October 5th. 6 - Mothra vs Godzilla (1964). 7 - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957). 8. The Horror of Dracula (1958)

Just Dracula in its U.K. release, I prefer the American (and elsewhere?) title as it not only differentiates it from other films more easily, it fits with how Hammer titled their Frankenstein reimagining.

I still can't help but chuckle at how inept Harker is in the first part. And having previously watched the entire series, it's a real shame that Lee's Drac and Cushing's Van Helsing don't have an actual exchange of dialogue until the much inferior later films.

Incredible Member

October 5th. 6 - Mothra vs Godzilla (1964). 7 - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957). 8. The Horror of Dracula (1958)
    October 6th. 9 - Tremors (1990). 10 - Tremors 2: Aftershocks (1996)

(note: monster in poster is not to scale)

I've always enjoyed this movie. I think I first saw it on cable, maybe it was HBO. Anyway, it's a fun romp of a creature feature.

I noticed the name Gale Ann Hurd in the credits as a producer. It stuck out because of the recent development that the rights to The Terminator will be reverting to her next year. (Or her and James Cameron, I would assume).

Remember straight to video sequels to theatrical movies? This was one of the good ones. Kevin Bacon didn't come back, but Fred Ward did, along with Michael Gross. Gross's scene-stealing Burt Gummer character is the polar opposite of Stephen Keaton from Family Ties, he always seems like he's having a ton of fun playing him.

This was made a couple years after Jurassic Park, so I think it's no coincidence that the larval form of the graboids are introduced and they're raptor-like.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Whitmore View Post
    This is the third part of his informal "Apocalypse Trilogy", which I also knew nothing about. But it fits, based on the only other part of the "trilogy" I've seen, The Thing. Gonna have to get around to Prince of Darkness someday and wrap the whole thing up.
    There's no in-story connection, but they're all about potentially dire threats to humanity. And there's a lot of Lovecraft influence, perhaps most obvious in 'Mouth of Madness, but Carpenter's Thing is essentially a Shoggoth with more refined shape shifting ability.
    Last edited by Jared; 10-06-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Fantastic Member

11 - Hellraiser (1987)

3Z0oPHyLnk3Vx6ZMC1MiVwIrKhO.jpg