Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

watched The VVitch last night.

I cannot say enough about how much I adore that film. Everything about it is perfect.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post

I cannot say enough about how much I adore that film. Everything about it is perfect.
    Definitely one of my all time favorites...and it's on Netflix right now so if you haven't seen it then do yourself a big favor and do so!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Mama

Although I enjoy the 2013 feature length version, I think the original short feature is all the more thrilling. In its short run time it manages to create a very real, visceral sense of terror with absolutely zero context. Even before the sprit of their mother shows up your heart starts to race, and once she does...well, good luck sleeping without a night light tonight.

BANNED

1. Mad Love (1935)
    2. Shadow of the Vampire (2000)
    3. Kuroneko (1968)
    4. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)
    5. The Demon (1963)
    6. Hour of the Wolf (1968)
    7. The Addams Family (1964)
    8. The Gruesome Twosome (1967)
    9. Deep Red (1975)

A musician witnesses the murder of a famous psychic, and then teams up with a fiesty reporter to find the killer while evading attempts on their lives by the unseen killer bent on keeping a dark secret buried.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Kind of a bumpy start - Alien Invasion week on History took up my real attention, so I just DVRed and watched some random crap on SyFy and TCM.

1. Neverknock - is a thing I guess?
    2. Stickman - Something like that. A Slender Man ripoff maybe?
    3. A Nightmare on Elm Street - Hey I watched a real movie! Gonna be honest, I feel like this franchise is overhyped, but still a fun flick.
    4. Suspiria - I...I don't know how to explain this style of movie. It looks good, kinda psychedelic maybe, music can be jarring in parts. But good!

I got a silent film recorded I'll probably check out next, Haxan: Study of Witchcraft in the Dark Ages or something like that I think.
    Prolly going to watch a Godzilla marathon I saw going to be on tonight first though.

Will up my horror movie game next week, be all UFO shows out by then.
    5. Joker - Don't really need to go into detail here, check it out in theaters people! Is pretty good.
    6. Hocus Pocus - A Halloween classic, truly.
    7. Monster House - First time watching this, is alright.
    8. ...dang, I saw another movie on Freeform same night I watched Hocus Pocus and Monster House, but I forgot what it was...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    He looks like Colin Farrel!
    He’s a better actor too

Extraordinary Member

6. Hocus Pocus - A Halloween classic, truly.
    I love that the teenaged boy in Hocus Pocus is the same boy who played JR and Sue Ellen's son John Ross on Dallas. He was great in both.

[QUOTE=Sean Whitmore;4614936]1. Evil Dead 2 (1987)
    2. Prom Night (1980)
    3. Dracula (1979)
    4. In the Mouth of Madness (1994)
    5. Hello Mary Lou: Prom Night II (1987)
    6. Beyond Re-Animator (2003)
    7. Count Dracula (1970)

8. Hatchet (2006)

Another franchise that I'm finally getting around to. I liked it fine, but between the simplicity of the killer and the archetypal, post-Scream modern victims, it all felt a little...I dunno, manufactured? (I know, as opposed to 'real' horror movies that spring from the ground fully-formed, like carrots). Maybe that criticism is only valid in my head, but it's in there.

If nothing else, I have to give it credit for how over-the-top brutal and gory the kills are. When Victor Crowley uses weapons it kinda feels like watching Jason Voorhees in Player 2 colors, but a lot of the kills are him just ripping human bodies apart with super strength, which is a nice change of pace. And to my shock, I read afterwards that they were all practical effects, with CG only used to remove wires and such. That is legitimately impressive, and actually makes me want to see it again. As clips. On YouTube.

10/01: Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil
    10/02: Southbound
    10/03: Murder Party
    10/04: Candyman
    10/05: C.H.U.D.
    10/06: The Lair of the White Worm
    10/07: Frankenstein's Army
    10/08: Strangler of the Swamp
    Synopsis:"A number of swamp land men have died by strangulation and the inhabitants believe that an innocent man they hanged is seeking revenge on all of the male descendants of those responsible for his death." (IMDb Entry)
    Review: This was actually not my original entry for the day, that belongs to a film called The Quacky Slasher but I just couldn't bring myself to give it the entire day of Halloween, so I chose this one as a palette cleanser. The story is simple and while some of the characters can be rather annoying, this movie does use the atmosphere of the swamp to a great effect when it comes to setting the mood for a scene.

Fantastic Member

13 - Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth (1992)

hellraiser_3_poster_01.jpg

I love Monster House. Written by Dan Harmon!

Watched American Psycho tonight. Not really a Halloween movie, per se, but...

I love Monster House. Written by Dan Harmon!

Watched American Psycho tonight. Not really a Halloween movie, per se, but...

Incredible Member

October 1st. 1 - The Old Dark House (1932)
    October 2nd. 2 - The Redeemer: Son of Satan (1976)
    October 3rd. 3 - Prison (1987)
    October 4th. 4 - Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1990). 5. Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956)
    October 5th. 6 - Mothra vs Godzilla (1964). 7 - The Curse of Frankenstein (1957). 8. The Horror of Dracula (1958)
    October 6th. 9 - Tremors (1990). 10 - Tremors 2: Aftershocks (1996)
    October 7th. 11 - The Haunted Palace (1963)
    October 8th. 12 - Dracula (1931). 13 - Joker (2019)

Really good movie. Beautifully filmed, brilliantly acted. Very dark. I felt like I needed a shower afterward.

I would have liked a little more sign of Joker-specific traits in Arthur, like a mention that he was always good in chemistry in school, something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Day 7: Dracula Untold (2014)
    AKA, Bat Man Begins.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I like that movie a lot. And I also prefer calling it VVitch instead of Witch.

8. ...dang, I saw another movie on Freeform same night I watched Hocus Pocus and Monster House, but I forgot what it was...
    Their website might still have it on the schedule, if not check one of the listings in the opening post, you might recognize the title.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Day 8: Frankenstein (1931)

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member