Page 1 of 67 123451151 ... LastLast

Default Powers Of X #5: For The Children *spoilers*

We begin with Charles in front of a big fish tank talking to someone about powering a new version of Cerebro over whiskey. Big reveal: It’s Forge, not wearing short shorts. Forge is automatically a big data backup expert and could easily get a top job working in enterprise now. He explains that the energy needs would be astronomical, but of course Charles already has a magical invisible Shi’ar Reactor, because aliens.

Text explains how not only are mutant minds copied by Cerebro, but versions from different points in each mutant’s life. So basically like Amazon S3. Apparently it’s not as easy as putting an the wrong mind or version of a mind in the wrong body though, so we’re not just to think that everyone is swanning around in someone’s else’s body. Supposedly, Charles has reverted himself to an earlier back-up twice. How peculiar.

Next up is X^1, where Charles gallantly fails to impress Emma at all by making everyone leave the gallery of the Louvre she is in. We’re obviously still pre-House of X here - it’s another in the sequence of Charles recruiting people to the sex cult idea, and Eric shows up too. Emma reacts in reader’s voice to their insane plan to put millions of mutants on an island again, but is seemingly won over by an off-panel tour of Krakoan botany.

On Krakoa, Emma breaks the dynamic duo’s balls over her involvement. They want her to team up with the assumed dead Sebastian Shaw to run Krakoa’s legal and illegal drug trades. They’re kind of **** at negotiating though so she takes them to the cleaner, demanding a third seat for Hellfire at the krakoan council.

Did I mention the Krakoan Council yet? It’s the government we’ve all been waiting for! Rather than a dictatorship, there will be twelve prominent mutants to make every decision about law and policy on the island, assisted by Krakoa itself and Doug Ramsey as liaison. I predict from this that we’ll definitely see the conclusion of Sabretooth’s arc next week with an example of Krakoan justice.

Next up, we’re in X^1 again, and Xavier is broadcasting a welcome to all the mutants of the world to come to the new country. We see the Acolytes, Omega Gang, Sinister (post-murder of other Sinisters - this is the only time we’ll see him this week, despite the cover), and Gorgon. Hickman love Gorgon. Charles then calls Namor in person, who calls him out on his conviction that mutants are really superior to humans. Namor knows what it means to be truly superior - superior abs, superior pointy ears, superior foot wings...

Finally, we’re back in U Wot M8 land of X^3, where the Phalanx send a weird machine clone out of the Elder, who then eats the real Elder. Nimrod the lesser explains to the librarian that the Phalanx are just a bunch of hungry bois who are going to eat every living thing on the planet to power the ascension. So the human’s minds will be copied, but their bodies annihilated. Er, I think. We also get an info dump about how the Phalanx work for a bunch of super-mind bros who live inside black holes, cos their brains are so big and dense they just collapse space. These Titan consciousnesses are also in touch with each other, because singularities are also wormholes. I wonder where else we’ve seen a black hole in this series.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 09-25-2019 at 06:38 AM.

I was completely wrong on most stuff. lol. But it was a pleasant wrongness. I know believe the rebirths are only able to happen because of ascenscion. If every mutant mind was uploaded that basically made every mutant consciousness eternal. So as long as they can recreate the body, the consciousness already lives as viable as the Phalanx should supersede standard time and space. And we will definitely be seeing Rasputin again.

Hickman really does a perfect Emma.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member

Yes, if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's Hickman's perfect Emma. We are so lucky to get such a great Emma, especially when a concern with Hickman is always his lack of focus on female characters. He just writes better men, but the X-Men don't really do well with that.

Also, I'm trying to figure out the plan here. Is Xavier trying to control the Phalanx?

I'm curious as to what the Krakoa council will be.

Xavier is lucky that Namor is only cheeky with him and that he does not go over for what he did in Invaders.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

The cipher is
    I am not ashamed of what I am
    Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I'm curious as to what the Krakoa council will be.
    I think we know what most of it is.

The only question is who gets the chair. Namor? Moira? The second Hellfire Queen?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    The cipher is
    So what does this mean? To just mutants or to what Xavier is doing? About Apocalypse and Sinister? Everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Yes, if there's one thing we can all agree on, it's Hickman's perfect Emma. We are so lucky to get such a great Emma, especially when a concern with Hickman is always his lack of focus on female characters. He just writes better men, but the X-Men don't really do well with that.

Also, I'm trying to figure out the plan here. Is Xavier trying to control the Phalanx?
    I think he was trying to make the mutant consciousness eternal by uploading it to the Phalanx that would then upload it to it's master. A mutant consciousness can now never truly be destroyed because it's part of a higher intelligence of machines now, so in a way, at least how i read it, he gave the mutant consciousness sentience. Which allowed the new cerebro to be built. It's like we are literally seeing which parts were taken from Moira's past lives to put mutants in the perfect place to always exist. Also if Xavier is able to make the mutants become one, given their consciousness has already ascended, it may be possible for a collective to wrangle control of the higher machine consciousness.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Mighty Member

Man, this issue would be perfect if not for the future stuff. It's been 5 issues and I still can't be bothered to care about Hickman's futures. They're so dreadfully dull and uninteresting.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    So what does this mean? To just mutants or to what Xavier is doing? About Apocalypse and Sinister? Everyone?
    The way I'm interpreting it as is that it refers to mutantkind in general - no longer will anyone be ashamed of being a Mutant.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think he was trying to make the mutant consciousness eternal by uploading it to the Phalanx that would then upload it to it's master. A mutant consciousness can now never truly be destroyed because it's part of a higher intelligence of machines now, so in a way, at least how i read it, he gave the mutant consciousness sentience. Which allowed the new cerebro to be built. It's like we are literally seeing which parts were taken from Moira's past lives to put mutants in the perfect place to always exist. Also if Xavier is able to make the mutants become one, given their consciousness has already ascended, it may be possible for a collective to wrangle control of the higher machine consciousness.
    And yet, is this the right thing to do?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I think what you wrote about black wholes and mutant minds being stored there through space and time is right

Oh you beat me to it xd. I was writing a summary
    Some things that left me particularly interested are

1) Xavier's uploaded a legacy version of himself into his mind twice. Why would he do that?

2) Marauders plot got pretty much confirmed. This Emma is amazing, and she didn't let Erik and Charles have the upper hand in the conversation lol. Plus I like that he acknowledged X-Men Black, Emma's previous roles in mutants nations and her caring for mutant children.

3) The black hole thing is very interesting. The Phoenix got namedropped at the end too! I think the blue guy will try to stop the Phalanx now that he's understood what they will do to Earth. Possibly with the Phoenix or calling Galactus?

Mighty Member

I'm also still really annoyed by Sinister being able to Dolezal himself and folks just being alright with that.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    I think what you wrote about black wholes and mutant minds being stored there through space and time is right
    It would explain the mutant heaven has a revolving door because they referred to the higher robotic consciousness as what humans may call god. Thereby the collective storing through time and space would be like heaven and then they just download to the hardrive (there bodies.)
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    The cipher is

I think we know what most of it is.

The only question is who gets the chair. Namor? Moira? The second Hellfire Queen?
    I don't know, Nightcrawler and Mystique don't seem to make much sense in the council. Although perhaps that is precisely why they are there. Kurt can keep their feet on the ground.

Cyclops as leader of the X-Men and Wolverine and Beast as co-leaders of X-Force I suppose they are ruled out. It is not good to mix political power with military.