Default How do you feel about company crossovers?

So I am reading the current Deathstoke and I was upset to find that that several issues were crossed over with The Teen Titans. I do not read the TT and missed out on a lot of the story. It makes me made when comics do this. Crossing the story over to another book. And if I dont collect the book I miss out. I get they are trying to establish that the heroes are in a shared universe but that is what guess shots are for. I feel company crossovers are just a way to try and get us to by more books. Which of course didnt take me long to figure out because I am mad smart. SO how do you all feel about crossovers?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

If the crossover event hijacks a series that's on my pull list, and requires me to buy other titles that I normally wouldn't in order to get the complete story, then that is a deal killer for me. That's what led me to start dropping Marvel titles a while back. I'm down to one last Marvel book. If they pull some stunt and mess with that title, then I'll most like be done with them altogether.

I like the idea of a shared universe; but it should be a bonus and not a burden. That being said, I enjoy guest appearances by other characters; but I hate having a series interrupted out of left field.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    So I am reading the current Deathstoke and I was upset to find that that several issues were crossed over with The Teen Titans. I do not read the TT and missed out on a lot of the story. It makes me made when comics do this. Crossing the story over to another book. And if I dont collect the book I miss out. I get they are trying to establish that the heroes are in a shared universe but that is what guess shots are for. I feel company crossovers are just a way to try and get us to by more books. Which of course didnt take me long to figure out because I am mad smart. SO how do you all feel about crossovers?
    Publishers are no longer selling single books/titles, they are selling shared universe and lines of books. Books aren't designed to stand on their own, but to be a part of of a larger whole, and as long as that is the product being sold, crossovers and storylines told over multiple titles is going to be the norm not the exception. And comic fans have no one but themselves to blame because these types of multi-title stories have historically sold better, so its a case of fans wallets speaker louder than their verbal complaints to the contrary. Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve, and these types of crossover exist because the buying habits of consumers and retailers have reinforced that they are desired.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Spectacular Member

Me personally, I dont so much mind a crossover if it doesnt interrupt the current storyline in a book. I wont buy the other book unless its a larger event crossover, though, or one with a great stroyline behind it at best. Obviously the main reason is so that they get people to buy a couple more titles here and there, market lower-selling books.
    AT the same time, if we think about these peoples lives as "real life situations", sometimes people can be in the middle of something in their life and have something come through and interrupt that "storyline" too. It happens.
    Also, I can appreciate the shared universes and the job that each editor-in-chief does to make sure that if i am reading Daredevil and Spider-Man, for instance, that the same villain isnt being used in both books without showing some reason for it and keeping with THAT characters overall storyline/life.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I'm seldom affected. I buy what I like regardless of events.

I haven't liked a Marvel event since World War Hulk. And I haven't liked ANY of DC's events, outside of the Geoff Johns Lantern stuff.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Secret Wars 2 starring David Haselhoff errahhhh, The Beyonder, came out when I was 11. Granted some of those tie-ins were at best, tangential. So 1- How long can one claim she or he has read comics and not encountered a crossover, since they've been around since the copper age? Only as a collector did I understand a world without tie-ins. 2- When 3-packs were a thing you would get a book that had that yellow triangle claiming to be part of the larger Secret Wars 2 story and IF you were not hip to this event then, you might go find any parts of the series you could. So for that at least, it was not the most corporate greed thing ever. Even some 30+ years later SW2 is one of the wildest reaches of the concept ever, the worst probably being one or both Civil War's overreaching crossovers. The 616 Marvel annuals were usually always a threat that presented over several books and they were dope for the most part. Still, if you stuck the main 6, 8, 12 ish mini-series, would one even know what they were actually missing?
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Still, if you stuck the main 6, 8, 12 ish mini-series, would one even know what they were actually missing?
    I'm with ya on your thoughts of the copper age cross overs! Rarely was there any important plot point of the event in a solo book. Something may have affected the character in their book, but if it was mentioned in the mini-series there was always the (*in Incredible Hulk #312 - or whatever) at the bottom of the panel for reference. But it wasnt NECESSARY back then to pick up everything. Ahh, the much simpler times. lol

I don't mind mini-events that run through 2 or 3 titles and tell a story relatively quickly and completely, and are handled entirely by the main writers of those titles (meaning characters aren't hijacked into someone who dresses like them but doesn't act like it for the sake of plot).

Major crossovers are always a pain. Minor ones often also have a reason to cross over, in that the characters of one title are a spinoff of another, or they have the same writer overall, or something similar, but not always, of course.
    Dark does not mean deep.

A guest from another comic is fine.

A separate spin-off comic starting two characters who have their own comics is fine.

A big event that causes a new status quo for a while - where other comics reflect that status quo, but still have their own distinct stories is fine.

A big event that hijacks existing comics so they don't make sense - or give you a complete story is bad.

A story that runs through multiple books where you have to buy two or more different titles to get a book is bad.

Unless you're doing something like the triangle era Superman where it's basically a weekly book, you should be able to read one comic and get a complete experience - even if that teases other things you might want to read.