I found this unfair. Steve has been good with many other writers.
I've definitely enjoyed Steve at times. I liked golden age him, and I really like the year one version. I'd like to see more of him (and Etta) done well. I want to see more of them. A consistent supporting cast is good, and they are the best bet for it, even if I'm not especially fond of military!Etta, because I like Etta being further removed from Steve and Diana being the link between the two. And Diana having an outlet to the civilian world as well as military.

I've always found the Greek pantheons use in DC Comics kind of silly and I really dislike the "all pantheons exist!" approach too. The Gods would be far more interesting if they were global, avatars for certain ideas and values, but I would like it more if not every Wonder Woman story had to intimately involve them.
The gods kinda bore me, except in small doses. I don't care about them being global or whatnot. Just keep them in small doses and remember that the in Greek pantheon, gods will be looking after their own interests, choosing their own favorites, etc. Aphrodite should be the one most tied to the Amazons, because of her history in the fandom.