Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Didn't something happen to all sorts of love and empathy, like just recently?

Seriously, it's like you people's dislike of Wilson's run causes you to miss the huge big firework of a plot development two issues ago, and instead causes you to insert your own fears of the coming plot and interpreting that as fact.
    I, for one, dislike Wilsons run because it was a long, slow and boring slog from the very beginning. It featured Diana constantly doubting herself and needing saving by other characters from threats she could have easily handled herself. Throw in the suddenly whiny and needy Steve as a hamfisted means of creating "emotional conflict" and it's just pushing this run further and further into the ground. I don't think it's too out of bounds for others to express dissatisfaction at this latest "plot point", but do go on accusing others of "inserting" their opinions as fact...

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    I, for one, dislike Wilsons run because it was a long, slow and boring slog from the very beginning. It featured Diana constantly doubting herself and needing saving by other characters from threats she could have easily handled herself. Throw in the suddenly whiny and needy Steve as a hamfisted means of creating "emotional conflict" and it's just pushing this run further and further into the ground...
    For all my criticism of the comic in general, I think GWW's run makes a case for establishing a regular 'classic cast', going forward.

Wonder Woman isn't a lone-flying, messianic savior or a brooding dark knight. Wonder Woman shines, when she's interacting with PEOPLE around her, whom she cares about. GWW kept the tone appropriately light. She gave this comic the semblance of a cast. She kept Rucka's beach house and, however briefly, made classic characters, like Etta and Cale, relevant to a new story. Best of all, she launched Diana and her new companions into far-off, madcap adventure in strange, magical places, ..and, while not a game-changing story arc, most of it worked! I can definitely call her run a kanga-leap in the right direction.

I can imagine Etta saying, "Damn y'all. What--I can't get my own magic, Amazon sword, ..after having your backs, all these years? Whazzup' with that?! I been up in this piece, from the beginning! I'm Etta Candy, bidges!"

Still needs a classic cast that we can actually give a damn about.

Anyway...Maggie gets a magic sword AND her own costume, and she's cute. I like Maggie. Don't really care that much about her, but do like her.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-27-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: clarity
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

GWW kept the tone appropriately light, gave this comic the semblance of a cast, kept Rucka's beach house and launched her into a far-off, madcap adventure in strange, magical places, ..and, while not a game-changing story arc, most of it worked!
    I can definitely call her run a kanga-leap in the right direction.
    I disagree. While I love a cast, and like a light tone, I feel like GWW very much reduced the cast Diana already had - Steve and Etta. I get attached to supporting casts, but they're the only WW cast I've been deeply attached to (minor attachment to Nessie and I really like Helena and Cassie, but I prefer Cassie as a spin-off hero and Helena as her supporting cast with Diana and Cassie only occasionally showing up to guest-support in each other's books). I don't like supporting sweeping cast changes, as a general rule, once I've found one I like. Steve and Etta, I like. Aphrodite seemed interesting for the short-term. Atlantiades was primarily of interest to me in the context of the parent-child relationship, and that's gone. Also I do not like the strange magical places. I like more regular world setting.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-27-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Seriously, it's like you people's dislike of Wilson's run causes you to miss the huge big firework of a plot development two issues ago, and instead causes you to insert your own fears of the coming plot and interpreting that as fact.
    I liked the first couple arcs of the run and thought the criticisms were overblown. Still do to a degree, but it's gotten more underwhelming as it goes on. I definitely see where a lot of the complaints are coming from, and knowing how everything pans out, it's gonna be kind of hard to go back and read the first issues.

The overarching ideas of the run are great, but the actual execution for most of them are not. Diana isn't as powerful of a figure, both in terms of personality and (here's the dreaded word) "feats", as she should be in this run. Not compared to the likes of Rucka, Marston, Perez, Jimenez, Simone or even Morrison and Azzarello. She just kind of floats listlessly through the proceedings and lets the supporting cast do a lot of the work. Most of whom are either new characters taking up panel time that could be better spent on others, or just underwhelming takes on old favorites (Steve, Etta and Ferdinand). Wilson got the point that WW is a female driven narrative and writes a good bond between Diana and her mother, but then she has some of the Amazons fall in with Grail for like no reason. I just re-read "Paradise Lost" last night, that's how you do a Amazon vs. Amazon conflict.

It's a run that has ended up as a disappointment, IMO. I will gladly eat a bit of crow for defending it at the beginning*. I kind of just want it to end and have Orlando start ASAP.

*Only a bit. A lot of the freak outs about Diana not flying in the first issue without any evidence to support it were completely dumb.

No, sorry. I championed this run from the very beginning because of GWW's political leanings on her twitter feed and what she was trying to say about war and immigration in her opening two arcs on the title. She got a pass for things most writers wouldn't, like her depictions of Etta as a bureaucratic nag and Steve as a boring schlep. I saw her attempts at superhero action that so many were apparently blind to. I enjoyed the inclusion of the zoo crew, Maggie, Aphrodite, Giganta and initially Atlantiades. But I was sincere when I said if she couldn't stick the landing for the trek to Themyscira all bets were off, and she didn't. It all fell apart at the conclusion despite her bringing in Nubia and Antiope and reuniting Veronica Cale with her daughter. What should have been a glorious battle for the rule of Themyscira was a boring let down in spite of a good artist, so Cary Nord or the inconsistent rotating art team couldn't take the blame for it. Then to add insult to injury although being one of the few open to the destruction of Diana's weapons and gifts, she wrote the battle with Cheetah as a flashback that took all the emotion out of a scene which should of had us on edge our seats. Now whether she's distracted by other work, having a bad year, or as some have suggested she's simply incapable of writing an A-List powerhouse superhero I don't know, but this run has been a disappointment that will be remembered for her disastrous break-up of Diana and Steve in order to push her pet character.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I liked the first couple arcs of the run and thought the criticisms were overblown. Still do to a degree, but it's gotten more underwhelming as it goes on. I definitely see where a lot of the complaints are coming from, and knowing how everything pans out, it's gonna be kind of hard to go back and read the first issues.

The overarching ideas of the run are great, but the actual execution for most of them are not. Diana isn't as powerful of a figure, both in terms of personality and (here's the dreaded word) "feats", as she should be in this run. Not compared to the likes of Rucka, Marston, Perez, Jimenez, Simone or even Morrison and Azzarello. She just kind of floats listlessly through the proceedings and lets the supporting cast do a lot of the work. Most of whom are either new characters taking up panel time that could be better spent on others, or just underwhelming takes on old favorites (Steve, Etta and Ferdinand). Wilson got the point that WW is a female driven narrative and writes a good bond between Diana and her mother, but then she has some of the Amazons fall in with Grail for like no reason. I just re-read "Paradise Lost" last night, that's how you do a Amazon vs. Amazon conflict.

It's a run that has ended up as a disappointment, IMO. I will gladly eat a bit of crow for defending it at the beginning*. I kind of just want it to end and have Orlando start ASAP.

*Only a bit. A lot of the freak outs about Diana not flying in the first issue without any evidence to support it were completely dumb.
    You owe me a Coke for me echoing your last line you wrote while I was writing! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I disagree. While I love a cast, and like a light tone, I feel like GWW very much reduced the cast Diana already had - Steve and Etta. I get attached to supporting casts, but they're the only WW cast I've been deeply attached to (minor attachment to Nessie and I really like Helena and Cassie, but I prefer Cassie as a spin-off hero and Helena as her supporting cast with Diana and Cassie only occasionally showing up to guest-support in each other's books)...
    Well, Steve and Etta are the only cast members we've been allowed to get deeply attached to! [LOL]

Believe me; I feel your pain, over here. I'm feeling it at Starbucks, over a perfect Arnold Palmer, ..but, it's a deep, old, infected cut. I'm really not digging the anti-cast, anti-continuity editorial practices that writers tell us do not permit them to organically grow a classic cast. Not to beat a drum made of dead horses, but, WW #78-9 definitely beg reflection upon that wound.

I also would prefer Cassie and her mom used as recurring characters, like two or three solid appearances, a year. Not talking about cameos, either! I would like to see them, Donna, Mister Genie and some other popular Wonderverse denizens given something small, but, significant to do in stories, about three times, a year.

For me, a so-called regular appears, every or every other issue, and is NOT the lead; Diana doesn't count. Her/his importance to the on-going narrative is such that it goes, without saying. No one is pondering the importance of Alfred, Aunt May or Perry White to their respective comics - at least, not this month. WW fans should be able to depend on their favorite regulars showing up, almost every issue, ..if only to be played off of their leading lady.

If Maggie and Atlantiades are Diana's squad, I'm cool with it. I can grow to love them, ..but, for that love to flow, the Bat-editors actually have to allow them to show up and, even, require it. If fans start posting videos of them burning their WW comics, citing Maggie and Atlantiades as having inspired their arson...bye-bye Mags and Andy! To her credit, GWW has written them, well enough, that I would welcome future writers giving them a chance.

Issues #78-9 make that apparent, as well.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-27-2019 at 04:47 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Well, Steve and Etta are the only cast members we've been allowed to get deeply attached to! [LOL] Believe me; I feel your pain, over here. I'm feeling it at Starbucks, over a perfect Arnold Palmer, ..but, it's a deep, old, infected cut. I'm really not digging the anti-cast, anti-continuity editorial practices that writers tell us do not permit them to organically grow a classic cast. Not to beat a drum made of dead horses, but, WW #78-9 definitely beg reflection upon that wound.

I also would prefer Cassie and her mom used as recurring characters, like two or three solid appearances, a year. Not talking about cameos, either! I would like to see them, Donna, Mister Genie and some other popular Wonderverse denizens given something small, but, significant to do in stories, about three times, a year.
    I disagree, since Rebirth writers have stuck to continuity, which admittedly is a novelty for this book. They've included Etta and Steve with varying degrees of success. They've also brought in fan favorites from the past and used classic rogues, so that isn't the problem. I can't put my finger on exactly what is, but the results have certainly been underwhelming.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    No, sorry. I championed this run from the very beginning because of GWW's political leanings on her twitter feed and what she was trying to say about war and immigration in her opening two arcs on the title. She got a pass for things most writers wouldn't, like her depictions of Etta as a bureaucratic nag and Steve as a boring schlep. I saw her attempts at superhero action that so many were apparently blind to. I enjoyed the inclusion of the zoo crew, Maggie, Aphrodite, Giganta and initially Atlantiades. But I was sincere when I said if she couldn't stick the landing for the trek to Themyscira all bets were off, and she didn't. It all fell apart at the conclusion despite her bringing in Nubia and Antiope and reuniting Veronica Cale with her daughter. What should have been a glorious battle for the rule of Themyscira was a boring let down in spite of a good artist, so Cary Nord or the inconsistent rotating art team couldn't take the blame for it. Then to add insult to injury although being one of the few open to the destruction of Diana's weapons and gifts, she wrote the battle with Cheetah as a flashback that took all the emotion out of a scene which should of had us on edge our seats. Now whether she's distracted by other work, having a bad year, or as some have suggested she's simply incapable of writing an A-List powerhouse superhero I don't know, but this run has been a disappointment that will be remembered for her disastrous break-up of Diana and Steve in order to push her pet character.
    Well said.

Someone said upthread GWW is just not a good writer. I think that might be unfair, but it’s a fact that every writer has hits and misses and this for me is certainly the latter.

Consistently... CONSISTENTLY... she has failed to show Diana as a dynamic, powerful, and inspiring woman. One only has to compare this to the Wonder Woman being written at the same time in JL Dark to see the glaring deficiencies in this runs portrayal of its star title character.

Add to that dome very lacklustre plotting and utterly forgettable action sequences and no matter WHAT the featured reviewers on CBR and comic vine might say... it’s just sub par. Not horribly awful, but just repeatedly disappointing. And at $3.99 on the cover way over priced for what’s inside.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I didn't miss it, but the problem is even before Aphrodite was killed, Steve was whining and moaning about how Diana doesn't pay any attention to him. I do think it's the absence of love that resulted in Steve leaving, but there was lead up to it that lent it credence.

I just want to know why war didn't stop when Ares died.
    Not to mention there are multiple pantheons in the DCU. How would killing one goddess of love destroy love all over the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not to mention there are multiple pantheons in the DCU. How would killing one goddess of love destroy love all over the world?
    I've always found the Greek pantheons use in DC Comics kind of silly and I really dislike the "all pantheons exist!" approach too. The Gods would be far more interesting if they were global, avatars for certain ideas and values, but I would like it more if not every Wonder Woman story had to intimately involve them.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

All-New Member

Bye bye, Steve. You've been boring WW readers, like myself, for seventy five years, even when you were a Nick Fury ripoff, ..and you will not be missed!

Maybe, the next Wonder-beau could be modeled on a young Special Agt. Dale Cooper.

I see Atlantiades, more as an Alfred type. I don't think he'd work, as Diana's BF.
    I think Steve Trevor was a good and fun man, just a bit underwhelming. They've really warped him. Atlantiades is anyway a hermaphrodite, not a man.

Bye bye, Steve. You've been boring WW readers, like myself, for seventy five years, even when you were a Nick Fury ripoff, ..and you will not be missed!

Maybe, the next Wonder-beau could be modeled on a young Special Agt. Dale Cooper.

I see Atlantiades, more as an Alfred type. I don't think he'd work, as Diana's BF.
    I found this unfair. Steve has been good with many other writers. The same can be said with Jason. We have great writers who has done Steve well.

Also Dc can never get love interested right. After Perez dc can’t get love interested right

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I've always found the Greek pantheons use in DC Comics kind of silly and I really dislike the "all pantheons exist!" approach too. The Gods would be far more interesting if they were global, avatars for certain ideas and values, but I would like it more if not every Wonder Woman story had to intimately involve them.
    This is where Wilson’s writing fall apart. If anything this is where Diana would be the one to say that. In order to have the whole gods work is for Diana and the Amazons to be affected. Diana can’t feel love when Aphrodite dead. Maybe Steve should be affected but not the same