Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman 79 SPOILERS

So Willow just killed Steve x Diana in the most unemotional way, lol. That or the artist is incapable of giving a damn and drawing emotion and expressions.

They're on a break? What exactly occurred?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    They're on a break? What exactly occurred?
    There was almost no build up, she just woke up after falling unconscious from her fight with Cheetah and he tells her this has been a long time coming and he leaves her.

Lol, oookay. Don't know at this point whether this should be seen as very temporary or if the plan is to set up for Orlando to explore another relationship later.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Lol, oookay. Don't know at this point whether this should be seen as very temporary or if the plan is to set up for Orlando to explore another relationship later.
    Either it's fixed at the end by Atlantiades or they start a relationship between Atlantiades and Diana. Those are my guesses.

Of course her movie is coming around soon and Steve's in that, so who knows if they'll keep Steve x Diana apart for long. I'd be all over the WonderBat tag from this, but DC already sold Batman over to Catwoman, so there goes any sliver of my WonderBat ship in Rebirth era, lol.

Other than all my complaints and disdain for this run, I'll say that I liked the fight between Cheetah and Diana here. She also lifts Cheetah up by the neck which is always hilarious.

I don't mind Atlantiades, that might be interesting. But damn, writers just don't care about Steve. Normally I would think about movie synchronization, DC loves that, but when it comes to WW who the hell knows, its not like they capitalized on the success of her film at all in the comics last time around. Nothing to make me think they'll pay it anymore mind this time around even if its just as big a hit. So we'll see where that goes.

I'm of opposite mind though on the Batman thing. I'm absolutely ecstatic that he's attached to the hip with Catwoman again not only because I enjoy them, but also because I'd be loathe to see them even remotely attempt to go back to that JLU well.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 09-25-2019 at 02:00 PM. Reason: language, please :)

The ending made me laugh.

Also Veronica, honey, if you put a PHd in a shredder you don't strip a person of that title. That just isn't how things work. You can just get a new PHd printed off. I think this is an example of someone taking the expression 'just a piece of paper' too literally.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 09-25-2019 at 01:59 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I think there are too many assumptions and prejudiced conceptions flying around here.

Overall, I think this was a good issue. Both the art and the story managed to sell a Diana sunk in despair over having lost an integral and important part of herself, and the way the world is succumbing to egotism around her is also told well. The colours feel muted compared to earlier issues, except for some specific things, like the Godkiller sword.

It's also interesting how Wilson portrays a character like Veronica Cale as less affected by the loss of love in the world, and still can motivate people and keep things on the right keel around her. I really like how Wilson uses her character in these last issues.

Diana has two great moments, when she first catches the Godkiller with her bare hands, and later blocks her with her arms (sans bracelets). Sadly, here Wilson's overuse of "nngh" lessens the impact of its use here, where it was really deserved. But Eaton's art also doesn't sell the moment as well as it could.

That also brings me to Eaton's portrayal of Atlantiades, which again portrays them as far too feminine a figure. The overall art situation on the book has been really poor for a long time, and doesn't reflect well on the editors at all.

As for the final plot twist, I don't see it as a way to hitch Diana up with some other love interest. Rather, I expect it to play at least three purposes. The first is to show that the death of Aphrodite impacted all aspects of her life. Second is to heighten the drama of the eventual recovery to some sort of normalcy. But I also believe that Wilson has an interest in further exploring Steve's and Diana's relation, and having a breakup and reconciliation would be an excellent way to do so. (If only King hadn't already muddied that type of plotline with the way Batman and Catwoman has been handled recently, but I digress.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Bye bye, Steve. You've been boring WW readers, like myself, for seventy five years, even when you were a Nick Fury ripoff, ..and you will not be missed!

Maybe, the next Wonder-beau could be modeled on a young Special Agt. Dale Cooper.

I see Atlantiades, more as an Alfred type. I don't think he'd work, as Diana's BF.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-25-2019 at 03:04 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    It's also interesting how Wilson portrays a character like Veronica Cale as less affected by the loss of love in the world, and still can motivate people and keep things on the right keel around her. I really like how Wilson uses her character in these last issues.
    Her entire motivation in the previous run though was about her daughters well being. This feels more like Rucka's original version of the character than the Rebirth version.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Her entire motivation in the previous run though was about her daughters well being. This feels more like Rucka's original version of the character than the Rebirth version.
    Well, that said, Cale was affected when she didn't feel love for her daughter anymore. That was the entire reason that she agreed to help Diana in the first place: she's just grieving the loss of love in her own way.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I haven't kept up too much this arc, but that really did seem weird, have they actually had signs of them being apart of is this something that will likely be fixed by the end of the arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Bye bye, Steve. You've been boring WW readers, like myself, for seventy five years, even when you were a Nick Fury ripoff, ..and you will not be missed!
    George Perez handled Steve Trevor the best. Every other incarnation - with the notable exception of Chris Pine's live action Steve - has been a failure.

I still want Diana with Kal, but whatever. If Steve is Diana's guy now, why did Wilson not bother to write up a proper buildup for Steve's abandonment of Diana? When he says this was months in the making, we did not see that at all in the book. Massive disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I haven't kept up too much this arc, but that really did seem weird, have they actually had signs of them being apart of is this something that will likely be fixed by the end of the arc?
    Steve has been pout-y and needy for many, many issues now. He was upset around the time Atlantiades showed up only and there was one scene where Atlantiades, very meanly, made a Steve illusion who told Diana he wanted to break up. That's all I can think of other than the last issue where he got upset where Diana had to leave the home again.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    George Perez handled Steve Trevor the best. Every other incarnation - with the notable exception of Chris Pine's live action Steve - has been a failure.

I still want Diana with Kal, but whatever. If Steve is Diana's guy now, why did Wilson not bother to write up a proper buildup for Steve's abandonment of Diana? When he says this was months in the making, we did not see that at all in the book. Massive disappointment.
    It's all been very jarring. He's been written to be so clingy and upset that Diana's busy being a hero—you know the person he fell in love with? I could chalk it up to Aphrodite's death doing this to Steve, but it still seems so out of left field. Probably because it's been so weird to see him upset at Diana being Wonder Woman more than Wonder Wife.

I get that the story isn't over, but it seems like Steve should be one of the few people who wouldn't be this affected by the death of love in the world. And if this was going to happen, it should've been built like lightning so it could have crashed onto Diana like thunder.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-25-2019 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Steve has been pout-y and needy for many, many issues now. He was upset around the time Atlantiades showed up only and there was one scene where Atlantiades, very meanly, made a Steve illusion who told Diana he wanted to break up. That's all I can think of other than the last issue where he got upset where Diana had to leave the home again.

It's all been very jarring. He's been written to be so clingy and upset that Diana's busy being a hero—you know the person he fell in love with? I could chalk it up to Aphrodite's death doing this to Steve, but it still seems so out of left field. Probably because it's been so weird to see him upset at Diana being Wonder Woman more than Wonder Wife.

I get that the story isn't over, but it seems like Steve should be one of the few people who wouldn't be this affected by the death of love in the world. And if this was going to happen, it should've been built like lightning so it could have crashed onto Diana like thunder.
    Weird and probably wrong theory, but maybe Atlantiades is, intentionally or accidentally, affecting Steve since they're in love with Diana.