Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

The art is also not doing anything for me. I really wish there was a better artist on the book routinely. I remember when David Marquez left Marvel with Bendis to come to DC. I haven't seen much of his work on DC, it's like I'm blind or DC hasn't put him on anything.

Honest to God, it looks like the only thing he's doing for DC is Batman/Superman which has gorgeous art. Imagine if this man was drawing Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Weird and probably wrong theory, but maybe Atlantiades is, intentionally or accidentally, affecting Steve since they're in love with Diana.
    I'd actually like that theory a lot. Unintended consequences of love. That'd probably lead to Atlantiades fixing the love between Steve and Diana because I honestly don't see Atlantiades stepping over Steve after Aphrodite praised his love for Diana.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Either it's fixed at the end by Atlantiades or they start a relationship between Atlantiades and Diana. Those are my guesses.

Of course her movie is coming around soon and Steve's in that, so who knows if they'll keep Steve x Diana apart for long. I'd be all over the WonderBat tag from this, but DC already sold Batman over to Catwoman, so there goes any sliver of my WonderBat ship in Rebirth era, lol.

Other than all my complaints and disdain for this run, I'll say that I liked the fight between Cheetah and Diana here. She also lifts Cheetah up by the neck which is always hilarious.
    I feel like Atlantiades is there to take Aphrodite's place as the goddess of love.

I was having a really good day until I read this, it was sooooo depressing. Veronica Cale is normally enjoyable but even she failed me this issue. The PhD thing got me too, surly that wasn't the best threat she could make and why was she so overdressed? After the suit, overcoat, platform pumps, cuff links and driving gloves I almost expected her to wear a pith helmet during her urban safari hunt. Where once again conflict was interrupted and Wonder Woman was saved. Even Maggie was annoying and I'm probably the only one who likes her. Why did she have to come all the way from Themyscira to be the Mary Sue voice of reason? Where were Cadmus, Damon and Eirene?

I'm starting to think GWW doesn't know what fans want from a superhero comic. No one wants their hero to be mopey and self pitying one second, then have an epiphany and recognize their full strength and power, only to pass out and awaken all mopey again. Where's the resiliency? If love is lost to Diana too she should have been like "see ya!" when Steve left, not sink into despair. His pitiful departure was a long time coming, almost every time he and Diana had words I thought they were about to break up, so it was no surprise when he finally left but the timing and circumstances felt wrong. Why enumerate all they were to each other without love if it wasn't enough for him to stay and help her?

It was disappointing on multiple levels. If Atlantiades does become Diana's love interest I'll welcome them about as much as Jason, which means not at all.

Cheetah was pretty pathetic in this issue. Getting shot by a normal human and then getting beaten by weakened Diana in one panel? Seriously? At this point I'm just waiting for Batman or Catwoman to pop up and one-punch her for old time's sake.

And lol, Steve. I don't think I ever cared less about a fictional couple.
    Last edited by Psy-lock; 09-25-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I was having a really good day until I read this, it was sooooo depressing. Veronica Cale is normally enjoyable but even she failed me this issue. The PhD thing got me too, surly that wasn't the best threat she could make and why was she so overdressed? After the suit, overcoat, platform pumps, cuff links and driving gloves I almost expected her to wear a pith helmet during her urban safari hunt. Where once again conflict was interrupted and Wonder Woman was saved. Even Maggie was annoying and I'm probably the only one who likes her. Why did she have to come all the way from Themyscira to be the Mary Sue voice of reason? Where were Cadmus, Damon and Eirene?

I'm starting to think GWW doesn't know what fans want from a superhero comic. No one wants their hero to be mopey and self pitying one second, then have an epiphany and recognize their full strength and power, only to pass out and awaken all mopey again. Where's the resiliency? If love is lost to Diana too she should have been like "see ya!" when Steve left, not sink into despair. His pitiful departure was a long time coming, almost every time he and Diana had words I thought they were about to break up, so it was no surprise when he finally left but the timing and circumstances felt wrong. Why enumerate all they were to each other without love if it wasn't enough for him to stay and help her?

It was disappointing on multiple levels. If Atlantiades does become Diana's love interest I'll welcome them about as much as Jason, which means not at all.
    I feel like I can read what GWW wants to do or go for, and it's not at all entirely bad, but the execution—the way the story is structured—is so basic and incomplete that things happen with little to no emotional toll. There's no "Wham" factor to the events that happen or to whatever is happening with Diana because there's little buildup to anything. Big things are happening with little to no build up and that makes it all feel like flat soda.

As for the melodrama, it's been going on for too long. When you rely on it too much it goes from Diana's struggle to Diana in a rut, and that's boring. Peter Parker down on his luck is fun to watch because he doesn't stay down after down after down, and neither should Diana, but she's kinda being written like a loser too often and too much.

Maggie's popping up, out of nowhere, serving a narrative purpose that would plausibly be Ettas - saying what Etta would plausibly say - makes one thing, very clear.

The editorial mandate, as explained by Gail Simone, Brian Azzarello and others, that writers world-build for WW stories, out of whole cloth (new characters, situations, etc) ensures that next to no continuity editing will be required. There's no editorial need to assess Etta's character development, from one story to the next, when assured that an Etta-substitute, installed by New Writer X, will be filling in, with no hostory to keep up with or fit into a fresh story.

Maggie, by editor's intention or happenstance, ensures there'll be no need for editors to check GWWs story for consistency, with Etta's development in the on-going narrative. No opportunity for us to take comfort in how Diana and her companions have grown together...how their relationships have evolved and deepened in meaning, over the course of time - that's a shame.

Diana's beach house , until recently, floating in a nondescript shoreline region of VA, ensures no editor will be required to check New Writer Xs story made no significant changes in an iconic city that new story will have to match or otherwise contend with...no continuity to edit.

Unfortunately, this cheats us fans of something most comic fans enjoy, ..and that is the presence of familiar characters and iconic locations to emtionally invest in ..and look forward to. Substituting Maggie for Etta and substuting Ocean City or Gateway for real-world Washington, DC, an unchanging, inconsequential locale, with no importance to any character, ..ascertains that readers will be deprived of emotional investments in favorite characters and favorite fictional cities. I don't think WW fans have had that, since the 70s...unfortunate.

The editorial obligations for the Batman comics' editors, who also edit WW, must be colossal. If this is the best they can give us, and the familiarity that I mentioned above must be sacrificed, to get WW on the shelves, every month, ..I guess we have to accept that.

However, I think that, if they gave fans a chance to fall more deeply in love with Etta, Ferdinand and Gateway or Ocean City, ..that we would reward their efforts with loyalty, chatting up WW on social media and subsequent bigger sales. WW, being a historically low-performing comic, I'm not sure we'll ever see it get the kind editorial attention that would make all of that possoble.

Hope so. One day. I think we deserve it.

Anyway, WW #79 makes the case for a re-examination of the anti-continuity policy, as imposed on new writers...new stories. We have potentially game-chanhinh things happening to characters, we barely know, ..in a place that they and we, fans, care next to nothing about. #79 could have been so much better.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 09-26-2019 at 01:39 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Maggie's popping up, out of nowhere, serving a narrative purpose that would plausibly be Ettas - saying what Etta would plausibly say - makes one thing, very clear.

The editorial mandate, as explained by Gail Simone, Brian Azzarello and others, that writers world-build for WW stories, out of whole cloth (new characters, situations, etc) ensures that next to no continuity editing will be required. There's no editorial need to assess Etta's character development, from one story to the next, when assured that an Etta-substitute, installed by New Writer X, will be filling in, with no hostory to keep up with or fit into a fresh story. Maggie, by editors intention or happenstance, ensures there'll be no need for editors to check GWWs story for consistency, with Etta's development in the on-going narrative.

Diana's beach house , until recently, floating in a nondescript shoreline region of VA, ensures no editor will be required to check New Writer Xs story made no significant changes in an iconic city that new stoiea will have to match or otherwise contend with...no continuity to edit.

Unfortunately, this cheats us fans of something most comic fans enjoy, ..and that is the presence of familiar characters and iconic locations to emtionally invest in ..and look forward to. Maggie substituting for Etta and the unch
    So they went out of their way to make writters make more characters, just so the editors don't have to actualy do their job, if that's true, it's admirable how lazy they are, unfortunately, it's not the good kind of lazyness that is actualy interesting or good.

In fairness GWW couldn't use Etta because she hasn't even met Atlantiades as far as I can remember. Diana desperately needs her now though in the wake of Steve's exit. The zoo crew would have made more sense giving Atlantiades their pep talk, how they went from being the focus of an issue or two to disappearing entirely is beyond me. We could have used a little levity this month.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This arc had so much potential yet I it seemed to take a huge downward turn this issue. Cheetah was presented as a near incapable idiot even with the Godkiller. Sure, she talked about being in the same strength category as Diana but once the Godkiller sword didn't bring Diana to her knees, Cheetah acted like a cowardly loser. Then there was the out of the blue Steve breaking up with Diana. All i know is if DC keeps them apart only to get Diana involved with Antlandiades or some other new character, I'm going to be quite unhappy.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    This arc had so much potential yet I it seemed to take a huge downward turn this issue. Cheetah was presented as a near incapable idiot even with the Godkiller. Sure, she talked about being in the same strength category as Diana but once the Godkiller sword didn't bring Diana to her knees, Cheetah acted like a cowardly loser. Then there was the out of the blue Steve breaking up with Diana. All i know is if DC keeps them apart only to get Diana involved with Antlandiades or some other new character, I'm going to be quite unhappy.
    What if Wilson has a way of tying up Ares suddenly looking like Steve, Aphrodite's frequent absences and her sanction of Stiana's (just made that up) union into a nice little bow before she leaves the book? That may be giving her too much credit, but it would be great.

Something else that bothered me about this issue was Diana not being an amputee after blocking the God Killer sword. It's killed Ares, Aphrodite, cut Diana more than once and destroyed her bracelets but then suddenly she could resist it bare handed, how?

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Cheetah was pretty pathetic in this issue. Getting shot by a normal human and then getting beaten by weakened Diana in one panel? Seriously?
    Except the only problem with this is that very fact was pointed out by Diana.

Which leads me to believe there could more to this than meets the eye. Cale is in on it somehow? Following up with previous storylines, Cale and Cheetah have a history.

In fairness GWW couldn't use Etta because she hasn't even met Atlantiades as far as I can remember. Diana desperately needs her now though in the wake of Steve's exit. The zoo crew would have made more sense giving Atlantiades their pep talk, how they went from being the focus of an issue or two to disappearing entirely is beyond me. We could have used a little levity this month.
    Again, if she follows up with what Rucka sets up, Ferdinand should show up. He straddles the real world and the mythical, would know who all the players are and clearly has a tight connection with Diana.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

What if Wilson has a way of tying up Ares suddenly looking like Steve, Aphrodite's frequent absences and her sanction of Stiana's (just made that up) union into a nice little bow before she leaves the book? That may be giving her too much credit, but it would be great.

Something else that bothered me about this issue was Diana not being an amputee after blocking the God Killer sword. It's killed Ares, Aphrodite, cut Diana more than once and destroyed her bracelets but then suddenly she could resist it bare handed, how?

Right! If the portrayal of the Godkiller had been consistent with what happened to both Ares and Aphrodite, Diana should be waiting to be resurrected again. The one thing I did like was that it was revealed that Lex was the one who created a way for the Godkiller to be bonded to Cheetah. That, at least, explains why Cheetah needed Lex's help with the sword as experimental, high-grade technology is more up Luthor's alley. Still, Cheetah should have been shown to have found the attain the sword by herself, given her vast knowledge of mythology and archeology.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Maybe because Diana is a demigod the sword doesn't affect her as much as it does full gods?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

From GWW twitter:

"Wondertrev fans who are angry with me today: I feel your pain, and I remind you that nothing in superhero comics ever stays dead, whether it's Wolverine or your favorite OTP. 😂 Never fear."

"I am actually happy never shipped them, so does that mean , so does that mean Atlantiades has chance now with Diana? 😏"

"It's a possibility"

https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/st...90967000313857