Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Harley a psychologist or psychiatrist?

There is quite a difference. The first is a PhD or PsyD. The latter is an MD or medical doctor. I've seen both. IIRC, I once saw her yell at Dr. Fate for not being a real doc when someone was hurt and she took over. A psychologist wouldn't say that.

The answer is - most people, and most comic book writers, don't know the difference anyways. It's one of those easily confused things, and doesn't matter much to the larger continuity. It goes back and forth depending on the whims or little fallacies of any given writer.

I thought she was a psychologist, but I could be wrong.

from what I know one of the most important differences between Psychologist and Psychiatrist is that a psychatrist can precribe drugs, a psychologyst cannot.
    judging by the fact that Harley worked on arkham asylum which maybe would imply the necesity to prescribe drugs for threatment to certain patients maybe she could be a psychatrist

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

There's also the question of therapy. I think it's a bit more common in the States than it is here in South Africa but, traditionally psychologists administer talk therapy, whereas psychiatrists are more there to administer drugs and to specifically tackle the psychological pathologies themselves. I actually assumed she was a psychiatrist.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

She's Dr Quinzel. She's a psychiatrist.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Doctor Harleen Quinzel
    She is a psychiatrist by trade although I doubt anyone who has been writing her really cares whether she has her doctorate or not
    Although that Doctor Fate joke is funny in context

And apparently was a therapist for Jason Todd at some point (mentioned in a little blurb during Red Hood Rebirth).

Well, according to Wikipedia, a Batman Adventures graphic novel has her as an actual MD Psychiatrist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley_Quinn

"The 1994 graphic novel The Batman Adventures: Mad Love recounts the character's origin story. Written and drawn by Dini and Timm, the comic book is told in the style and continuity of Batman: The Animated Series. It describes Dr. Harleen Frances Quinzel, MD as an Arkham Asylum Psychiatrist who falls in love with the Joker and becomes his accomplice and on-again, off-again girlfriend. The story received wide praise[10] and won the Eisner and Harvey Awards for Best Single Issue Comic of the Year.[11] The New Batman Adventures series adapted Mad Love as an episode of the same name in 1999. It was the second "animated style" comic book adapted for the series, with the other being "Holiday Knights"."

A psychiatrist makes more sense to work at Arkham.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Well, according to Wikipedia, a Batman Adventures graphic novel has her as an actual MD Psychiatrist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley_Quinn

"The 1994 graphic novel The Batman Adventures: Mad Love recounts the character's origin story. Written and drawn by Dini and Timm, the comic book is told in the style and continuity of Batman: The Animated Series. It describes Dr. Harleen Frances Quinzel, MD as an Arkham Asylum Psychiatrist who falls in love with the Joker and becomes his accomplice and on-again, off-again girlfriend. The story received wide praise[10] and won the Eisner and Harvey Awards for Best Single Issue Comic of the Year.[11] The New Batman Adventures series adapted Mad Love as an episode of the same name in 1999. It was the second "animated style" comic book adapted for the series, with the other being "Holiday Knights"."
    Since that story is by Harley's creators, we can take that as being the intent.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    And apparently was a therapist for Jason Todd at some point (mentioned in a little blurb during Red Hood Rebirth).
    That has to be when he was really little. They can afford it?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    That has to be when he was really little. They can afford it?
    Maybe it was when he was still Robin? Can we prove Bruce doesn't give the kids the best in medical and mental care outside of just him being him?

From Mad Love and Harleen, I'd say that she studied as a psychologist. In Mad Love she is mentioned as having a degree from the Psychology Department of Gotham State University, and Alfred says she seemed to be headed for a career as a pop psychologist with a line of self-help books. In Harleen, her door plaque says "Dr Quinzoll", unlike the chief psychiatrist "Hugo Strange M.D", so there she is a Doctor of Psychology.

A place like Arkham is likely to have a slew of psychologists, psychiatrists, psychotherapeuts in residence, so I'm not likely to care that much if she is a psychologist or psychiatrist or some other form of mental health professional in any specific backstory. Superhero comics tends to be rather vague in these kinds of matters anyway.
    Last edited by kjn; 09-29-2019 at 03:59 AM. Reason: typo
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

In Harleen, she refers to herself as a psychiatrist.
    DC: Aquaman, Batman, Harley Quinn, Wonder Woman

Marvel: Ms. Marvel, Punisher, Daredevil

Image: Outcast, Bitch Planet, The Autumnlands, Black Magick, The Goddamned

Indies: Black, Insexts, Animosity, Alters, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Red Sonja