Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Harley a psychologist or psychiatrist?

There is quite a difference. The first is a PhD or PsyD. The latter is an MD or medical doctor. I've seen both. IIRC, I once saw her yell at Dr. Fate for not being a real doc when someone was hurt and she took over. A psychologist wouldn't say that.

The answer is - most people, and most comic book writers, don't know the difference anyways. It's one of those easily confused things, and doesn't matter much to the larger continuity. It goes back and forth depending on the whims or little fallacies of any given writer.

Robo Strange

Default This is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    The answer is - most people, and most comic book writers, don't know the difference anyways. It's one of those easily confused things, and doesn't matter much to the larger continuity. It goes back and forth depending on the whims or little fallacies of any given writer.
    This is the answer right here. There is no proof of either, as there is source evidence for both (as seen in this thread).

My head canon is that she's a PhD Doctor rather than MD Doctor. 1) Her age and 2) Her interactions with the Joker.

I thought she was a psychologist, but I could be wrong.

from what I know one of the most important differences between Psychologist and Psychiatrist is that a psychatrist can precribe drugs, a psychologyst cannot.
    judging by the fact that Harley worked on arkham asylum which maybe would imply the necesity to prescribe drugs for threatment to certain patients maybe she could be a psychatrist

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

There's also the question of therapy. I think it's a bit more common in the States than it is here in South Africa but, traditionally psychologists administer talk therapy, whereas psychiatrists are more there to administer drugs and to specifically tackle the psychological pathologies themselves. I actually assumed she was a psychiatrist.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

She's Dr Quinzel. She's a psychiatrist.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Doctor Harleen Quinzel
    She is a psychiatrist by trade although I doubt anyone who has been writing her really cares whether she has her doctorate or not
    Although that Doctor Fate joke is funny in context

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    She's Dr Quinzel. She's a psychiatrist.
    A clinical psychologist has a Ph.D., for instance Bob Newhart's Dr. Bob Hartley (AKA "Drrrr").