Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Let me put it like this: Beta Ray Bill is every bit as powerful as Thor. Imagine if what Thanos did to BRB was done to Thor instead. Indeed, this is exactly what it implies - the next time Thanos meets Thor, this is the kind of humiliating beatdown that Thor will receive. I suppose one could argue that something similar to this happened in the last Avengers vs. Thanos series, but it wasn't as bad as what happened to Bill.

Again, just ridiculous.

Jeez, we aren't just throwing names at each other. There are entire motivations and context clues to look at. This Thanos was angry and hunting down the most mysterious energy source he'd ever seen. Also his chair was broken. In Infinity, Thanos was mildly irked and wanted to show his son how useless the heroes were by beating them slowly.

If we want to compare power levels and other crap, Thanos vaporized an immortal Defenders team, including a Hulk and a Namor, during The Thanos Imperative.

BANNED

While I found the book a bit bizarre and extremely meta, even for Starlin, the more I re-read it and think about it, the more I am impressed as hell with it.

Let's talk meta-message and 4th wall stuff for a moment since it seems to be being ignored in favor of Annihilators fans annoyed by their favorites getting beaten:

- There are two Thanos's and Adam Warlock's in the book. One from Marvel 616, one from an unspecified parallel reality. The book constantly switches back and forth between the two panel to panel and the only way to tell which Thanos is which is when he is with Warlock due to the costumes changing back and forth.

- The timeline is not specified, but it's assumed that it's before Infinity and clearly after Annihilation

- The opening pages and lines from the three entities strike me as Starlin commenting on what decisions have been made with his characters while he was away from Marvel: "My participation in decisions made concerning this matter have been limited.", "Destiny has charted a new course for the heavens, what will be will be"

- The book makes numerous references to Thanos feeling that something he cannot fathom is wrong with him and that he has not been acting himself. "Some of my recent actions I cannot even justify to myself. There's been this strange obsession I have been having about Earth... I sense cosmic forces at play." Addressing Drax: "Have you noticed anything different? As if something were amiss?"

- The Living Tribunal refers to a 'Master' of his who explains nothing and merely tells everyone what to do and they do it, no matter how powerful. Just my opinion, but I think this 'Master' is Starlin or Marvel Editorial, as the writer, who can command even the powerful LT and make him do anything without question.

My take is that Starlin has very cleverly put his toys away (the original Thanos and Warlock) and replaced them with new versions within Marvel 616 while little or nothing else has changed, both of the new versions feeling slightly out of place and changed with strange new motivations and power levels. As this happened before Infinity, it would be a perfect explanation for why Thanos is acting uncharacteristically violent and less contemplative. It also explains why Thanos might say something as uncharacteristic as the 'orgasmic' line, since it could easily have been the other more violent and less thoughtful Thanos.

It also explains the few elements of Aaron's origin that don't fit with Starlin's original back history. While I feel that most of Thanos Rising's plot was very much the same as Starlin's original version of the character backstory, 2 things in particular stood out as changed by Aaron: Death talking to Thanos and Thanos having children. The ending of Infinity Revelation shows that in this new slightly changed universe death has 'always been at my (Thanos's) side' and thus fitting in with that particular change Aaron wrote.
    Last edited by aquitaine; 09-04-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Let me put it like this: Beta Ray Bill is every bit as powerful as Thor. Imagine if what Thanos did to BRB was done to Thor instead. Indeed, this is exactly what it implies - the next time Thanos meets Thor, this is the kind of humiliating beatdown that Thor will receive. I suppose one could argue that something similar to this happened in the last Avengers vs. Thanos series, but it wasn't as bad as what happened to Bill.

Again, just ridiculous.
    Well Thor just got his ass handed to him by Angela last week without even getting a single hit in. At least Thanos beating up Thor is a lot less humiliating.

Quote Originally Posted by aquitaine View Post
    - There are two Thanos's and Adam Warlock's in the book. One from Marvel 616, one from an unspecified parallel reality that is not specified. The book constantly switches back and forth between the two panel to panel and the only way to tell which Thanos is which is when he is with Warlock due to the costumes changing back and forth.

My take is that Starlin has very cleverly put his toys away (the original Thanos and Warlock) and replaced them with new versions within Marvel 616 while little or nothing else has changed, both of the new versions feeling slightly out of place and changed with strange new motivations and power levels. As this happened before Infinity, it would be a perfect explanation for why Thanos is acting uncharacteristically violent and less contemplative. It also explains why Thanos might say something as uncharacteristic as the 'orgasmic' line, since it could easily have been the other more violent and less thoughtful Thanos.
    I didn't quite get that part, since the new Thanos and Warlock do not know each other, should not one of them (Thanos) still be the 616 version? Or maybe some kind of merge happened? Need to re-read the OGN.

- The Living Tribunal refers to a 'Master' of his who explains nothing and merely tells everyone what to do and they do it, no matter how powerful. Just my opinion, but I think this 'Master' is clearly Starlin, as the writer, who can command even the powerful LT and make him do anything without question.
    I took the 'Master' to be the (often nonsensical) whims of Marvel editorial!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by yet another View Post
    I didn't quite get that part, since the new Thanos and Warlock do not know each other, should not one of them (Thanos) still be the 616 version? Or maybe some kind of merge happened? Need to re-read the OGN.
    I thought so at first too, but clearly a change has happened to both of them in various ways. Perhaps the merging of the realities changed the surviving Thanos and Warlock regardless of which versions survived? I'll need to re-read that part as well. Thanos has clearly changed from 616, even if only for the Death relationship changes (perhaps the entity of Death has been changed as well, I didn't consider that until now), whereas Warlock has a new costume and is now retconed to have never changed his outfit, plus he's mysteriously more powerful. So both of them have changed compared to what we're used to from 616, but they clearly state that they aren't from each other's initial realities. This one area is left frustratingly vague.

Certainly could be, but seeing as editorial likely wasn't too involved with telling Starlin what to write here, my money's on it being a reference to Starlin himself. It could also, as you say, be a dig at editorial in general in the tradition of Starlin's classic clowns issue Warlock story.
    Last edited by aquitaine; 08-09-2014 at 04:33 AM.

I'll admit Jim Starlin is one of those classic creators who I've yet to get around to reading more of, and this week's new OGN, Thanos: The Infinity Revelation, has made me regret that. For someone who made his name in the 70s, Starlin's art looks just as good and modern as anything else out there right now. I don't know if this is worth the 20$ price tag, but it was definitely a trippy, satisfying story, and everything you'd expect from one of the legendary creators of the Cosmic Marvel Universe. Then again, 20 bucks is about how much a ticket to the movies costs nowadays, and I felt like I got just as much entertainment value out of The Infinity Revelation as I would have from any movie. The story is right up my alley and is everything the Cosmic Marvel Universe should be. If the Guardians of the Galaxy were more like this, I'd have a lot more LOVED bullets and a lot less HATED ones....

BANNED

Here's my review of Thanos the Infinity Revelation, i spoil the very ending because i don't think anyone will ever care about this comic book. :b

Mah Thanos review.

Rating: 4/10

Marvel’s Original Graphic Novel series 4th installment is a Jim Starlin story dedicated to his most famous & his (presumably) favorite characters Thanos the Mad Titan & Adam Warlock!

Thanos the Infinity Revelation is about Thanos & Adam Warlock having a discussion for 100 pages, steam rolling thru the Annihilators, a group composed of power house characters like Ronan the Accuser, Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill while the protagonist of the story sits comfortably at his throne, are comic fights supposed to be engaging with obstacles or for Starlin to demonstrate that his characters are better than anyone else’s?

If by chance, you are new to Marvel comics and you’re intrigued about this mysterious mad Titan who has had two small appearances in the cinematic universe, Starlin happily spends 6 entire pages giving exposition about Thanos’ entire continuity from all the important events. This comic is riddled with references to other comics, loaded with exposition about characters or what X or Y is to Z or Ö characters/events. It doesn’t show you these things much, but it will tell you everything.

spoilers:
    Starlin happily concludes the story by making his characters, literally become the focal point of the entire Marvel universe.
    end of spoilers I honestly do not doubt anyone at the Marvel office nor will fans (outside of Starlin’s own) ever reference to acknowledge this comic at all.

It’s not new reader friendly, or engaging to older Marvel fans.

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Don't really agree with you at all Scorpio, I like my comics exposition heavy and tied up in continuity and reflection. However I do see why this book seems to splitting opinions.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Don't really agree with you at all Scorpio, I like my comics exposition heavy and tied up in continuity and reflection. However I do see why this book seems to splitting opinions.
    Agreed 100%.

Yes, in the last few pages, Thanos quietly admitted that "less dramatic" changes happened to everyone, including himself.

And I agree, the Master is most likely referring to Marvel editors. I especially like when Eternity and Infinity said there must be some incredible reason for what happened, and Livig Tribunal just says SO YOU WOULD THINK. It's a comment on the comic industry as much as on the comic story itself. Sometimes people just want change for the sake of change, and it's up to the people (main characters, writers) to work so it'll be a good change. People could easily write bad stories until the company goes out of business and the Marvel universe is gone forever. Or we can build of the talent of writers like Starlin and Hickman and make sure that good stories keep being produced.

And in that time between the present and future, we can only hope there was a real purpose for everything happening.

While I found the book a bit bizarre and extremely meta, even for Starlin, the more I re-read it and think about it, the more I am impressed as hell with it.

Let's talk meta-message and 4th wall stuff for a moment since it seems to be being ignored in favor of Annihilators fans annoyed by their favorites getting beaten:

- There are two Thanos's and Adam Warlock's in the book. One from Marvel 616, one from an unspecified parallel reality that is not specified. The book constantly switches back and forth between the two panel to panel and the only way to tell which Thanos is which is when he is with Warlock due to the costumes changing back and forth.

- The timeline is not specified, but it's assumed that it's before Infinity and clearly after Annihilation

- The opening pages and lines from the three entities strike me as Starlin commenting on what decisions have been made with his characters while he was away from Marvel: "My participation in decisions made concerning this matter have been limited.", "Destiny has charted a new course for the heavens, what will be will be"

- The book makes numerous references to Thanos feeling that something he cannot fathom is wrong with him and that he has not been acting himself. "Some of my recent actions I cannot even justify to myself. There's been this strange obsession I have been having about Earth... I sense cosmic forces at play." Addressing Drax: "Have you noticed anything different? As if something were amiss?"

- The Living Tribunal refers to a 'Master' of his who explains nothing and merely tells everyone what to do and they do it, no matter how powerful. Just my opinion, but I think this 'Master' is clearly Starlin, as the writer, who can command even the powerful LT and make him do anything without question.

It also explains the few elements of Aaron's origin that don't fit with Starlin's original back history. While I feel that most of Thanos Rising's plot was very much the same as Starlin's original version of the character backstory, 2 things in particular stood out as changed by Aaron: Death talking to Thanos and Thanos having children. The ending of Infinity Revelation shows that in this new slightly changed universe death has 'always been at my (Thanos's) side' and thus fitting in with that particular change Aaron wrote.
    Oh man, thank you! I did not realize we were crossing universes before Thanos stepped through the portal. It even makes you wonder if the nature of madness is just to see other, equally real universes.

Amazing Member

So what you're telling me is I dodged a bullet when I put this back on the shelf today...I almost bought this, but couldn't justify spending $26 on it. Decided to pick up a Captain America trade instead.

As much as I love Starlins work, its things like this that make Adam Warlock a barley used character. Instead of.making him more.powerful I would rather see him being involved in more stories.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Obvious View Post
    Yes, in the last few pages, Thanos quietly admitted that "less dramatic" changes happened to everyone, including himself.

And I agree, the Master is most likely referring to Marvel editors. I especially like when Eternity and Infinity said there must be some incredible reason for what happened, and Livig Tribunal just says SO YOU WOULD THINK. It's a comment on the comic industry as much as on the comic story itself. Sometimes people just want change for the sake of change, and it's up to the people (main characters, writers) to work so it'll be a good change. People could easily write bad stories until the company goes out of business and the Marvel universe is gone forever. Or we can build of the talent of writers like Starlin and Hickman and make sure that good stories keep being produced.

And in that time between the present and future, we can only hope there was a real purpose for everything happening.
    I've read a lot of solid posts in this thread but something about yours really reached out and grabbed me. (the bolded)

Thank you for posting this.