Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    As much as I love Starlins work, its things like this that make Adam Warlock a barley used character. Instead of.making him more.powerful I would rather see him being involved in more stories.
    Adam Warlock is barely used because there are virtually no other writers (apart from maybe Jonathan Hickman) that would be able to write him in a manner that does justice to what Jim Starlin accomplished with the character back in the 1970's.

I'd much rather Adam remain in limbo than to see him turned into a caricatured character clad in Mass Effect armor as is the case with Brian Bendis's take on Gamora in GOTG.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Adam Warlock is barely used because there are virtually no other writers (apart from maybe Jonathan Hickman) that would be able to write him in a manner that does justice to what Jim Starlin accomplished with the character back in the 1970's.

I'd much rather Adam remain in limbo than to see him turned into a caricatured character clad in Mass Effect armor as is the case with Brian Bendis's take on Gamora in GOTG.
    Hickman? The guy who wrote Thanos himself out of character and ignored most of marvel continuity to tell his new new universe plot?

Im not saying I want him written by Bendis either. But it would be nice if he could be used beyond being paired with Thanos. I really enjoyed his new take during the.DnA era. Truth be told Warlock hasnt been truly great since his amazing 70's run.

BANNED

Hickman? The guy who wrote Thanos himself out of character and ignored most of marvel continuity to tell his new new universe plot?

Im not saying I want him written by Bendis either. But it would be nice if he could be used beyond being paired with Thanos. I really enjoyed his new take during the.DnA era. Truth be told Warlock hasnt been truly great since his amazing 70's run.
    Now that you mention it, Hickman did indeed write Thanos completely OOC.

Adam hasn't been the same since he lost the vampiric soul gem in the 1970's.

I honestly don't think there's a writer currently working in mainstream comics that could bring the level of righteous wierdness that Jim Starlin delivered with those 70's slices of cosmic goodness.

As much as I love Starlins work, its things like this that make Adam Warlock a barley used character. Instead of.making him more.powerful I would rather see him being involved in more stories.
    I don't think they necessarily needed to make him more powerful... but I do think they needed to sort of define what Adams powers actually were. After losing the soul gem (which I hope he gets back at some point when Hickmans done with whatever he's doing with the gems), his powers became sort of vague. I think DnA actually turned him into a real warlock there for a bit.

But do think under Starlin Warlocks essentially evolving into Thanos side kick. It might be good for another writer to try and do something with it if someone can. He's a tough character to use... I almost don't blame a lot of writers for not using him.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I don't think they necessarily needed to make him more powerful... but I do think they needed to sort of define what Adams powers actually were. After losing the soul gem (which I hope he gets back at some point when Hickmans done with whatever he's doing with the gems), his powers became sort of vague. I think DnA actually turned him into a real warlock there for a bit.

But do think under Starlin Warlocks essentially evolving into Thanos side kick. It might be good for another writer to try and do something with it if someone can. He's a tough character to use... I almost don't blame a lot of writers for not using him.
    Which is why I enjoyed the mystic incarnation. He was hatched premature during conquest making him younger and as DnA said hr was akin to merlin to Peter Quills king arthur. It was a shame they wasted little time going the Magus route. I would have loved to see much more of him.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

They need to stop doing the Magus thing with Warlock at all. Magus as a concept only made sense in the context of the two stories that used him well (both of which were done by Starlin): the old Warlock series and "Infinity War."

Beyond that, there's not even a reason for Magus to exist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    I like my comics exposition heavy
    The Marvel OGNs are meant for brand new Marvel fans, giving exposition isn't going to win over new fans. It just tells too much, doesn't show enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    and tied up in continuity and reflection.
    I don't think any of these OGNs so far have been referenced in 616 comics.

BANNED

Now that you mention it, Hickman did indeed write Thanos completely OOC.
    I find it very, VERY likely that the ENTIRE Thanos part of Infinity (actually, the existence of Infinity itself, as opposed to just continuing the two Avengers books) was Marvel editorial meddling to set up Inhuman and get Thanos back in the public eye because of the cinematic universe. The entire Thanos subplot of Infinity felt SO patched in and irrelevant, I just can't imagine Hickman decided on that himself, disrupting the story he'd been telling for a subplot that pushed the Inhumans out of nowhere. It certainly wouldn't be the first time Marvel editorial had severely messed with an ongoing plot to try to wedge in irrelevant events and setups for other books.

Therefore I kinda give Hickman a free pass on this one since it's possible editorial has their fingers into just how Thanos was displayed. They already had the plan for him to kill off his children as evidenced in Aaron's Thanos Rising, it's not a leap to think that Hickman's hands were tied regarding how he portrayed Thanos. Plus, Thanos had (somehow) recently escaped from the Cancerverse where god knows what could have happened to him. It's not unbelievable that he could have gotten more brutish and angry after being resurrected AGAIN and going through living hell as the avatar of death in a universe where death has been defeated by everlasting life. Major traumatic events change people, even Thanos. Look at the change in him between the beginning of Infinity Gauntlet and the final pages of Infinity Gauntlet. There is Starlin-penned precedent set for Thanos's demeanour changing massively after a major event.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    The Marvel OGNs are meant for brand new Marvel fans, giving exposition isn't going to win over new fans. It just tells too much, doesn't show enough.
    There is absolutely no way this OGN is meant for new Marvel fans and I don't know many new comic fans that immediately go and buy a whole oversized hardcover to start themselves off.
    Last edited by aquitaine; 08-10-2014 at 01:55 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
    I'm not so sure the new fans thing was Starlin's objective. Marvel's maybe, but Starlin has always been fond of recaps. Probably a holdover from when he was writing back in the 70s.

That may be why Marvel feels he is a good fit for the OGN imprint.

I do think a story like this could be new reader-friendly. That's just going to depend on the tastes of the reader, though. You have lifelong fans of comics who aren't into Starlin's more dialogue-heavy and museful writing style.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio
    I don't think any of these OGNs so far have been referenced in 616 comics.
    I think legion_quest means that this story heavily references (often obscure) continuity.

Went to a Barnes and Noble so I could read this since I currently cannot afford to buy it. It was good for the most part but I didnt really enjoy the ending. Seeing Thanos with Death was odd. His courting her was always his main focus so to see him obtain it tales away that mad hunger. I also dodnt like hoe Adam Warlock was portrayed. After all this time Starlin still writes him as a semi naiive suicidal loon which worked great in older stories but I feel he should have more growth as a character. Now we have NuAdam, which is a bit irritating to me.

If the story isnt allowed to continue then this will basically be lost in continuity amd never refremced or mentioned. Especially with Thanos' upcoming appearrnces in Hickmans grand plot. Maybe something in the Savage Hulk arc that features Thanos and Annihilus.

As for timeline it seems simple. After Avengers Assemble but before Infinity fot the simple fact that Silver Surfer was still a herald of Galactus whichvat the time of Infinity he was not.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

BANNED

Went to a Barnes and Noble so I could read this since I currently cannot afford to buy it. It was good for the most part but I didnt really enjoy the ending. Seeing Thanos with Death was odd. His courting her was always his main focus so to see him obtain it tales away that mad hunger. I also dodnt like hoe Adam Warlock was portrayed. After all this time Starlin still writes him as a semi naiive suicidal loon which worked great in older stories but I feel he should have more growth as a character. Now we have NuAdam, which is a bit irritating to me.

If the story isnt allowed to continue then this will basically be lost in continuity amd never refremced or mentioned. Especially with Thanos' upcoming appearrnces in Hickmans grand plot. Maybe something in the Savage Hulk arc that features Thanos and Annihilus.

As for timeline it seems simple. After Avengers Assemble but before Infinity fot the simple fact that Silver Surfer was still a herald of Galactus whichvat the time of Infinity he was not.
    I started reading it, but need to go back and read it properly.

Like yourself, I wasn't particularly pleased with Adam's portrayal or characterization but Thanos's dialogue gave me that old familiar thrill that I got when I read the original Warlock books as a child in the 1970's.

You could say that it was near orgasmic.

Quote Originally Posted by TresDias View Post
    They need to stop doing the Magus thing with Warlock at all. Magus as a concept only made sense in the context of the two stories that used him well (both of which were done by Starlin): the old Warlock series and "Infinity War."

Beyond that, there's not even a reason for Magus to exist.
    Yeah I found DnA's usage of Magus kind of underwhelming. Really hecwss just Mar-vells stooge in Thanos Imperative. And the less said about Annihilators the better. Some concepts probably should be left alone unless someone has the right story.

I started reading it, but need to go back and read it properly.

Like yourself, I wasn't particularly pleased with Adam's portrayal or characterization but Thanos's dialogue gave me that old familiar thrill that I got when I read the original Warlock books as a child in the 1970's.

You could say that it was near orgasmic.
    I see Thanos orgasmic memes in our future.

I know what you mean. The classic art style. The multiple use of the word myriad. Characters actually saying phrases like "Over yonder" and "he was a dandy" lol.

Speaking of Adams choice of clothes, I didnt paticularly think NuAdams wardrobe was any better than the other cotumes hes worn.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah I found DnA's usage of Magus kind of underwhelming. Really hecwss just Mar-vells stooge in Thanos Imperative. And the less said about Annihilators the better. Some concepts probably should be left alone unless someone has the right story.
    I disliked Annhilators (except for the Rocket and Groot story). Mostly due to the way Quasar was presented. At least we now know how they broke up ;-)

BANNED

Gotta pick this up!