Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Haquim View Post
    Long answer made (very) short: Thanos written by Starlin is not a villain.
    At the end of Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos was no longer a nihilist villain obsessed with getting mystical macguffins in order to convince Mistress Death to fall in love with him as he learned that he is his own worst enemy and Death will never love him, and he became a reclusive farmer and Explorer who would occasionally help Adam Warlock and other heroes save the universe from a common threat. Thanos got to grow and change under Starlin.

Problem is. Bendis and Hickman regressed Thanos into a thuggish space warlord similar to DC's Mongul, as to synergize with the character's appearance in the MCU. And even before then, Starlin didn't like how Thanos was depicted in the Ka-Zar and Thor comics and he made Infinity Abyss to explain that the Thanos from Ka-Zar and Thor was actually a pair of rogue clones.

The two different paths are so at odds with each other that Starlin's recent stuff has been pushed into alternate realities by editorial.

Thanos is too popular and too important to Marvel to just let Starlin write him when he feels like it. Plus, the redeemed Thanos can't be the Darkseid-style villain Marvel wants the character to be.

But there are also the die hard Starlin fans, who hate seeing Thanos depicted as a brutish villain, so Marvel throws them a bone with the OGNs.

It's kinda like what Renew Your Vows was for the Spiderman fans who hated One More Day or what Fallout New Vegas was for the oldschool Fallout fans who hated Fallout 3, how it is appealing to different groups.

For the record, I don't have much issue with Starlin treating the Avengers like Yamcha since Infinity Gauntlet is NOT an Avengers story.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Which is why I enjoyed the mystic incarnation. He was hatched premature during conquest making him younger and as DnA said hr was akin to merlin to Peter Quills king arthur. It was a shame they wasted little time going the Magus route. I would have loved to see much more of him.
    I liked DnA's take on Adam too as the Gandalf to Peter's Bilbo. Too bad they quickly decided to turn him into Kid Magus, which, as a big DnA fan, i thought was pretty dumb.

I do agree that Adam Warlock is a hard character to write. A comic centered on Adam should be like Jim Starlin's 1970's stories or like a space version of Neil Gaiman's Sandman. Weird and philosophical.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    At the end of Infinity Gauntlet, Thanos was no longer a nihilist villain obsessed with getting mystical macguffins in order to convince Mistress Death to fall in love with him as he learned that he is his own worst enemy and Death will never love him, and he became a reclusive farmer and Explorer who would occasionally help Adam Warlock and other heroes save the universe from a common threat.
    Worshiping Death is not nihilism. Nihilism is the polar opposite of any religious belief, regardless of whether that religion is light or dark.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Worshiping Death is not nihilism. Nihilism is the polar opposite of any religious belief, regardless of whether that religion is light or dark.
    I think you should watch that ''philosophy of Thanos'' video.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Adam Warlock is barely used because there are virtually no other writers (apart from maybe Jonathan Hickman) that would be able to write him in a manner that does justice to what Jim Starlin accomplished with the character back in the seventies
    I think it's because no one at Marvel cares about Warlock outside of Starlin and his niche of fans. The only thing that would convince them at using Warlock more often is appearing in a MCU movie

Though Warlock written by Bendis is a very scary idea given the horrible things he did to Thanos and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Hickman? The guy who wrote Thanos himself out of character and ignored most of marvel continuity to tell his new new universe plot?

Im not saying I want him written by Bendis either. But it would be nice if he could be used beyond being paired with Thanos. I really enjoyed his new take during the.DnA era. Truth be told Warlock hasnt been truly great since his amazing 70's run.
    The bad characterisation of Marvel NOW's Thanos has been adressed by Starlin in Infinity Revelation. The titan himself admitted, that for a while he was not whole and could not even justify his own actions, especially his recent obsession with Earth, but during The Infinity Revelation, with merging two universes, he again became whole again.

6751290-thanos+-+the+infinity+revelation-0431.jpg

6751289-thanos+-+the+infinity+revelation-038.jpg

Later Al Ewing in his Ultimates run implied that the thuggish Marvel NOW Thanos is a separate character from Starlin Thanos.
    Last edited by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree; 01-08-2019 at 01:16 PM.