Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Mutants War Children is a piece of art

I just felt it would be a disservice not to mention this. Claremont was on top form here Bill's art was AMAZING. This was a piece of artwork. The battle between magma and Illayana, Dani as a Valkyrie with Hela in the background. Those in particular were just stunning pages.

Sorry i'm not really the review type i just felt this book had to be mentioned.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Yeah, I thought the story got a touch confusing in the end, but it was absolutely beautiful throughout.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

It felt way shorter than it was, and I was surprised that Claremont was able to produce some genuinely good content this far over his peak.

God, though, I'd kill to see Bill Wicz on art more often.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

It sucked but was just a one issue story. It waaaaass a Pretty good story but tbh the art made it very hard to follow on some parts
    GrindrStone(D)

Fantastic Member

Haven't read it yet, but did flip through to check out the art, and it was freakin' AMAZING! \m/

Only read on digital, can anyone confirm if it's a floppy with ads like a standard issue, or if it's a thicker Trade style presentation?

I loved it. While Claremont's "voice" is a bit dated, the book was a pure time machine of joy for me. The art. Holy cow that art. Makes we wish for a full run. I almost want to buy multiple copies just so I can frame my favorite pages up and still have a copy to read.

Here's a preview in case anyone hasn't seen it:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUL191054

I thought the writing and art was great. I was bumed that it was just this 1 issue and I looked at the other new mutant and x-men titles and they all seemed so sucky by comparison. Why cant we have good things?

**** me, that art is gorgeous. Bill remains absolutely THE New Mutants artist.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Here's a preview in case anyone hasn't seen it:

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/JUL191054

I thought the writing and art was great. I was bumed that it was just this 1 issue and I looked at the other new mutant and x-men titles and they all seemed so sucky by comparison. Why cant we have good things?

Likely because Marvel doesn't want to pay them what they obviously can make doing their own thing. Otherwise we'd see Bill have his own X-Run. He loves the characters enough, that's for sure and was a consultant for the NM movie.

Of course I wouldn't be shocked if part of the problem is that his style is just too "out of line" for a mainstream book. There are absolutely fans of his work that would purchase a run by him no matter if DC/Marvel/Indie... but it might not be as appealing to the casual X-Men reader to see this style.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I was wondering why no one was talking about this comic...which was AWESOME!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

That was a nice story. Nothing exceptionnal, but well done and heartwarming.
    The best part was the art. Sienkiewicz still rules. Almost everything was perfect, althought I was not a fan of the Limbo looking like the mystic plan from Dr Strange's stories.

It was also nice to see Warlock as a character with a personnality and an agenda, instead of just being a desease or a fancy tool for Cypher.

Of course, Phasing Girl had to complain about wearing a New Mutant uniform. She's always too good for them.
    I don't even know why she was there, she was useless to the story.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post

Of course, Phasing Girl had to complain about wearing a New Mutant uniform. She's always too good for them.
    I don't even know why she was there, she was useless to the story.
    Ugh I know right? Like bitch Bye

Did like the very very small spotlight on Karma and Magma
    GrindrStone(D)

The art also reminded me a lot of chris bachelo's art that he did on generation x. Similar panel lay out and character designs. Would love to have him back on an x book with a decent writer too.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

The only reason Kitty was in this book is because Claremont is the biggest Kitty stan ever. Think about it, everything he's written for the X-Books lately have had her in them.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Amazing Member

I'm assuming this takes place towards the end of Claremont's New Mutants run. Dani became a Valkyrie in the 1985 Special Edition. Doug and Warlock first merged psyches in NM Annual #2 and the Impossible Man adventure was Annual #3, which was Claremont's last annual. Everything indicates this is after those.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you. I totally enjoyed this; I was into every page. Felt like classic Claremont and Bill's art was stunning. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that Bill's art can be a bit hard to follow from a storytelling perspective sometimes, but it's otherwise beautiful. I'd love to see Claremont return for one of the ongoings after House of X and Powers of X conclude, but evidently that's not happening.