Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I know fans and critics were very lukewarm about Padme's story arc in episode 2 and eposode 3. why were they not called sexist then? they all hated Natalie portman's dry performance in episode 1, no one called us sexists. Portman in episode 1 kind of reminds me of brie larson's captain marvel performance. It took them 20 years to come up with sexist accusations even though we as a society have gotten more progressive with women. remember the golden age of the 90s with great strong female characters? Buffy Summers, Xena, Dark Angel and Sydney Bristow. Rey just lacks something compared to these females.
    That video you posted was from Nerdrotic who did Dr. Who Series 11 reviews. You know the difference between Nerdrotic Who Series 11 reviews and some others? Many reviewers were unhappy with series 11 but Nerdrotic was one of the few who constantly had to clarify he wasn't sexist and here's the thing if you're not sexist you don't have to say it. It's like someone saying they're not racist then says something racist and that's where the sexist accusations come from their own mouths.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    That video you posted was from Nerdrotic who did Dr. Who Series 11 reviews. You know the difference between Nerdrotic Who Series 11 reviews and some others? Many reviewers were unhappy with series 11 but Nerdrotic was one of the few who constantly had to clarify he wasn't sexist and here's the thing if you're not sexist you don't have to say it. It's like someone saying they're not racist then says something racist and that's where the sexist accusations come from their own mouths.
    Exactly, and when I see people use those videos as support for their own views I tend to think those values are reflected by the poster as well...otherwise why would you relate to that kind of source?

I'm not a fan of most "geek" sights where over 90% of the content is just craping on todays chapters and titles and complaing that there is some kind of "agenda" in them. These 'gate keepers' of what it "should" be do not represent the audience as a whole. I always make the statement that there are more Batman fan that have never picked up a comic than those that have. The idea that we, the ones that have read the expanded universe (legends), the comic books, watched the cartoons and, on and on, are some how the superior fan is laughable. We are a small percentage of the audience of fans, the "not my Star Wars" trope is getting old.

The video form Nerdotic is strange... "Brie Larson gonna be put into Star War!...I really don't think this but saying it anyway because I don't like her" "...Feige means the end to Kennedy... maybe not sure but were screaming for her to get fired (even though she was hand picked by George)"" We don't like Fige cause he is all woke and stuff... but he will most likely made a good 'Disney' Star Wars movie" He was all over the map. It was almost as bad as watching a flat earther video (a guilty pleasure of mine) with so much conspiracy theory with out looking at every thing. I watched a few of his other videos, and from what he says it is time to stop all francizes cause....reasons.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I know fans and critics were very lukewarm about Padme's story arc in episode 2 and eposode 3.
    I can agree with that, although I find that I'm not as bothered about it as some other people are.

why were they not called sexist then? they all hated Natalie portman's dry performance in episode 1, no one called us sexists.
    That has nothing to do with the factual and observable bigotry that the Rey character (and many of the minority actors in these movies) have been subjected to by "fans." I've seen it all. I've been debunking those Mary Sue claims since 2015 (all DOA, if you actually watch the dang movie), been asking why these people were okay with how Luke and Anakin were depicted despite crying foul over Rey doing the same stuff, and seen more then my fair share on online jokers making weird arguments against the character that don't stand up to even a cursory examination of the films and other stuff. Heck, YouTube is stuffed with cesspits of mostly white male fans unspeakably angry that a woman is the lead character in "their" franchise. Speaking of Captain Marvel, Brie Larson has had to endure even worse slandering and lies in these circles. So, yes, sexism is a thing now, irregardless of whether it was in the past.

Portman in episode 1 kind of reminds me of brie larson's captain marvel performance.
    I don't buy it.

It took them 20 years to come up with sexist accusations even though we as a society have gotten more progressive with women.
    I can only speak for myself, but the "Me Too" movement, the subsequent ousting of Harvey Weinstein and others in Hollywood regarding their dark secrets, and certain public figures in the three-ring circus that American politics, and getting better plugged into online fandom has shown me the huge disparity between our perceptions on progress and reality. As the Mad Titan noted, the latter is often disappointing.

remember the golden age of the 90s with great strong female characters? Buffy Summers, Xena, Dark Angel and Sydney Bristow. Rey just lacks something compared to these females.
    Lack of sexualization and male gaze? That's very true. Welcome to the 21st century.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Exactly, and when I see people use those videos as support for their own views I tend to think those values are reflected by the poster as well...otherwise why would you relate to that kind of source?
    its not a matter of source,, its a matter of people thinking what you are thinking too because its a big elephant in the room.

I posted the video to show the Fiege news was meant to be a distraction as we all suspected. I already said this on the first page. the lucas revelation is like the final bomb in disney's lap so what disney is trying to do now is shift focus with he news fiege is making a star wars film and spiderman is back in the MCU. I means its so obvious, disney are very transparent these days in their tactics.

the video itself is called a distraction.

its not a matter of source,, its a matter of people thinking what you are thinking too because its a big elephant in the room.

I posted the video to show the Fiege news was meant to be a distraction as we all suspected. I already said this on the first page. the lucas revelation is like the final bomb in disney's lap so what disney is trying to do now is shift focus with he news fiege is making a star wars film and spiderman is back in the MCU. I means its so obvious, disney are very transparent these days in their tactics.

the video itself is called a distraction.
    Seriously?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I can agree with that, although I find that I'm not as bothered about it as some other people are.

Because Padme's actions really did make no sense.

in episode 2, she quickly marries a clearly unstable person who just told her he slaughtered, women, children, men and an entire village, also it was obvious Anakin was immature and not on her level to be a life partner or husband to her. A Padme/Obi Wan romance would have made more sense.

in episode 3, she is shocked Anakin killed younglins and she dies of a broken heart after given birth. oh and Anakin turned evil, something she was shocked in finding out even if it was clear in episode 2 that Anakin was a Psycho.

That has nothing to do with the factual and observable bigotry that the Rey character (and many of the minority actors in these movies) have been subjected to by "fans." I've seen it all. I've been debunking those Mary Sue claims since 2015 (all DOA, if you actually watch the dang movie), been asking why these people were okay with how Luke and Anakin were depicted despite crying foul over Rey doing the same stuff, and seen more then my fair share on online jokers making weird arguments against the character that don't stand up to even a cursory examination of the films and other stuff. Heck, YouTube is stuffed with cesspits of mostly white male fans unspeakably angry that a woman is the lead character in "their" franchise. Speaking of Captain Marvel, Brie Larson has had to endure even worse slandering and lies in these circles. So, yes, sexism is a thing now, irregardless of whether it was in the past.

the shallow age of social media does not excuse some characters are still just poorly done or some actors are just not performing. what social media does is maximize the problem. Rey is a bland character and a mary sue. Captain Marvel is just bland and boring. I think people would still have this opinions in 2001
    Lack of sexualization and male gaze? That's very true. Welcome to the 21st century.
    Nope.
    Leia was sexualized in return of the jedi with that Jabba the hut bikini but it does not take away the fact she was one of the strongest written characters in fantasy.

Again, Rey is just bland. in fact she is like a poorly written version of Buffy, they both have the chosen one narrative trope but rey has no subtance or any believable back drop for us audience to believe why she is a chosen one. Hm, maybe this is why some fans made a big deal about her parentage.

Rey is also getting sexualized with the Reylo movement.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    You only get get accused of being sexist if you're reasons were sexist.
    Quoted for truth.

If one doesn't say anything sexist then you wont be accused of being sexist.

in episode 2, she quickly marries a clearly unstable person who just told her he slaughtered, women, children, men and an entire village, also it was obvious Anakin was immature and not on her level to be a life partner or husband to her. A Padme/Obi Wan romance would have made more sense.

in episode 3, she is shocked Anakin killed younglins and she dies of a broken heart after given birth. oh and Anakin turned evil, something she was shocked in finding out even if it was clear in episode 2 that Anakin was a Psycho.
    Like I said, I can agree with the critics; it just doesn't hamper my overall enjoyment of those movies.

the shallow age of social media does not excuse some characters are still just poorly done or some actors are just not performing. what social media does is maximize the problem.
    What the what?

Rey is a bland character and a mary sue.
    No, a Mary Sue is an authorial self-insert character. Are you seriously trying to tell me that J. J. Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, and Michael Arndt were inserting themselves into the movie as a nineteen-year-old girl?

Captain Marvel is just bland and boring. I think people would still have this opinions in 2001
    You're going to need to do better then that.

Lawrence Kasdan
    J. J. Abrams
    Michael ArndtNope.
    Leia was sexualized in return of the jedi with that Jabba the hut bikini but it does not take away the fact she was one of the strongest written characters in fantasy.[/quote]

Which has nothing to do with the statement I was

Again, Rey is just bland. in fact she is like a poorly written version of Buffy, they both have the chosen one narrative trope but rey has no subtance or any believable back drop for us audience to believe why she is a chosen one.
    Maybe the fact that she isn't a chosen one has something to do with it?

Hm, maybe this is why some fans made a big deal about her parentage.
    No, that's just the mystery box thing and certain fans not paying attention to TFA.

Which has nothing to do with the source material sexualizing the character or not.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

See GL is not a genius, It was terrible screen writing, terrible direction, to create really bad movies that are beloved by so many only because they have a Star Wars logo on them. Portman is a really good actress as many of her other movies show so the blame for all of these complaints is squarely on George.

the shallow age of social media does not excuse some characters are still just poorly done or some actors are just not performing. what social media does is maximize the problem. Rey is a bland character and a mary sue. Captain Marvel is just bland and boring. I think people would still have this opinions in 2001.
    From my experience the age of social media and youtube kind of drowns out real criticism and the video you post are great examples, "Feige" is a distraction from... Spider man news?.... Kennedy not getting fired?... Brie Larson?.... Disney Starwars making billions of dollars and still having a super large fan base? It's like they fish for reasons to hate cause they want to hate. I don't think Rey is all that bland though I don't agree with all they have done with her but, my niece is going as her for Halloween for the third straight year in a row so who am I not nit pic. Didn't see Captain Marvel as I really had no desire too so I can't comment on that.

Nope.
    Leia was sexualized in return of the jedi with that Jabba the hut bikini but it does not take away the fact she was one of the strongest written characters in fantasy.

Again, Rey is just bland. in fact she is like a poorly written version of Buffy, they both have the chosen one narrative trope but rey has no subtance or any believable back drop for us audience to believe why she is a chosen one. Hm, maybe this is why some fans made a big deal about her parentage.

I think that was his point, about Leia. She became a nerd's wet dream in that metal bikini. I actually got an autograph from Carrie Fisher of her in the "slave Leia" costume and when I got it she laughed and said it was probably her most poplar outfit with the fans. So yea I thing it did have an impact on the way her character was seen.
    I don't see any chosen one trope with Rey, Its more a person that fell into a their role due to a series of events rather than be born to it, more Luke than Anakin. And at first I was not a fan of the "nobody" parentage but now it seems to make for a better story and really glad they didn't make he a Skywalker cause then it really would have been the chosen one trope.

I didn't like the interaction between Kylo and Rey in The Last Jedi. She was kidnaped and tortured by him, she witnessed him kill Han who had been really kind to he and also came to rescue her when she was in danger, He almost killed Finn and tried to kill her. And all of this seemed to have happen what, a little over a week ago or some thing like that. She was able to forgive him and try to save him over a few lines of dialogue? It was strange to me. But I never saw anything "sexualized" between them. Even with the "shirtless" Kylo, Rey was modest in her interaction.

No I didn't like The Last Jedi, but because I didn't like one instalment doesn't mean that I think the whole francize is going down the tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    No, a Mary Sue is an authorial self-insert character. Are you seriously trying to tell me that J. J. Abrams, Lawrence Kasdan, and Michael Arndt were inserting themselves into the movie as a nineteen-year-old girl?
    I don't think that not being an authorial self-insert character is a disqualifier to being a Mary Sue. Not that I think that Rey qualifies as a Mary Sue (just think she is over powered AF with force powers given her knowledge and training) That is really my only complaint about her in general. But looking it up almost all definitions of Mary Sue say that it is "usually" or "may be" based, at least partly, on the author meaning that it is not the only qualifier. I think that Ryan Johnson made her more of a Mary Sue like in his story and not really so much with Abrams and company.