Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    A lot to unpack.

1. With this news Rise of the Skywalker is now officially a lame duck. TLJ soured me, but the actors were good and deserved better.

2. People will say that Disney has lost faith in Kathleen Kennedy, and they are probably right. This is worse than being fired. Being made into a figurehead, the boss in name only.

3. David Benioff and D.B. Weiss still have to make their Star Wars stuff. Feige's movie will get made as well. So who is the odd man out? It's Rian Johnson! Such a bummer because he was totally going to make his trilogy, eventhough Iger never mentions him while discussing Star Wars but mentions everyone else.

4. I guess that vocal minority wasn't such a minority after all? Remember how it was just a few trolls? Then it was Russian bots. Then it was a vocal minority. Now we have arrived at a split fanbase.
    It's not really a split fanbase...it really is a minority and I'll bet you money Rise of Skywalker makes a mint.

Again, I think the sequel trilogy is crap, but the boat loads of money its made says I'm in the minority here and anyone who says other wise is crazy.

Solo also did poorly as well. For an IP as big as SW to bomb so large was a huge blow to the brand. I don't like LJ either, but I think Solo probably had the larger impact. Especially considering they fired the directors who went on to produce a well received spiderman film.

I feel like with all these new SW movies it's really going to come down to the new stories and new characters they create. They can't just keep mining from the OT.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    It's not really a split fanbase...it really is a minority and I'll bet you money Rise of Skywalker makes a mint.
    Oh, it's going to make a ton of cash. I think the issue here is that is not making as much as Disney believes it should be making when you factor in advertising and other products that are linked to it. Obviously Disney has some really high standards.

Again, I think the sequel trilogy is crap, but the boat loads of money its made says I'm in the minority here and anyone who says other wise is crazy.
    Are you really in the minority? Because Disney's recent apology tour and current actions say otherwise. You can make a lot of cash and still need to fix a franchise. Just look at Transformers..
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Solo also did poorly as well. For an IP as big as SW to bomb so large was a huge blow to the brand. I don't like LJ either, but I think Solo probably had the larger impact. Especially considering they fired the directors who went on to produce a well received spiderman film.

I feel like with all these new SW movies it's really going to come down to the new stories and new characters they create. They can't just keep mining from the OT.
    A lot of things had to come together for Solo to bomb as badly as it did. The timing between other highly anticipated films that appealed to the same audience, the complete cluster**** that the production had been, all the negative press and the poor push to counter it, plus the massive cost overruns due to having to reshoot almost the entire film just kept adding up. Remove any 2 of those and I don't think Solo bombs as hard as it did, even if it might still have been a mediocre film in terms of box office.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Lord Feige had come to save Star Wars. Yes!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Oh, it's going to make a ton of cash. I think the issue here is that is not making as much as Disney believes it should be making when you factor in advertising and other products that are linked to it. Obviously Disney has some really high standards.

Are you really in the minority? Because Disney's recent apology tour and current actions say otherwise. You can make a lot of cash and still need to fix a franchise. Just look at Transformers..
    It is a minority opinion that the sequel trilogy is broken, every poll that can't be bum rushed by trolls is positive...and it made a boat load of cash.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

No offense but Lucas lost his mind 20 years ago so I think it's best to ignore him. His sequels would have just been more "metachlorians" BS. And this is coming from someone who wanted to be Luke Skywalker when he was six. That having been said, Feige can't do a worse job than Abrams did. Solo bombed because many fans boycotted it out of retaliation for Last Jedi. I personally loved it. Along with Rogue One. Which is why I think they need to move away from the Skywalker family and move on to something else. Fiege might be able to help them do that. Abrams is overrated in general. He ruined Star Trek as well. Feige's track record speaks for itself. Like someone else on another site said, if I had the kind of success that he had with Marvel, I'd stick out my hand and say "Star Wars please!"
    Assassinate Putin!

Interesting suggesting r.e. Feige's idea on what he'd like to do on Star Wars:

https://www.inverse.com/article/5959...ar-trek-marvel
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Force Awakens was a massive critical and commercial success. Lucas not liking it doesn't supersede the words of critics and fans.

Lucas not liking it kind of does. Also this critics have backtracked especially with Last Jedi. More importantly, it is very suspicious a movie that is that soulless and plays like new hope is a critical and commercial success. just more well done strategy if you ask me.
    Again, one man's words doesn't supersede the feelings of audiences and critics.
    critics have no credibility. if you have time check out Lucas opinions, when he says the movie did nothing new, the story is bland, the characters arefor white slavers. that supersedes any critic that gave the movie a good review because it was fun.

Lucas created the series, I always say, how critics saw all the flaws of the prequels but can't find any in disney star wars is sort of funny if I did not know what was really going on.

Again, Feige's success is unprecedented and he's done it working with some of the best upcoming talent around be it behind or in front of the camera. You and some people might not like it (which is fair) but if the general audience and the critics like it, Marvel/Disney will and should continue to focus on that. Why should Disney/Marvel/Lucasfilm please a few people that literally have no impact on their business when the paying public and the folks that actually give them awards love what they do?
    Again, critics have no credibility. most of them have all been exposed. their reviews on star wars barely makes sense. If critics are so important ,why is star wars in a mess?why were fans able to bring down last jedi, first with the messed up plot of the movie? the abuse of force power , bad main villain, the bad jokes and Luke's poor characterization. Fans saw all of this but critics didn't? Even Mark Hammill knew what was going on

I get why you are making critics such a big deal. its the disney mcu strategy, it just does not work with star wars. with star wars, Unlike MCU, the content of the movie matters for star wars.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-27-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Interesting suggesting r.e. Feige's idea on what he'd like to do on Star Wars:

https://www.inverse.com/article/5959...ar-trek-marvel
    I saw this rumor but this one stays a lie. this is less likely to happen than magneto been black. disney has been trying to turn star wars into marvel for years. Last Jedi was the first example. Solo was the second as the original plan was to make it like GOTG.

To make star trek is to be intellectual and philosophical, to make movies first for grown ups, to put the hard hitting sci fi story first not the visual. to create a more grounded world. if they wanted to make it like trek , let Disney get a trek kind of person like ridley scott or damian chazzelle but they got the MCU guy.

I think they will succeed this time, good for Feige, bad for star wars.

Ultimate Member

Lucas not liking it kind of does. Also this critics have backtracked especially with Last Jedi. More importantly, it is very suspicious a movie that is that soulless and plays like new hope is a critical and commercial success. just more well done strategy if you ask me.
    Again, I don't like the Last Jedi but it has 91% on RT and 85% on Metacritic. It even has 7.1/10 on IMDB which was voted for by fans. The movie is quite clearly loved by most. No one at Lucasfilm or Disney or any studio will give into minority opinions on the internet. That won't make good business sense.

critics have no credibility. if you have time check out Lucas opinions, when he says the movie did nothing new, the story is bland, the characters are are for white slavers. that supersedes any critic that gave the movie a good review because it was fun.Lucas created the series, I always say, how critics saw all the flaws of the prequels but can't find any in disney star wars is sort of funny if I did not know what was really going on.
    To be honest, I understand where Lucas is coming from. He has some crazy ideas but he wanted something completely different from what had been done before and that's something i can appreciate. But his opinion doesn't supersede critics because he's clearly biased simply due to the fact that he was the creator of the series.

Again, critics have no credibility. most of them have all been exposed. their reviews on star wars barely makes sense. If critics are so important why is star wars is a mess? why were fans able to bring down last jedi, first with the messed up plot of the movie? the abuse of force power , bad main villain, the bad jokes and Luke's poor characterization. Fans saw all of this but critics didn't? Even Mark Hammill knew what was going on

I get why you are making critics such a big deal. its the disney mcu strategy, it just does not work with star wars. with star wars, Unlike MCU, the content of the movie matters for star wars.
    Bring down the Last Jedi? Fans and critics gave the movie good reviews and the movie made $1.5 billion. It's one of the biggest movies of all time.
    Because you and i didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't a smash hit. Arguing that Last Jedi didn't do well is like arguing the Earth is flat, it just isn't true.
    Regarding the critics, no one has exposed them because there's no one to expose. We are all critics but some folks are professional critics and lots of these guys are in different locations scattered around the world. Treating critics like it's some monolithic group of people doesn't work at all .And that's the problem with the whole argument against Rottentomatoes, a good chunk of critics on RT are in Europe and other parts of the world (that's why it's important to understand how stuff works before one criticizes it) so they all have different opinions.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-27-2019 at 03:10 AM.

It is a minority opinion that the sequel trilogy is broken, every poll that can't be bum rushed by trolls is positive...and it made a boat load of cash.
    And yet...here we are with Iger admitting that mistakes were made.
    https://observer.com/2019/09/disney-...h-too-quickly/

Feige is being brought in.

Rian Johnson's trilogy (if you still believe it's being made) got pushed back for Benioff and Weiss. Now it's being pushed back even further for Feige. If Feige wants to do more than a one-off even further.

And Galaxy's Edge is as popular as Euro Itchy and Scratchy Land.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QNx8YI9gAHs
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Again, I don't like the Last Jedi but it has 91% on RT and 85% on Metacritic. It even has 7.1/10 on IMDB which was voted for by fans. The movie is quite clearly loved by most. No one at Lucasfilm or Disney or any studio will give into minority opinions on the internet. That won't make good business sense.
    Rotten tomatoes has nothing to do with how good a movie is.

Return of the jedi is a 79% and it is a superior film to any of the disney films. story, villains, characters, CGI, plot , depth even the toy commercial ads like the EWOKs did something unlike the ones from disney star wars.

why dont you talk about the content of the movie, instead of RT. this is what we star wars fans looked at. We did not grow up with the rt culture.
    To be honest, I understand where Lucas is coming from. He has some crazy ideas but he wanted something completely different from what had been done before and that's something i can appreciate. But his opinion doesn't supersede critics because he's clearly biased simply due to the fact that he was the creator of the series.
    After the backlash, a number of critics admitted they were wrong. funny this has happened before with star trek into darkness another JJ Abrams movie.

Bring down the Last Jedi? Fans and critics gave the movie good reviews and the movie made $1.5 billion. It's one of the biggest movies of all time.
    Because you and i didn't like it doesn't mean it wasn't a smash hit. Arguing that Last Jedi didn't do well is like arguing the Earth is flat, it just isn't true.
    Regarding the critics, no one has exposed them because there's no one to expose. We are all critics but some folks are professional critics and lots of these guys are in different locations scattered around the world. Treating critics like it's some monolithic group of people doesn't work at all .And that's the problem with the whole argument against Rottentomatoes, a good chunk of critics on RT are in Europe and other parts of the world (that's why it's important to understand how stuff works before one criticizes it) so they all have different opinions.
    Please how is last jedi actually a great film. rt does not tell us that. this was what I believe they want Feige to correct?Box office numbers mean little. Episode 1 was one of the highest grossing films of all time in 1999, still one of the weakest star wars films.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-27-2019 at 11:28 AM.

It will be interesting to see what Feige will do in the Star Wars Universe. As far as I know he really only worked on super hero movies ( and only Marvel at that). Feige in the Marvel movies seems to have been able to find the right people to helm projects so I'm really eager to see who he announces will be on the project with him.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I still think Fiege is a mistake.Feige has done some space adventures like GOTG and Thor and they are just the opposite of star wars, worse, star trek. Disney is still making the same mistakes by hiring the wrong people to take on star wars.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 09-28-2019 at 08:00 AM.