Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default I hate that rogue can absorb powers from a distance.

"touch" was such an essential aspect of rogues powers. I hate the fact that now her ability to take powers by touch has been transformed into some cheap imitation of hope and mimics power copying.

BANNED

I LOVE it. I like to see characters powers grow into something more and versatile.

I think it's pretty neat she doesn't need to touch you anymore. It gives her options: Touch Absorb or Distance Absorb.

Distant power absorbation was a boring upgrade and not needed. But I still don't like that it was forgotten in Excalibur when MMX was released the same year. It is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Distant power absorbation was a boring upgrade and not needed. But I still don't like that it was forgotten in Excalibur when MMX was released the same year. It is a shame.
    Oh I assumed the reason she didn't use it in Excalibur like that was related to control? At the end of MMX it seemed her "range absorption" was an all or nothing kind of deal and she couldn't necessarily TARGET with it...yet. Maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Touch Absorb or Distance Absorb.
    That's not an evolution or narrative growth though. It's just a convenience, and a deus ex machina trap for sloppy writers.

A GROWTH of Rogue's mutations to temporarily "take" a mutant's powers and mind —would be to temporarily "give" a mutant's powers and mind to another.

It's a terrible upgrade and just runs into the same problems we had in the Gage era where she will absorb multiple powers at once as an instant-win button

I miss Professor Carey

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    A GROWTH of Rogue's mutations to temporarily "take" a mutant's powers and mind —would be to temporarily "give" a mutant's powers and mind to another.
    I always liked that ending from that episode of TAS

Agree 100%.

It's the limit put on her powers that made them so interesting. She could beat almost anyone, BUT she had to get close to them. That makes for interesting fight scenes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Agree 100%.

It's the limit put on her powers that made them so interesting. She could beat almost anyone, BUT she had to get close to them. That makes for interesting fight scenes.
    Considering her Ms.Marvel/Wonder Man powers, that's not particularly difficult to do either.

Agreed, I'm glad it was forgotten since she's already OP with her current powerset and that was overkill and not very entertaining to read in a battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    It's a terrible upgrade and just runs into the same problems we had in the Gage era where she will absorb multiple powers at once as an instant-win button

I miss Professor Carey

Yes Carey's version is my fave. Even though towards the end she got more towards power mimicry via touch, while I liked it better at the beginning when she still weakened the people whose powers she copied/stole portions of.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That's not an evolution or narrative growth though. It's just a convenience, and a deus ex machina trap for sloppy writers.

Mmm I don't agree with you on that.

Her powers are evolving. Growth can also be that she doesn't need to touch you. Using distance to take another mutants power is development.

We've got a bunch of mutants who can Mimic and Synch with other mutants' powers or minds from a distance, and some are quite Hopeful Prodigies at it. The tactile aspect of Rogue's power is unique, and a limitation with or without being uncontrollable. Rogue having a degree of control is a good evolution of her power; her previously tactile power now being yet another distance duplication is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Making the characters more powerful does not make them more interesting and this only leads to an arms race in which it is increasingly difficult to write the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    Mmm I don't agree with you on that.
    Disagreement is fine. We have wildly different tastes.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Making the characters more powerful does not make them more interesting and this only leads to an arms race in which it is increasingly difficult to write the characters.
    Bingo. Outside of Swamp Thing I cant think of a single character in comics history that got more interesting by upping their power level.

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Bingo. Outside of Swamp Thing I cant think of a single character in comics history that got more interesting by upping their power level.
    A challenge!

Jean Grey? Nightwing?