Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did they jump the gun with DC Universe?

I feel like the app is cool on paper and had some cool ideas, and I'm glad they brought back Young Justice. Doom Patrol in particular hit it out of the park on such a level that I've seen some say that it's "too good" for the service. I kinda see what they were saying...

DC Universe by nature is a niche service, in that it only is about superheroes and more specifically DC superheroes. I feel like making these multi-million dollar originals as investments in the service was a bad idea, because the audience would be limited. Even more limited, given that they only made it available in the US. They had plans to expand, but word has been silent a year after it launched, which isn't encouraging. More likely, it was because of HBO Max, the big all-in-one service that all of WarnerMedia, including DC, is a content provider to.

Note that Doom Patrol was only renewed for a second season because of HBO Max. It was such a hit with critics and audiences despite the potential for that audiences being so limited (niche app only available in the US), and the massive potential reach of HBO Max likely made Doom Patrol worth investing in as an original. It'll air simultaneously on both platforms, but it's likely to be marketed on Max first and foremost. As for the others, the general belief (likely the correct one) is that Titans, Young Justice, Swamp Thing, Harley Quinn and Stargirl will all be available for Max on day one. It makes way too much sense to put it there, and they've marketed it as "all of Warner in one place".

I wouldn't be surprised if Swamp Thing actually gets uncancelled to be a Max Original, as that show has serious potential and was wasted by outside factors.

That leads me to my question: Was it a mistake to invest in DC Universe?

At least, the way they did it. Making a comics app and having all the past shows was great. The misfire was having DC Universe Originals, because the audience for it, while respectable, could never support being the only platform for the original shows. Doom Patrol only getting renewed to be a Max Original kind of hammers this home, because I remember the air of uncertanty regarding the renewal. A lot of others have expressed interest in Titans S2 but are holding out because they know it'll all be on HBO Max. The fact that Max looms near makes getting a DCU sub now rather pointless.

They've said that DC Universe will currently remain as is. I think the bolded part is the operative word. I wouldn't be surprised if they're only keeping it up for now for PR reasons, and once they have a sufficient audience for HBO Max, they'll either pull the plug on DC Universe entirely or make it solely a comics service like Marvel Unlimited. Max will likely be huge, possibly even replacing HBO itself (given the price being the same but having everyone), already a premium channel, and will be a worldwide multi-billion dollar effort. It's going to compete directly with Netflix, and it's hard to argue against it being a huge contender. That doesn't leave much room for the much smaller DC Universe.

I'm glad they have it though, because I feel so much better about the odds of shows like Young Justice when I know so many more people will be able to see it. YJ no longer has to focus on trying to sell a streaming service, they can just do their thing and know a lot of people will be able to access and watch it. I plan to get Max, because it looks to be awesome, but I'm wondering if DC Universe was a bad idea. I wonder if DC Universe will be subject to retrospect videos examining what went wrong, and HBO Max will likely be a core point of discussion.

Also, I noticed how after Stargirl was announced at SDCC 2018, they didn't announce another original afterwards. I kinda suspect DC went silent because of Max, and will now be developing shows specifically for Max in mind.

Still, it's sad to see something that is cool get left behind. That's the nature of the best, though. Would you say they jumped the gun?

Discuss.

I would be willing to spend money on DC Universe but, unfortunately, I live in Germany. So they are already limiting their audience and promoting illegal viewing of their exclusive properties. Titans season 1 made it's way to Netflix here, but it is so delayed it is very difficult to avoid spoilers (or be patient). Not to mention, I would be very interested in the comics, as well. However, due to the geographical restrictions a lot of fans' hands are tied. :/

"We have the entirety of the internet as our customers....so lets focus only on the USA"

GENIUS

I signed up for it to watch Titans, Young Justice, and Doom Patrol. It's also nice to see something like SHAZAM! redone in HD, but there's not enough content to keep me paying every month. I binge watch and then done. I don't read the comics online, but I can see where that would be a nice incentive for some. I currently am not subscribed to it, but I believe I will be subscribing to the HBO PLUS (or whatever it's called) that will combine HBO, DC and more into one package.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

What are the numbers for current subscriptions? That's the true test of whether it's viable as a home for original show content or not.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I say they don't jump the gun enough. Subscribing just for DC products when you have Netflix is something only hardcore fans will do. They need to expand internationally so they can get hardcore fans from other countries.

I was gifted the sub to start, and I'm glad I was.
    At the time, DC Universe didn't appeal to me enough to take the step on my own.

The impression I had, that kept me from trying it out was it was for first-run shows that the networks didn't pick up, alongside a random assortment of comics.
    And I was pretty much right.

However, during the first month I had it, Doom Patrol came out and was really good and the random assortment of comics expanded to 'everything that's on Comixology'.
    In this regard, DC Universe beats Marvel Unlimited, because the library of comics matches exactly with Comixology, with the exception of the excluded imprints.
    And the files they use are the same ones given to Comixology, so you're getting quality scans.

As for the question posed, "Did they jump the gun with DC Universe?"...

I posted a similar thought on the DC Universe thread, here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...69#post4351869

And I added some more here: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4405701

Basically, my thoughts boiled down to the service being great for what it is, but it suffers because what it is isn't what it was being initially promoted to be.
    There is an audience out there that would eat DC Universe up. They crave it. But they likely don't know it exists.
    Meanwhile, the audience that DC Universe was courting with loving affection came away underwhelmed because it didn't meet their standards. They don't care for comics. The audience DC Universe was marketing for only wanted tv shows, animation and movies. And they expected it all to be there.
    Especially when someone says 'DC Universe' to the average Joe and all they think of is either the CW Arrowverse or the DCEU. And then they find that none of those are on the service, due to license agreements with HBO and Netflix made before DC Universe was conceived and extending well beyond its life expectancy.

The only thing that can be done to make it stronger would be to let HBO have the shows, too, and turn DC Universe into a comics only service.
    But because it has been mis-marketed toward the wrong audience, it would do better to get a rebranding and fresh coat of paint if it decides to do that.
    Otherwise, the audience that is out there will only grow by word of mouth.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I wouldn't know. I'm English and apparently our money isn't good enough .

That's obviously sarcastic but it is pretty frustrating not to at least have the option. They even stopped posting excerpts of DC Daily on Youtube. That's hardly fair for the rest of the world that can't get access to the service.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post

That's obviously sarcastic but it is pretty frustrating not to at least have the option. They even stopped posting excerpts of DC Daily on Youtube. That's hardly fair for the rest of the world that can't get access to the service.
    At least you can watch pennyworth?

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

They didn't plan it properly and managed it terribly just like everything DC nowadays. They launched it poorly and marketed the shows terribly. Keeping it strictly US was also stupid. WB should just fold the shows into HBO Max and give them a better budget.

Honestly, If HBO was smart they would use WB/Time Warner properties for their streaming. Use DC, Harry Potter, and etc.

Yeah, they should move the shows and movies to HBO Max, and then make DC Universe comics only. It's rights issues on the other stuff that's to blame for it not being available outside America. Marvel Unlimited, being only comics, doesn't have that problem.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post

swanson.jpg

Love Titans, Doom Patrol is the best, even Swamp Thing was great. They need more stuff like this. I'd rather have them just be on Netflix though.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    I'd rather have them just be on Netflix though.
    I think the days of Netflix as a content aggregator are soon coming to an end.

If it was *only* a service for the available comics on there, it would be a bargain at twice the price. If folks are subscribing for the film/TV content they're likely to be disappointed even if Doom Patrol is truly excellent.

...Well, I've personally really enjoyed the service.