Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC vs Marvel

All-New Member

Default DC vs Marvel

As you can all see with my username, I am a Marvel fanatic. I recently read that DC’s Joker is tracking up to 80 million opening weekend and ready to set a new October record 😤

Well as Marvel fan, not liking that so going to try and ensure DC doesn’t set any records. Having said that, I am not going to smear The Joker or leave false reviews etc. I am just going to try and ensure another movie in October beats Joker’s opening weekend🤣

The only projected to earn anything near Joker is Maleficent 2 so I am going to see that one opening weekend and rallying all fellow Marvel fans to do the same. Since Maleficent is produced my Disney who owns Marvel, we will technically be supporting Marvel as well😊

How many of you true Marvel fans willing to do the same? 🤔

FYI - this is just friendly competition between DC & Marvel so please don’t take it too seriously....🤨

BANNED

But it sounds more like insane fantisism. lol

Mighty Member

I wouldn't go to see a Joker movie anymore than I would a Carnage movie. I have little interest in watching psychopaths who enjoy killing and maiming. Not a horror movie fan at all.

All-New Member

Haha true but what can I say, I am MsMarvel��*♀️

All-New Member

I am surprised to see that they changed Joker that much. Especially seeing the world’s problems these days....

Extraordinary Member

I think we should just let what looks to be an amazing movie that won the Golden Lion at Venice set whatever box office records it rightfully deserves to set. But that's just me...

I tend to mostly prefer Marvel especially with the movies, but not like I am hoping for DC to fail. That seems more like tribalism than being a fan to me.

I think Joker looks interesting, I'm curious to see it, personslly

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MsMarvel View Post
    Well as Marvel fan, not liking that so going to try and ensure DC doesn’t set any records. Having said that, I am not going to smear The Joker or leave false reviews etc. I am just going to try and ensure another movie in October beats Joker’s opening weekend
    It's in the interests of Marvel fans that a movie like JOKER 2019 succeed and do very well.

A movie with a villain protagonist succeeding and doing well increases the odds for stuff like say, a Doctor Doom solo movie, Thunderbolts, and so on.

The success of Wonder Woman paved the way for Captain Marvel, and likewise Black Widow.

People who argue like this are totally ignorant of how stuff works. In the 70s, Monte Hellman a director of independent films said and I paraphrase "I didn't like The Graduate but I have to admit that the success of a movie of that kind with that content made it easier to get my stuff made."

That's how it works. Just because you like Marvel over DC doesn't mean that it's in your interest that DC does poorly.

Hollywood is reactionary and if there's any sense that comic book movies are failing they will move on to something else in a heartbeat. It would not be after one movie like Joker were to fail, but even a small trend tends to make Hollywood types nervous.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Hollywood is reactionary and if there's any sense that comic book movies are failing they will move on to something else in a heartbeat. It would not be after one movie like Joker were to fail, but even a small trend tends to make Hollywood types nervous.
    The success of Deadpool, a rated R movie by Fox, tells Hollywood that comics and superheroes sell well period and not just the MCU shared universe and not just Superman and Batman but the genre as a whole. VENOM proves this even more. ITSV likewise. I know people have issues with Venom because it's made by Sony but that movie might make a Doom solo more likely.

If Non-MCU superheroes fail, then people will think that public only wants some superhero stories. And that means the genre lives and dies at MCU, who because they now have monopoly have less incentive to innovate and also aren't attractive to actors who all want superhero stories to score paydirt since it's not possible to earn big making arthouse and auteur movies anymore (Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio are basically the only ones left who still do that).

Basically competition is good. Healthy living thriving competition is better.

Mighty Member

I'm a Marvel fan but, like for Logan or even Deadpool, I hope that Joker, a totally different comic movie, will succeed. competition is always good and it will allow Marvel to challenge themselves and try new thing.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The success of Deadpool, a rated R movie by Fox, tells Hollywood that comics and superheroes sell well period and not just the MCU shared universe and not just Superman and Batman but the genre as a whole. VENOM proves this even more. ITSV likewise. I know people have issues with Venom because it's made by Sony but that movie might make a Doom solo more likely.

If Non-MCU superheroes fail, then people will think that public only wants some superhero stories. And that means the genre lives and dies at MCU, who because they now have monopoly have less incentive to innovate and also aren't attractive to actors who all want superhero stories to score paydirt since it's not possible to earn big making arthouse and auteur movies anymore (Tom Hanks and Leonardo DiCaprio are basically the only ones left who still do that).

Basically competition is good. Healthy living thriving competition is better.
    I'm all for it. I'm saying anyone wishing for DC films to fail just because they're DC is shortsighted. Ultimately Hollywood doesn't give a **** about either, only what makes them money.

Reading the title I thought this was a thread about the dc vs marvel mini series. Lol.

BANNED

Man! What a waste of time and energy.

This kinda reminds me of those 'let's band together and down-rate X game on Steam because this one guy who's a brother of a developer dated a girl that knew a guy that had an opinionated youtube show.'

If you don't want to support something, that's fine.
    If you want to suggest someone try something based on similar themes or concepts, that's fine.
    But trying to rally people to essentially boycott a movie...

I, personally, have no plans to see Joker. It just doesn't appeal to me.
    Movies have come and succeeded or flopped without me ever watching them. That's not changing anytime soon.

And as others have mentioned, Hollywood doesn't care about DC vs Marvel. They care about starpower, genres and trends.
    If a high profile character like Joker was to flop bad, it could mean a hasty end to the MCU or major cutbacks as the studios get cold feet and begin mining other genres to find the next big thing.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.