Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default RUMOR: Young Avengers to Replace Champions

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...ace-champions/

Discuss.

It's bleedingcool so it's likely correct given their track record regarding comicbook announcement rumors but you never know.

I think they've got their wires crossed here. Remember the Incoming teaser, which promised a titanic divide? Seems like the Champions split into two. One side, probably with the core trio, would still be the Champions. But some members (remember, there's 15 of them, not counting the mostly off-panel reinforcement roster) would join a new Young Avengers team.

So I think YA relaunching is true - but not in place of Champions.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

They just put dust on the champions; i’d hate to see her shuffled off to limbo again.

Mighty Member

Aren't most of the Young Avengers adults and all of the Champions not?

No, the Champions are 15-19 and the Young Avengers are 16-20, so they're roughly the same age.

I won't be surprised if Dust ends up back in the X-books. Patriot (Rayshaun Lucas) is definitely in danger since we now know Eli Bradley is usable again. If Zub's bucket list book turns out to be Alpha Flight I think he'll take Snowguard with him. So I wouldn't expect those three to be involved, whether the teams are merging or just being shuffled.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-26-2019 at 01:37 PM.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I'm really hoping this isn't true. I'm hoping both books get relaunched so the members of both teams aren't crammed into a single book and competing for focus with each other.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I think they've got their wires crossed here. Remember the Incoming teaser, which promised a titanic divide? Seems like the Champions split into two. One side, probably with the core trio, would still be the Champions. But some members (remember, there's 15 of them, not counting the mostly off-panel reinforcement roster) would join a new Young Avengers team.

So I think YA relaunching is true - but not in place of Champions.
    +1
    Last edited by W1bowo; 09-26-2019 at 01:40 PM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I could see it working if true. Don't know who I'd throw on the combined team but there's bound to be a combo out there that can sell a book. I suppose we'll have to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Aren't most of the Young Avengers adults and all of the Champions not?
    Not quite, but more or less. Outside of a few outliers the age difference wouldn't be more than High School students, and college students. Things could get weird, but it's not necessarily that odd.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

BANNED

I love The Champions but I see Marvel giving them a bit of a rest.

They tried pretty hard to get the readership to bite but it never quite happened, despite the quality of the runs.

They'll surely try again with them but not immediately. I would think the belief is that, well, maybe if Champions had the Young Avengers name instead it would have sold better. Putting out a new YA book while retiring The Champions for now would be the way to put that to the test. Having them both out at the same time would just bite into each other's sales.

If Young Justice and Teen Titans can co-exist, why can't Champions and Young Avengers? They probably shouldn't launch them simultaneously though, because that would cannibalise sales. Do it six months apart.

Mighty Member

No, the Champions are 15-19 and the Young Avengers are 16-20, so they're roughly the same age.
    Eli the youngest, outside of Cassie, and even he's in college. It's definitely not a clean line between those groups.

Champions staying dead and Young Avengers coming back? Sounds good to me.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

If Young Justice and Teen Titans can co-exist, why can't Champions and Young Avengers? They probably shouldn't launch them simultaneously though. Do it six months apart.
    The Young Avengers, and Champions don't have currently running television series. Those don't often help sales, but they can be helpful insurance to continue printing new issues.

They don't even have nearly as successful publication histories as the Titans or Young Justice either. Could they sustain decent sales simultaneously? Maybe, but there's not a lot backing it up.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    The Young Avengers, and Champions don't have currently running television series. Those don't often help sales, but they can be helpful insurance to continue printing new issues.

They don't even have nearly as successful publication histories as the Titans or Young Justice either. Could they sustain decent sales simultaneously? Maybe, but there's not a lot backing it up.
    On the up side however, Marvel upper brass don't hate them like DC's upper brass clearly hate titans.

Yeah DC's upper brass hates the Titans; they like theTeen Titans just fine so that book has been allowed to run and develop some brand new characters. It doesn't hurt that Young Justice and Teen Titans are telling some pretty different stories.