Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What if DC had Barbara Gordon unmasked as Batgirl in a live TV Way ?

NO takes backs, no magical undo, FULLY UNMASKED for the world to see....What if DC Unmasked Batgirl/Barbara Gordon ?

I say her given her unique status in the Batman family and how she isn’t that CLOSE to the Batman as the Robins are.

Plus Batgirl, the name is a bit complex already given its own history and other girls taking the mantel.

As fans of the Batgirl name: What do you think of this ?

As fans of Barbara Gordon: What do you think of this ?

It'd be similar to Spider-Gwen. Like Babs, her father's with the police. However, Captain Stacy knew Gwen's secret ID before she was outed, whereas Commissioner Gordon doesn't know Babs is Batgirl, does he?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    It'd be similar to Spider-Gwen. Like Babs, her father's with the police. However, Captain Stacy knew Gwen's secret ID before she was outed, whereas Commissioner Gordon doesn't know Babs is Batgirl, does he?
    I think it has been heavily implied that Commissioner Gordon knows both Barbara and Bruce's identities. Though he doesn't say so directly.

If her identity was revealed I think it would have a few big repercussions. Firstly trust between Batman and Commissioner Gordon would probably be 'irrepairably' broken for awhile. Maybe would see police being hostile to Batman for a few arcs.

I think theirs an underestimating of her closeness with Bruce, sure she doesn't view him as a father figure as much as the Robins do but she is still pretty much 'Core Batfamily'. Bruce and others in the Batfamily would probably be very upset for her if she was unwillingly unmasked. If it was through her own choice I Could see Bruce being very angry with her though since it puts her under some pretty severe risk.

I'm guessing Bruce would try and set Barbara up with a new identity or alternatively fake her death. Maybe put her into some sort of protective custody though I doubt she would like that at all.

Inevitably 2 years after the identity reveal she would probably regain her secret identity through a reboot/time shenanigans or magic.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Batman will fake her death, Nightwing will send her to Spyral, they'll equip her with Hypnos mask and/or a new identity, and she'll become Oracle

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    NO takes backs, no magical undo, FULLY UNMASKED for the world to see....What if DC Unmasked Batgirl/Barbara Gordon ?

I say her given her unique status in the Batman family and how she isn’t that CLOSE to the Batman as the Robins are.

Plus Batgirl, the name is a bit complex already given its own history and other girls taking the mantel.

As fans of the Batgirl name: What do you think of this ?

As fans of Barbara Gordon: What do you think of this ?
    so practically what is going on on Curse of the White Knight?

I dont think it would work well with Batgirl on the current continuity, usually this doesnt work well and gets undone later

on the case of Barbara I would probably guess that she would try to work from the shadows which is closer to what Oracle is.

I've actually thought about it a as a plot point for Babs for a while now, given the major repercussions it would have on Jim and the Batfamily and we've never seen a major Bat really outed (they didn't really explore the impact of Dick's outing beyond Spyral).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've actually thought about it a as a plot point for Babs for a while now, given the major repercussions it would have on Jim and the Batfamily and we've never seen a major Bat really outed (they didn't really explore the impact of Dick's outing beyond Spyral).
    Dick's outing really doesnt count as such
    him faking his death was actually more relevant than the public knowing his Id.

The problem with any member of the Batfamily being burned is that its almost unresonable to thing that it doesnt burn all the other members
    on the case of babs I guess you only have to see what is going on White Knight for a few pointers but other than that I dont know what else could happen
    Barb being on the run from both police and villains sounds a little odd

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Dick's outing really doesnt count as such
    him faking his death was actually more relevant than the public knowing his Id.

The problem with any member of the Batfamily being burned is that its almost unresonable to thing that it doesnt burn all the other members
    on the case of babs I guess you only have to see what is going on White Knight for a few pointers but other than that I dont know what else could happen
    Barb being on the run from both police and villains sounds a little odd
    To be honest, Babs getting outed would probably blowback on Jim more then it would Bruce because she's not as publically linked to him like the Robins are.

But yeah, it would be interesting to see how they would explore the fallout since ostensibly vigilante's are illegal in Gotham even when the police work with them. They wouldn't have an excuse not to arrest her if her identity were public.

Spectacular Member

gordon knows who the whole batfamily is, james jr said the gordons knew the truth since always. it was the reason dick had to dress up as batgirl and barbra to be seen in the same place at the same time cause jim was about to go off on brruce for involving his child in his crusade.

Johns went way out of his way to expose Dick's identity to the world as Nightwing on such a grand scale. He had Grid hack every electronic device in the world to show Nightwing being unmasked live, and afterwards for possibly days ran a constant loop of it with additional information on all those devices about Dick's background from his parents being killed in the circus to being taken in by Bruce. Every single person on the planet knew who Nightwing was now. Ultimately this all had zero impact on anyone. Even Luthor figuring out who Batman was from it went nowhere. As Arnoldoaad said Dick faking his death was a much bigger story point going forward, which was something Batman editorial did to use as a band-aid to try and allow every other writer to ignore his ID getting exposed. It still amazes me that such a HUGE incident lead to nothing.

If Barbara got her ID exposed I don't really know the impact it would have. Jim would be impacted a lot and I can see that being the main focus of the story if they tried to actually build a story from it unlike what they did in Dick's case, but Bruce and everyone else would probably not be as effected since she is a bit separated from them. Maybe it wouldn't have that much impact since I feel like most already see Jim working with Batman and it isn't really much to consider that his daughter would be helping him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    If Barbara got her ID exposed I don't really know the impact it would have. Jim would be impacted a lot and I can see that being the main focus of the story if they tried to actually build a story from it unlike what they did in Dick's case, but Bruce and everyone else would probably not be as effected since she is a bit separated from them. Maybe it wouldn't have that much impact since I feel like most already see Jim working with Batman and it isn't really much to consider that his daughter would be helping him too.
    Whether people think it's plausible or not, I think there would still be a lot of blowback from the discovery that the police commissioner's daughter is an illegal vigilante and that he might have known about it.

Like on Arrow where Captain Lance lost his job when he admitted that he knew his daughter was the Black Canary after she died.

Although this does remind me of ASBAR Batgirl where she was this off-the-rails vigilante that got things so out of hand she ended up arrested but we never got to see that impact Jim's career.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Batman will fake her death, Nightwing will send her to Spyral, they'll equip her with Hypnos mask and/or a new identity, and she'll become Oracle
    What if you couldn't even do that ?

I mean this is one public reveal that will leave few ways for Batman to even help her...

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    What if you couldn't even do that ?

I mean this is one public reveal that will leave few ways for Batman to even help her...
    There's always magic. Batman might not be able to help with that, but he knows a few who could.

I really don't know what would come from such a storyline. I like secret identities. But several have operated with known identities with no significant problems. I expect, as others have stated, the biggest blowback would be on Jim. I was also going to say that no one would buy him not knowing the identities of Batman and the others, but I'm not really sure was the current continuity is on how tied Batgirl is (was in the past) to the rest of them in the public eye.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-27-2019 at 12:57 PM.

If most people couldn't even put two and two together about Batman's ID when Dick was outted, I'd have to call some serious bull if Barbara being unmasked puts the rest of the Batfam in any kind of danger. It might hurt their relationship with Jim for a bit (assuming he didn't already know, which I've always REALLY thought he did) but that's about all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    There's always magic. Batman might not be able to help with that, but he knows a few who could.

I really don't know what would come from such a storyline. I like secret identities. But several have operated with known identities with no significant problems. I expect, as others have stated, the biggest blowback would be on Jim. I was also going to say that no one would buy him not knowing the identities of Batman and the others, but I'm not really sure was the current continuity is on how tied Batgirl is (was in the past) to the rest of them in the public eye.
    I'm trying to develop a situation where the USUAL helpers of sorts will not be available to assist this time around. A true no-win scenario...especially given how Babs isn't that close with the Batman family as she is with her own.

Plus given her father's ties to Batman and her own overall history...it would be an interesting dilemma to see in Batman comics and how Batman and Gordon's relationship is strained for a good year or two. Sure you say it comics, but then again ask yourself this: What if it was your kids that did this behind your back and you did, but you looked the other way/didn't know it and how would it affected your life and career going forward especially given how much Leeway Gordon gives the Batman family ?