Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default What were your favorite DC Comics toys you had as a kid

I had the Hall Of Justice playset with most of the 8" action figures - Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Green Arrow, Supergirl, Batgirl, and Shazam. For whatever reason, there was no Flash, Green Lantern, or Hawkman action figures in the 70s.

I had the Batmobile, Bat-cycle, and Bat-copter.

Loved all those toys.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I wanted the Super Powers Superman figure but instead I got a huge 100 page coloring book. It's the first time I ever heard of Earth 2 and Superman's cosmic zoo.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Ooh. Ooh. Ooh. I had the Batman Returns Catwoman. It's a b*tch to stand since her feet are tiny but I like that you can pull her hand back a bit, and it will automatically whip out. It's meant for her whip, but I just use it bare so I can make her scratch Batman face over and over. XD

Another favorite is Batman Forever Two-Face, but only for the coin. I spent more time flipping the coin than playing with the figure.

Boisterously Confused

Honestly, a towel. That's all it took to transform me into Batman.

The Super Powers line of action figures.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Retired

As a kid in 1966 - 1967, I had a Batman walkie talkie (two plastic cell phones connected by a plastic tube), a Batman utility belt, two Batman board games, a Batman mask, two Batman T-shirts (I grew out of the first one), a model of the Batmobile, a plushy Batman doll, a Batman glider (it was like a sling shot with a figure of Batman that you could fire forward so he would fly for a bit before hitting a wall or one of my sisters). There were also the second and third runs of the Topps Batman bubble gum cards, which had parts of a total picture on the back, so you would have to put them together to get the full picture (of Catwoman, Penguin, Joker, Batman, Robin, Batman and Robin, etc). The second series was comic book art based, while the third series was photographs from the show (or actually I think it was mostly from the movie).

This in addition to collecting the Sundays from the newspaper, putting together my scrapbook of all articles on the TV show, my Batman coloring (sic) book--and probably a lot of other memorabilia I've forgotten now. Never did get that Batman costume for my Captain Action doll (damn). Almost all of this stuff is gone. I do have the board for one of the board games, but nothing else that went with it. A lot of this stuff broke or got ripped and my parents threw out the bulk. My mother used one of my Batman T-shirts to clean the floor--a fact that neither of us ever forgot, it was a running joke between us until she died. But, on the other hand, my mother made a Robin costume for my Teddy bear (a bear I had since trailing clouds of glory did I come)--and that costume was a work of art. Of all the toys I had, that Bear Wonder is the one I loved best.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Mego DC action figures and this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I had also the Hall of Justice, the Batmobile and Lex's vehicle.
    One of the best toys I've evr had.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Super Powers Action Figures.

I didn't have them all but I loved the ones I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I had also the Hall of Justice, the Batmobile and Lex's vehicle.
    One of the best toys I've evr had.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Oh, it's got to be the Super Powers range from the 80's. I had loads of those. I still owned Superman up until a few years ago when he got lost in a house move.

This terrific line for it's time really needed at least a 4th wave to fill it out.
    From DC Comics Style Guide 1986//José Luis García-López

Supergirl
    Batgirl
    Canary
    Zatanna
    Hawkwoman
    Mera
    Barda
    Atom (mini)
    Black Lightning
    Katanna
    Titans: Wonder Girl, Raven Starfire, Beastboy (Kid Flash, Speedy, Aqualad)
    Mary Marvel, Cap Jr.
    And to complement HB's Samurai: Apache, Vulcan, Dorado.

And several of the more classic rogues:
    Catwoman
    Sinestro
    Reverse Flash
    Manta
    Cheetah
    More Darkseid minions; (Female Furies?)

Plus it never even began to get into the JSA or Legion...

Last edited by Güicho; 10-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I wanted the Super Powers Superman figure but instead I got a huge 100 page coloring book. It's the first time I ever heard of Earth 2 and Superman's cosmic zoo.
    Earth-Two was featured in a coloring book? Impressive.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I did not own this as a kid, and had no idea it even existed until a few years ago.

A talking viewmaster set that featured The Super Friends. It caught my eye because most of the 70s memorabilia included Wendy and Marvin. This is the only thing I've ever found that included the Wonder Twins.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    .... It caught my eye because most of the 70s memorabilia included Wendy and Marvin. This is the only thing I've ever found that included the Wonder Twins.
    Yeah, even on merchandise branded as Super Friends at the time,, it's still rare to see the Wonder Twins show up, despite their strong presence on the show.
    Even less so the other Hanna Barbera created heroes: Apache, Vulcan, Dorado and Samurai.

Although Samurai did mange to land himself in the Super Powers line of figures. With a civialin identity, name and origin, which also tied him to the Super Powers line of comics.
    Where they also oddly introduced Golden Pharaoh, in lieu of the other HB-Heroes.

However several other Hanna Barbera created heroes including the Wonder Twins, were apparently slated for a potential fourth wave of Super Powers figures.

I won't post their pics, as per request of the site holders, you can see them in the link bellow.
    Among other things- http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...ind/index.html

They had concept art for
    Dorado - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a.../eldorado.html
    Vulcan' - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...nd/vulcan.html
    and
    Wonder Twins: Who apparently might have worked with a "snap-on" transform.
    Zan - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...ind/ppzan.html
    Jayna - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...d/ppjayna.html

I think this is why the later Mattel ( Four Horsemen Studios designed) DC Universe Classics line, was so keen to include (to the dismay of some, delight of others) a wave that finally included all the Hanna Barbera created Heroes, as homage.

As far as I know (Downpour and Shifter not withstanding) the Matell DCU Classics wave (and a con exclusive packaged version) , were the first produced Wonder Twins figures.
    Although they still neglected to produced Rima.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-24-2020 at 05:22 AM.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I had the Hall Of Justice playset with most of the 8" action figures - Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Green Arrow, Supergirl, Batgirl, and Shazam. For whatever reason, there was no Flash, Green Lantern, or Hawkman action figures in the 70s.

Loved all those toys.
    Oh, man. I had these too. Except the Supergirl figure; for some reason, I was never able to find that.

Ah, the memories....

Edit - Jim Kelly's post reminds me that I had a Batman board game, and models f the '60s Batmobile and Green Hornet;s Black Beauty. Thanks, Jim.
    Last edited by Nine Crocodile; 09-26-2019 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post

Loved all those toys.
    I assume you are talking about the Mego figures, vehicles and playset?

Had both Batman and Zorro at some point (did not have the vehicles) or those mad faux accessories.
    lol the outrageous gloves on Batman was the first thing lost.

Had SHAZAM! (yes I called him that)

And from Marvel: Captain America, The Falcon, and a poor Klingon who got a cape and helmet re-purposed as El Condor! (my bizarre invention) so he could hang out with them.

Had a few of the MEGO Pocket Heroes too.

And the Corgi Batmobile with the blade that sprung out the front.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-06-2020 at 04:57 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I had the die cast Batmobile from the TV show.
    It fired toothpicks, had a bit out the front that came out to cut stuff and I FLOGGED that thing.

I recently found it again in a store in prefect condition and they wanted $400.00 for it!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Of course the large Corgi Batmobile with slasher blade and rocket lunchers was the holy grail

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post

And the Corgi Batmobile with the blade that sprung out the front.
    I had the die cast Batmobile from the TV show.
    It fired toothpicks, had a bit out the front that came out to cut stuff and I FLOGGED that thing.

I recently found it again in a store in prefect condition and they wanted $400.00 for it!!
    LOL subbing toothpicks for the lost rockets seems to have been the universally shared go to solution.
    Yes this was the Holy Grail of toys even back then, not surprised they are fetching so much today!

Loved the Corgi vehicles.
    Wish we'd gotten an Arrow-car/Arrow-plane a Canary-cycle, and Batgirl cycle in the line.
    There was also the smaller scale line of Corgi's , but they never lived up to the awesome that was the large slasher blade and rocket lunching "Crime Busters" scale one.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    One word: Batmobiles.
    Any particular ones? Era? Or you saying you had them all!?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-29-2019 at 08:47 AM.