Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Let's see...

The first DC thing I ever owned was a bendy Batman figure (my younger brother Rich had Robin). This would have been around 1967 when I was 2 - I'm not even sure I had seen any DC programs at that time (I started watching Saturday-morning cartoons and TV in general regularly in '68).
    From the Satellite thread - https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post2869589
    Vintage DC Bendy goodness. Don't know if that's all of them?

Some modern versions

DCAU

Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Batman Animated Series

Batman 66 set

Darwyn Cooke style set...
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2020 at 05:54 PM.

Default What were your favorite dc comics toys you had as [an adult]

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    While those ^ off-color and over-done tech. gimmicks didn't work for me at all.
    Almost as outrageous was The completley anachronistic period-themed Batman variations of the Legends Line
    Which somehow made perfect sense and did work for me.

I'll proudly fessup to being a Legends of Batman mark, and getting this one after the fact: they had several wonderfully outrageous themed figures :

Egyptian
    Midievel Knight
    Gladiator
    Pirate
    Samurai
    Viking
    Longbow etc ....

"-battling crime throughout time!-"

And my favorite Dark Rider Batman with whip and sword!
    Batman wants to be Zorro so bad here, it's embarrassing!

Also can't help but think this line (minus Bat-Caveman) influenced Morrison's Batman Lost through time (the Return of Bruce Wayne) story arc, about a decade later.
    Yeah Morrison's whole "Return of Bruce Wayen" arc seems like he wanted to have his Batman play through the Legends of Batman toy line, then found the approximate narrative way to pull it off, and with his own figures too! LOL! That he took it all the way back to Bat--Caveman is just Brilliant!

This came up in the Batman specific toy thread.- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...-Figure-Thread
    Anyone else reminded of the Legends toy line? And pick these up?
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-17-2020 at 07:36 AM.

Question for those who had Captain Actions
    These were a bit before my time, never seen either in hand, and I'm only finding spurious and some conflicting on-line references also there are modern reissues.
    The Captain Action Cave I've seen pics. featured with the !2" figure, yet the Bat Cave I've only seen pics with plastic toy-soldier scale figures.
    My question were these made in the same scale? Cause they do look the same? And by extension was there a Captain Action scaled Batmobile? To go with the larger (if it exists) set?

Also the date?
    I'm surprised to see such a direct reference to what appears to be the 66 TV Batcave reactor, used both in the Captain Action Cave Cave set, and the Bat Cave set.
    Do you remember these being on the market while the show was airing? If so how far into it were they already available?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    . Never did get that Batman costume for my Captain Action doll (damn).
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This should qualify. DC did do a Captain Action comic book. But the Aquaman suit for my Captain Action. [/img]
    Also more an observation, not even sure what it is Dr.Evil's Sanctuary / Captain Action's Secret Cave? (had a handle and plastic base that goes with it too?) https://comicsvalue.s3.amazonaws.com...1522606138.jpg
    I know beside Captain Action later companies like Aurora and Mego licensed both DC and Marvel at the same time, and this was reflected on some display cases, packaging and in their advertisements.
    However is this the first shared-universe product? Meaning the first time these characters crossed-over and appeared together depicted on the actual product?

https://i.imgur.com/xVkZlar.jpg

Last edited by Güicho; 08-24-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Question for those who had Captain Actions
    These were a bit before my time, never seen either in hand, and I'm only finding spurious and some conflicting on-line references also there are modern reissues.
    The Captain Action Cave I've seen pics. featured with the !2" figure, yet the Bat Cave I've only seen pics with plastic toy-soldier scale figures.
    My question were these made in the same scale? Cause they do look the same? And by extension was there a Captain Action scaled Batmobile? To go with the larger (if it exists) set?

Also the date?
    I'm surprised to see such a direct reference to what appears to be the 66 TV Batcave reactor, used both in the Captain Action Cave Cave set, and the Bat Cave set.
    Do you remember these being on the market while the show was airing? If so how far into it were they already available?

Thanks!

Also more an observation, not even sure what it is Dr.Evil's Sanctuary / Captain Action's Secret Cave? (had a handle and plastic base that goes with it too?) https://comicsvalue.s3.amazonaws.com...1522606138.jpg
    I know beside Captain Action later companies like Aurora and Mego licensed both DC and Marvel at the same time, and this was reflected on some display cases, packaging and in their advertisements.
    However is this the first shared-universe product? Meaning the first time these characters crossed-over and appeared together depicted on the actual product?

https://i.imgur.com/xVkZlar.jpg

I never had the playsets growing up so I can't help with that. I don't a batmobile was ever produced. There was a little "comic book" insert that came with the toys in which Cap didn't team up with the different heroes but disguised himself as each of them to thwart an alien invasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    I never had the playsets growing up so I can't help with that.
    Yeah it appears to be somewhat obscure.
    I do wonder if (besides the print ads and packaging promo for the figures) if that play-set is the first licensed "Shared-Universe" product featuring both DC and Marvel characters together on the actual product? As far as I know (besides print comic books) it could be the only time it's happened?

Nice wraparound painted artwork too, wish I could find a better shot of the Batman side.
    Somewhere there is likely a flat piece of the original artwork, featuring the whole scene, I would love to see that.

Tried editing into one.

I also like how on the inside the costumes hang both universes all mixed together.

I don't a batmobile was ever produced.
    Apparently not for that scale, would have been great to see. They seem to have put allot detail into the "Silver Streak" Captain Action's vehicle. I imagine a Batmobile done by them would have been fantastic at that scale.

There was a little "comic book" insert that came with the toys in which Cap didn't team up with the different heroes but disguised himself as each of them to thwart an alien invasion.
    Nice, is this it?
    found a blogger who scanned the whole thing, with clickable large images - https://carlcafarelli.blogspot.com/2...-giveaway.html
    They were not shy about this comic "story" being a shameless advertisement, and manage to give nearly every page a reference to a product LOL!
    I mean I guess there is at least a veiled attempt at a story narrative there:

And there is a page where Superboy throws a frikin lion at fleeing aliens! Which fills me with Joy!

Last edited by Güicho; 09-10-2020 at 06:49 PM.

1966 - 2015
    Anyone's fandom span long enough to have had both of these 12" figures? ..

]
    1966 - IDEAL 12" Captain Action figure 3.99 + Batman outfit $2.79 = $6.78

2015 - Sideshow/Hot Toys 12" Batman Armory with Batman Figure = $384.99
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2020 at 05:43 PM.

On the fence about taking the plunge into the new McFarlane line.
    Here is a descent review, and comparison of the first two.

I didn't realize they were scaled up to 7" from the previous 6" Mattel, and DCU lines.
    It really is (if you care about scale) starting over, as these won't fit in with any of those previous figures.
    On the other hand the focus on multiverse figures, probably meant they were going to be on a different shelf anyway.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I never had any Aurora models featuring DC characters, but I did have the Spidey one.

One finished in the Batman 66 style.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Aurora Hobby Kits of Your Favorite TV shows, indeed!

Wonder Woman made her first appearance after those kits were released-- on an early 70s episode of The Brady Kids. I guess she was in her non-powered phase when all the Filmation shows of the late 60s were produced.

The Octopus battle, struck me as an odd choice for Wonder Woman.
    They could have at least made it a more mythological beast!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-19-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

The only DC toy I can remember having as a kid was this one.

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post

That's great, also this and media (Filmation, Hanna Barbera, Ideal, Mego etc. ) and other merch from the era, really confirms DC was a Quaternity (word? Quartet ...Lol! ) yes Batman & Robin count as one. Point being for decades along with Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman, Aquaman really was part of the main commercial face of DC.

Not sure who or what the villains are in that^ set? For a somewhat JL looking set, I don't recognize any?

Also Wonder Woman battles an octopus again? Was this a thing? Was there some epic story arc with her and an Octopus?

Other sets.
    Introduced purple for Lex!
    Batman not surprisingly had several through the 60s , into the Burton era films, and animated series.

Last edited by Güicho; 09-20-2020 at 11:59 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I wanted the Super Powers Superman figure but instead I got a huge 100 page coloring book. It's the first time I ever heard of Earth 2 and Superman's cosmic zoo.
    Earth-Two was featured in a coloring book? Impressive.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

I did not own this as a kid, and had no idea it even existed until a few years ago.

A talking viewmaster set that featured The Super Friends. It caught my eye because most of the 70s memorabilia included Wendy and Marvin. This is the only thing I've ever found that included the Wonder Twins.

.... It caught my eye because most of the 70s memorabilia included Wendy and Marvin. This is the only thing I've ever found that included the Wonder Twins.
    Yeah, even on merchandise branded as Super Friends at the time,, it's still rare to see the Wonder Twins show up, despite their strong presence on the show.
    Even less so the other Hanna Barbera created heroes: Apache, Vulcan, Dorado and Samurai.

Although Samurai did mange to land himself in the Super Powers line of figures. With a civialin identity, name and origin, which also tied him to the Super Powers line of comics.
    Where they also oddly introduced Golden Pharaoh, in lieu of the other HB-Heroes.

However several other Hanna Barbera created heroes including the Wonder Twins, were apparently slated for a potential fourth wave of Super Powers figures.

I won't post their pics, as per request of the site holders, you can see them in the link bellow.
    Among other things- http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...ind/index.html

They had concept art for
    Dorado - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a.../eldorado.html
    Vulcan' - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...nd/vulcan.html
    and
    Wonder Twins: Who apparently might have worked with a "snap-on" transform.
    Zan - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...ind/ppzan.html
    Jayna - http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/a...d/ppjayna.html

I think this is why the later Mattel ( Four Horsemen Studios designed) DC Universe Classics line, was so keen to include (to the dismay of some, delight of others) a wave that finally included all the Hanna Barbera created Heroes, as homage.

As far as I know (Downpour and Shifter not withstanding) the Matell DCU Classics wave (and a con exclusive packaged version) , were the first produced Wonder Twins figures.
    Although they still neglected to produced Rima.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-24-2020 at 05:22 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I had that as well. I loved Colorforms.