Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Mego Batman, Robin, Joker, Penguin, Batcave, Batmobile, Batcylce.

Sadly, I forgot to rescue these from my old home before it was demolished. Thought they have been moved to storage -- but

Astonishing Member

Aurora Hobby Kits of Your Favorite TV shows, indeed!

Wonder Woman made her first appearance after those kits were released-- on an early 70s episode of The Brady Kids. I guess she was in her non-powered phase when all the Filmation shows of the late 60s were produced.

Retired

Not a toy, but another thing that was available during the height of Batmania was Batman candy cigarettes. I have a banana allergy and most candy cigarettes had a chemcial banana flavour so I didn't bother with them. I think Popeye cigarettes were the worst. The Batman cigarettes had that smooth, mild flavour that nine out of ten doctors recommend. Crazy that kids were encouraged to get a jump on a life long smoking hang-up. Maybe the disgusting flavour of these is why I never picked up the habit.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not a toy, but another thing that was available during the height of Batmania was Batman candy cigarettes. I have a banana allergy and most candy cigarettes had a chemcial banana flavour so I didn't bother with them. I think Popeye cigarettes were the worst. The Batman cigarettes had that smooth, mild flavour that nine out of ten doctors recommend. Crazy that kids were encouraged to get a jump on a life long smoking hang-up. Maybe the disgusting flavour of these is why I never picked up the habit.
    It's funny, but while I loved candy cigarettes as a kid, they never made me want to smoke the real ones. Maybe it was all those times my mother smoked in the car when I was a wee one (she kicked the habit exactly 45 years ago and still sounds like she did when she was in her twenties), but just thinking about them still gives me a headache.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    ... IDEALS DC Girl themed line that ran concurrent to Captain Action.

]http://i.imgur.com/7fTeotE.jpg
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post2869513

I mentioned Captain Action before and I guess you could consider that a DC toy as DC published a comic book about him (but after I had got the doll). I am bitter that the only costume that I got for him at the time was the Phantom (not Batman or Superman);
    Of the choices Phantom looks pretty great, although I see the appeal of the DC specif ones, these all came with lots of accessories too.

,,, I could press plasticine into that mask and get a nice three-dimensional copy of the face. Then I could use that to create other characters. That made for hours of fun. It was always the other uses I could find for toys that gave me the most enjoyment, rather the manufacturer's intended purpose.
    So pretty much you created the first ever Clayface figure.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    This should qualify. DC did do a Captain Action comic book. But the Aquaman suit for my Captain Action. (not my actual toy)

IDEAL Captain Action line looked great. Never had any, or ever saw most of them were gone by the time I was around, I love all the accessories those came with (both Superman and Supergirl came with Krypto? Where is the cat?).
    Surprised and happy to see all the Mego call backs in the thread, but yeah even more rare is IDEAL's Captain Action generation. Glad to see there is at least some of you around.

FYI CaptCleghorn your Image didn't open for me. (EDIT: Does now!)
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-06-2020 at 05:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I had the Hall Of Justice playset with most of the 8" action figures - Superman, Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Robin, Green Arrow, Supergirl, Batgirl, and Shazam. For whatever reason, there was no Flash, Green Lantern, or Hawkman action figures in the 70s.

I had the Batmobile, Bat-cycle, and Bat-copter.

Loved all those toys.
    Here's what some of these looked like:

Retired

The Batmobile that I had as a kid looked like this . . .

. . . so it probably was an Aurora model, but I really don't know, because my father was very good about throwing away all the boxes on Christmas day (or more likely burning them in the backyard).

From this ^ to....
    The Batmobile that I had as a kid looked like this . . .

. . . so it probably was an Aurora model, but I really don't know, because my father was very good about throwing away all the boxes on Christmas day (or more likely burning them in the backyard).
    Wow if that's what yours looked like, that is some skill.
    Most kids couldn't get the door sticker on straight, let alone all that immaculate pinstriping, and it looks like you painted lights and the figures too, and put a nice gloss finish over the dull plastic!
    Great Work! I envied anyone with that mad skill and patience(= all my stoner friends
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-02-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Retired

My father was a very skilled craftsman and helped me with all these picky projects. I remember when I was in high school and I did Industrial Education (metal working, drafting, wood working and electronics), I did all the other work on my own but for electronics where my father helped out and did all my wire splices for me--consequently I got an A in the electronics section, but a C- in everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Here's what some of these looked like:

Strange how Megos 8" scale "Hall of Justice" looked nothing like and made little reference to the Hall of Justice.

Yet their 3.3/4 scale Comic Action Heroes "Fortress of Solitude" specifically referenced the Hall of Justice meeting table.

Hall of Justice...
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-03-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Strange how Megos 8" scale "Hall of Justice" looked nothing like and made little reference to the Hall of Justice.

Yet their 3.3/4 scale Comic Action Heroes "Fortress of Solitude" specifically referenced the Hall of Justice meeting table.

Hall of Justice...
    hehehee

Something about a fortress of solitude that sits Eight around a table....

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    hehehee

Something about a fortress of solitude that sits Eight around a table....
    LOL yeah that table makes absolutely no sense in the Fortress of Solitude !

And surprisingly it was set up for these Eight:

1.Superman, 2.Wonder Woman, 3.Aquaman (yes he was absolutely one of the "World's Four Greatest Heroes" and 4.Batman ( 5.Robin was just a Batman appendage not one of the Four greatest)
    Plus the teen Super Friends 6.Wendy & 7.Marvin and 8.Wonderdog got the final chair!

And continued here --- https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post4606871

Superpowers line, did an ok job capturing the exterior, (although yellow and the scale was off)

the interior as a bit wonky.
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-04-2019 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    The Super Powers line of action figures.
    Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Super Powers Action Figures.

I didn't have them all but I loved the ones I had.
    Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    I had also the Hall of Justice, the Batmobile and Lex's vehicle.
    One of the best toys I've evr had.
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Oh, it's got to be the Super Powers range from the 80's. I had loads of those. I still owned Superman up until a few years ago when he got lost in a house move.

This terrific line for it's time really needed at least a 4th wave to fill it out.
    From DC Comics Style Guide 1986//José Luis García-López

Supergirl
    Batgirl
    Canary
    Zatanna
    Hawkwoman
    Mera
    Barda
    Atom (mini)
    Black Lightning
    Katanna
    Titans: Wonder Girl, Raven Starfire, Beastboy (Kid Flash, Speedy, Aqualad)
    Mary Marvel, Cap Jr.
    And to complement HB's Samurai: Apache, Vulcan, Dorado.

And several of the more classic rogues:
    Catwoman
    Sinestro
    Reverse Flash
    Manta
    Cheetah
    More Darkseid minions; (Female Furies?)

Plus it never even began to get into the JSA or Legion...

Last edited by Güicho; 10-07-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Spectacular Member

It would mainly be the "Batman the Animated Series" line for me, mainly for the timing. Before that when I was even younger, I loved my Batman'89 and Batman Returns toys. I was too young to really get into the Super Powers era toys, though I was really fond of my Batman and Robin figures from that line, as well as a hand-me-down of the 70's-80's era Batmobile. I remember being obsessed with wanting a Hawkman figure because even 4-5 year old me thought he just looked badass, but never got one (finally got Carter as a Classics figure, and while I gave and sold most of my Classics figures, I still use him and Hawkgirl for my Christmas tree).

Quote Originally Posted by GilGarciaJr View Post
    It would mainly be the "Batman the Animated Series" line for me, ....
    Admittedly I was no longer a kid; Batman Animated Series was a great toy line, although it fell into the (apparently very lucrative) gimmick of outrageous costume variants. I never needed more than the one standard Batman figure.
    Where the line really came to life was in it's production of wonderful and large variety of Rogue figures, that just kept growing.

Although repaints, I remember getting this wonderful boxed set, just for how great they looked together.

The Wayne Manor / Batcave which got re-purposed several times, still stands as one of the best Batcave playsets (sorry Mego fans).

Last edited by Güicho; 02-10-2020 at 03:48 PM.