Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    According to The Marvel Report, there are more characters joining the GOTG other than the ones on the cover.
    I was at the panel and Ewing said the cast for GOTG is going to be huge. He also mentioned about how when Noh-Varr mentioned the universe was going to go to shit.... it happens.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Asgardians did screw up Jane's life a lot but holding them accountable for the death of her family I think goes to an extent that the gods will never truly be able to account for in terms of the narrative of the universe.

But Aaron wrote plenty of the major gods as A-holes and Aaron seemed to connect their lack of involvement or accountability to the human world as a symptom of that. He never really seemed to try and view it from a different perspective. I think most gods, especially the Asgardians, understand they can't do or accomplish everything in the Mortal World. I think Odin's expressed that perspective before and I know Thor did before Aaron's storyline.

I'm fine with there being preconceptions for how someone should act in a role or position but when characters have to change to fit those positions in such a way, like Jane basically becoming Thor, persona and dialogue and all, or Thor needing to look more like Odin just to become king, where it just becomes too much in my opinion and dilutes the actual individuality of the character and makes them seem redundant (Just look at OG!Thor compared to Jane).
    I know this is late, i got busy the other day, and don't really want to continue to derail this thread, but obviously we came away from it with different things. Maybe the point he's making is not as obvious to some as it is to others (I have a similar view to Aaron when it comes to religion, not exactly the same, but close enough. so... it may click with me more, because I more or less agree with it, it's something that resonates with me) But... just to address a couple things, before i move on. I know I am defending it here, but I realize it's not perfect, there are some things that I had problems with, and think could have been handled better, but I just thought it was unfair to make the claim it had a muddled or even nonexistent theme when it had a very very clear one, even if it was handled a little inconsistently at times. Which, i mean it happens with long runners, plot threads get dropped or have to be changed due to other events in the universe etc. but it still came through pretty strongly, it obviously had something to say, especially once you got to the end and looked at the rest of it with the benefit of hindsight, at least to me.

Also, I worded it poorly when I said the unwilling/unable distinction, what I meant was not that there were no unwilling/assholish gods, the Shi'ar gods clearly demonstrated that, they were beyond assholes, (probably a little heavy handed in that, but...) but as Thor demonstrates, some gods, even if they are the exception, show the capacity to be willing to help their followers. Or even those who aren't followers of them specifically (God of Thunder, Thor went to other planets to help with drought, and in the final issue he was helping a Christian pastor as two examples) and that is the ideal that the gods should aspire to. Not many do, a lot of them range from indifferent to outright cruel, but that's the ideal. But he can't be everywhere all the time because he's not omnipotent, so he will have to let some prayers go unanswered despite his best attempts. From the people whose prayers went unanswered it will feel like he failed them, regardless of how impossible it is for him to be everywhere, and in his eyes, having failed some people makes him unworthy, despite him trying his best. But if he WAS omnipotent, then if he let those same prayers go unanswered, then he's being a dick because he's letting people suffer despite having the ability to help.

and I think we just have a different philosophy about characters, I LIKE it when characters change, I don't want them to stay in one place forever. (also, with She-hulk, while I don't like that very much either, I think there is more to it than he just wanted Hulk on the team. there have been story hints that there is something wrong with her, and while it is apparently a slow burn sub-plot, I do think it will be resolved and she will go back to normal eventually) There is a reason I've been so big on Loki the past 10 years or so, and that he has been changing as a character is a huge part of it. I'm excited to see how Thor handles being all-father. And, as we just saw, he's not going to look like Odin. As I said, he'll be All-Father, but in his own way. But I did kind of like the idea that the roles that needed to be filled for the cosmic balance or whatever exerted pressure on the people filling them to act a certain way. Not because I want Thor to be just like Odin or Loki to be just like Thor, or Jane to be just like Brunnhilde, I don't want that, at least not long term. But I like the idea of it in a bigger picture sense, and I think them realizing this is happening and fighting to keep their identity, maybe even breaking down the roles, I just think it could be an interesting story. Jane like, just went with it when Thor, sure, but I think some of that is Mjolnir itself, which is not a factor in any of the roles except "Thor", so that doesn't mean it has to be that way with every role, and even with Jane as Thor, she was a mortal expecting to fill the shoes of a god, so she probably relied on Mjolnir a lot more than Thor or Loki or any other Asgardian would need to, so she may have been affected by it more. But in any case, though Loki and Jane's books seem to maybe be playing with the idea of them facing the risk of losing themselves to the role, between Jane having thoughts that don't seem like her own enter her head or come from her mouth, and her being worried about that, or the fact that Loki was dressed EXACTLY like Thor in the far off future, (but i don't think they actually will lose themselves in the end) Thor, from what we can see from the character design and interior pages, seems to be going more with the idea of him making the role his own. He wants to make changes to the role itself. And, I mean even for Jane and Loki and I presume Sif who seems to be taking over for Heimdall, even they are not carbon copies, and simply can't be. Brunnhilde never had wings, was never a doctor, Thor could never do magic...

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    and I think we just have a different philosophy about characters, I LIKE it when characters change, I don't want them to stay in one place forever. (also, with She-hulk, while I don't like that very much either, I think there is more to it than he just wanted Hulk on the team. there have been story hints that there is something wrong with her, and while it is apparently a slow burn sub-plot, I do think it will be resolved and she will go back to normal eventually) There is a reason I've been so big on Loki the past 10 years or so, and that he has been changing as a character is a huge part of it. I'm excited to see how Thor handles being all-father. And, as we just saw, he's not going to look like Odin. As I said, he'll be All-Father, but in his own way. But I did kind of like the idea that the roles that needed to be filled for the cosmic balance or whatever exerted pressure on the people filling them to act a certain way. Not because I want Thor to be just like Odin or Loki to be just like Thor, or Jane to be just like Brunnhilde, I don't want that, at least not long term. But I like the idea of it in a bigger picture sense, and I think them realizing this is happening and fighting to keep their identity, maybe even breaking down the roles, I just think it could be an interesting story. Jane like, just went with it when Thor, sure, but I think some of that is Mjolnir itself, which is not a factor in any of the roles except "Thor", so that doesn't mean it has to be that way with every role, and even with Jane as Thor, she was a mortal expecting to fill the shoes of a god, so she probably relied on Mjolnir a lot more than Thor or Loki or any other Asgardian would need to, so she may have been affected by it more. But in any case, though Loki and Jane's books seem to maybe be playing with the idea of them facing the risk of losing themselves to the role, between Jane having thoughts that don't seem like her own enter her head or come from her mouth, and her being worried about that, or the fact that Loki was dressed EXACTLY like Thor in the far off future, (but i don't think they actually will lose themselves in the end) Thor, from what we can see from the character design and interior pages, seems to be going more with the idea of him making the role his own. He wants to make changes to the role itself. And, I mean even for Jane and Loki and I presume Sif who seems to be taking over for Heimdall, even they are not carbon copies, and simply can't be. Brunnhilde never had wings, was never a doctor, Thor could never do magic...
    I think we see that with the new look Thor seems to be sporting for Cates' run. Seems like he transforms from being stuck in All-Father Thor mode into a new Thor that better resembles himself and restores his body to it's prime, complete with arm and eye. Sort of like he's rebelling against his fate from the previous run.

I really hope Sif doesn't take over for Heimdall. It's bad enough how little used she is as is...

Cebulski just said we'll be seeing something from Claremont next year.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

I wish someone would ask Cebulski about when we’ll see the Maximoffs again (even if it’s a question about undoing the retcon).

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Wolverine is the 4th book announced. That means we have one more to go.

What do you think it will be?

Fantastic Member Alpha to Omega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Thor could never do magic...
    Thor's performed magic on multiple occasions, including in Aaron's run.

So no big major reveals at NYCC, aside from Kamala in the Avengers game but that was leaked already.

-No Bucky/Falcon stuff, no Enternals, no Ant-man, no Champions, ugh.

I'm convinced CB is just gonna wipe all the diversity the last couple of books had just for more 90s pointlessness.

Well, this certainly has been disappointing. Not much big Marvel news from NYCC, maybe next year.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

CB just doesn’t seem to care about anything but X-Men and Conan. It’s a good time for the X-Books but it seems like Marvel can only build up one franchise by starving other franchises of resources (which, given Perlmutter’s tight budgets, may literally be the case).

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    CB just doesn’t seem to care about anything but X-Men and Conan. It’s a good time for the X-Books but it seems like Marvel can only build up one franchise by starving other franchises of resources (which, given Perlmutter’s tight budgets, may literally be the case).
    CB also seems to be open to more mini-series for certain characters who couldn't hold a book, but maybe that's just from what I've seen.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by mreddie View Post
    So no big major reveals at NYCC, aside from Kamala in the Avengers game but that was leaked already.

-No Bucky/Falcon stuff, no Enternals, no Ant-man, no Champions, ugh.

I'm convinced CB is just gonna wipe all the diversity the last couple of books had just for more 90s pointlessness.
    At least Marvel did not put out a map of history that showed POC did NOTHING for Generations.

It’s a good time for the X-Books but it seems like Marvel can only build up one franchise by starving other franchises of resources (which, given Perlmutter’s tight budgets, may literally be the case).
    And he needs to be reminded fix one franchise is NO excuse to ignore others. When they were trash (before Ike) it was others that held Marvel up through all the gators and entitlement fans.
    X-Men success is suppose to ADD not REPLACE anyone. Because there are things they don't have that others do.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

I guess I miscounted. Marvels X probably counted as a new #1 announcement too, so they did announce 5 books: Thor, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Iron Man 2020, Wolverine and Marvels X. Disappointing, as three of those books I was already expecting and two of those I simply don't care about.

Super bummed we couldn't get a confirmation if the Young Avengers relaunch rumor was true or not. Not even a teaser for the Hulkling story from Incoming!, ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I guess I miscounted. Marvels X probably counted as a new #1 announcement too, so they did announce 5 books: Thor, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Iron Man 2020, Wolverine and Marvels X. Disappointing, as three of those books I was already expecting and two of those I simply don't care about.

Super bummed we couldn't get a confirmation if the Young Avengers relaunch rumor was true or not. Not even a teaser for the Hulkling story from Incoming!, ugh...
    The fifth book was Star Wars.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman