Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your First Album...

What was the first album that you ever owned? How did you feel after listening to it?

My first album was Bat out of Hell 2 by Meatloaf. I got it for 12 bucks at Kmart. I got it because I hear i would do anything for love on the radio. I loved that song but after listening to the cd I saw that there were so many other songs that were just great. Objects in the rear view mirror really spoke to me. I listen to that cd everyday and drove my parents nuts. I still listen to it to this day. It takes me to a place that I cant describe.

So what was your first album?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

My first record was a Monkees mail order greatest hits record which introduced me to some psychedelic sounds. And some great pop songs.

The first record I bought with my own money was Traffic On The Road which led me to so much more.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Beatles 62-66. My gateway drug to the Fab Four.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The first album I remember getting was a birthday gift for my 7th or 8th birthday in the (either '76 or '77) and it was called Fonzie Favorites and was a greatest hits collection of 50s rock and roll tunes...

the track list for it was this:

-Unknown Artist Happy Days Theme
    –The Coasters Charlie Brown
    –Bobby Darin Splish Splash
    –Everly Brothers Bird Dog
    –Joe Jones (2) You Talk Too Much
    –The Regents (2) Barbara Ann
    –Jerry Lee Lewis Great Balls Of Fire
    –Bill Haley & The Comets Rock Around The Clock
    –Frank Lyndon The Fonzarelli Slide
    –The Heyettes The Fonz Song
    –Unknown Artist Impressionist Track (Aaaaay, Cool, Nerd, Sit On It)
    –The Dubs Could This Be Magic
    –The Flamingos I Only Have Eyes For You
    –Little Anthony & The Imperials Tears On My Pillow
    –The Chantels Maybe
    –The Elegants Little Star
    –Jimmy Charles A Million To One
    –The Five Satins In The Still Of The Night
    –The Rays (2) Silhouettes
    –The Skyliners Since I Don't Have You
    –The Cleftones Heart & Soul
    –Lee Dorsey Ya Ya

both my parents were fans of doo wop era rock and roll and they were the ones who picked out the album for me, it wasn't something I asked for, but I do like that era of music.

Before that it was mostly 45s that I had. The first album I picked out for myself was shortly after that, and it was Queen's News of the World with the awesome Kelly Freas painting of the giant killer robot in the autumn of 1977.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    My first record was a Monkees mail order greatest hits record which introduced me to some psychedelic sounds. And some great pop songs.

The first record I bought with my own money was Traffic On The Road which led me to so much more.
    I'm pretty sure my first cassette tape was the Monkees. But then I really didn't buy a lot of albums. When I was a kid, my father used to work for a company that supplied vending machines to restaurants, taverns and such. He mostly handled the juke boxes. When the 45 rpm records were returned by the establishment his boss used to let him keep a lot of them. He was married to my Dad's niece and another thing he gave to us was a jukebox that was being replaced by a newer one. So we mostly got 45s instead of the old LPs. We all learned how to load the records. Some of the records I remember having was Paint It Black, We are the Champions with We Will Rock You as the B side and Don McLean's American Pie. I think we had a few Supremes 45s too, like Stop in the Name of Love.

Astonishing Member

The first mass-produced stereo LP records were issued in 1958. At my urging, my family bought me a stereo for Christmas in 1961, I think it was, from some department store. This album either came with it, or at least they bought it at the same time: The 101 Strings Orchestra Play the Theme from Exodus and Other Movies. So that was my first album. I recall that there were also several Christmas albums, which for some reason were sponsored by the Firestone tire company.

So, are we talking -

- "First Album That You Owned..."(Someone Else Bought For You)?

or

- "First Album That You Owned..."(You Bought)?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So, are we talking -

- "First Album That You Owned..."(Someone Else Bought For You)?

or

- "First Album That You Owned..."(You Bought)?

Either. And when I say alnum I also mean cds, 8 tracks, cassettes Etc....
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    What was the first album that you ever owned?
    KISS - Alive II (co-purchase with my younger brother)

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    How did you feel after listening to it?
    "This is the best thing ever!!!"

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

My first album.

I remember enjoying listening to side 2, which was in German, although I liked the English songs as well.

I wasn't too big into New Wave, but the title track really caught my attention when it was played, and it became one of my favorite albums as a kid. I liked their second album too, but it didn't get much attention.