Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It was "A New World Record" by ELO; who also happened to be the first live concert I ever went to (The Out of the Blue tour). They put on one heck of a show.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Bought this with one of my earliest paychecks. Loved it.

Last edited by Scott Taylor; 09-27-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

As a kid, I always wanted to own a record player, but the few bucks I got here and there would never amount to savings I could turn into a turntable. Most of my friends had them at the time, and the best I could do is go to my cousin's house and listen to his vinyls. Until my 14th birthday, when my parents bought me a cheap (read very basic) record player. To go with that, my grandparents bought me the GREASE Soundtrack, double LP. We watched the musical on TV, and although they didn't like any type of music on this side of the waltz, they did enjoy Grease, hence the birthday present. While my sister bought me the "SILVER WINGS - Ja Sam Samo Jedan Od Mnogih S Gitarom" LP, which was much more to her liking than mine, but I was grateful nonetheless. So, my first time was a threesome... LP's that is.

The first CD I bought was CHRIS REA - Auberge. No store was carrying CD's back then yet, so I picked it up from a street vendor who was selling them from a retractable tray. My first CD player was from a commission store, where people (mostly from Germany) will leave items to sell. It was great. Had a five-band equlizer and a built-in pre-amp. Yep, Chris Rea sounded really good.

But the very first music playing device I owned was a cassette player. Therefore the honor of the media goes to one of the few tapes I owned too. Not sure which one, though. Never paid much importance to them, but if I have to guess, I'd say it was the one with a cover, that amused my adolescent youth the most: "BIJELO DUGME - Kad Bi' Bio Bijelo Dugme"
    Last edited by Attila Kiss; 09-27-2019 at 10:41 AM.
    links to my books:
    "TWISTED HOLIDAY HORROR TALES"
    @ comiXology
    @ IndyPlanet
    "Blues Ratz"
    @ Amazon: Spec. BLUE Version Paperback
    @ IndyPlanet: Collected Edition

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Bought this on cassette in 1991 at 9 yrs old from Tower Records. My musical tastes were never quite like the other boys'...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Fantastic Member

My first was an ABBA album on cassette in the late 70s. My tastes quickly changed as I discovered hard rock and metal, which is what I was into for most of the 80s, then while in college had a classmate turn me on to industrial and that led down the rabbit hole to exploring all manner of weird and "difficult" musical experiences.

First i bought with my own money...Beatles, White Album.
    #9,#9,#9.....
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    What was the first album that you ever owned?
    KISS - Alive II (co-purchase with my younger brother)

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    How did you feel after listening to it?
    "This is the best thing ever!!!"

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

My first album.

I remember enjoying listening to side 2, which was in German, although I liked the English songs as well.

I wasn't too big into New Wave, but the title track really caught my attention when it was played, and it became one of my favorite albums as a kid. I liked their second album too, but it didn't get much attention.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Surprisingly non-cringey:

Tina Turner, Private Dancer

I was fascinated by that album. She was like that mystery Golden Age superhero reintroduced by Roy Thomas. She was cooler than ever, yet you were curious about her past appearances.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

If we are talking "Picked It Out"/"Someone Else Paid", it would be The Sensational Guitars Of Dan And Dale - Batman And Robin.

From what I heard later and have seen at least a few times, Sun Ra, some members of the Arkestra, and The Blues Project played on it. That would seemingly track because there was some fairly ace playing that still holds up now.

- https://pitchblackbrigade.wordpress....man-and-robin/

If we are talking "Just Bought It Myself...", it's the oddball Black Sabbath album Live At Last. Bought on cassette from a rack of used cassettes in a grocery store.

As for "How Did You Feel After Listening To It?"...

With The Sensational Guitars..., I honestly don't even think I was aware that you should feel something at the age I first heard it at. Just too young.

With Live At Last, I was just kinda stunned. Even though I had heard Sabbath before then, the album is apparent cobbled together from recordings that the band wanted to shelve. It sounds pretty crazy, and it's not exactly the tunes you would go for if you were trying to get someone to give the band a chance.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 09-28-2019 at 02:27 AM.

Not sure, but it may have been this--and I still have it!

The first album I bought conscientiously. I am not even sure I've seen the movie before bying it. The Batdance was on every radio and TV at that time.
    Well, I loved it enough to be a Prince fan.

81vFWdPLLEL._SS500_.jpg

Retired

My big brother is the one I remember as getting all the great albums. The first album I remember him getting was "How Do You Do It?" by Gerry and the Pacemakers in 1963. That was before he got the Beatles albums (which were different in Canada from either the US or the UK). He was a fan of all the Mersey groups. He would come home every week from the record story with loads of singles. Some great taste he had.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

The earliest record I remember as a little kid was a Disney Peter & the Wolf album. I played it so much the neighbours complained.

But for regular music: Bowie's Ziggy Stardust when I was around 7/8.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days in the Life Of...

My friend Adam gave it to me for my 4th grade birthday, and I played the hell out of it. It was also the first album I got twice since I bought it on CD after cassette became obsolete.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum