Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your First Album...

What was the first album that you ever owned? How did you feel after listening to it?

My first album was Bat out of Hell 2 by Meatloaf. I got it for 12 bucks at Kmart. I got it because I hear i would do anything for love on the radio. I loved that song but after listening to the cd I saw that there were so many other songs that were just great. Objects in the rear view mirror really spoke to me. I listen to that cd everyday and drove my parents nuts. I still listen to it to this day. It takes me to a place that I cant describe.

So what was your first album?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

My first record was a Monkees mail order greatest hits record which introduced me to some psychedelic sounds. And some great pop songs.

The first record I bought with my own money was Traffic On The Road which led me to so much more.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Beatles 62-66. My gateway drug to the Fab Four.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The first album I remember getting was a birthday gift for my 7th or 8th birthday in the (either '76 or '77) and it was called Fonzie Favorites and was a greatest hits collection of 50s rock and roll tunes...

the track list for it was this:

-Unknown Artist Happy Days Theme
    –The Coasters Charlie Brown
    –Bobby Darin Splish Splash
    –Everly Brothers Bird Dog
    –Joe Jones (2) You Talk Too Much
    –The Regents (2) Barbara Ann
    –Jerry Lee Lewis Great Balls Of Fire
    –Bill Haley & The Comets Rock Around The Clock
    –Frank Lyndon The Fonzarelli Slide
    –The Heyettes The Fonz Song
    –Unknown Artist Impressionist Track (Aaaaay, Cool, Nerd, Sit On It)
    –The Dubs Could This Be Magic
    –The Flamingos I Only Have Eyes For You
    –Little Anthony & The Imperials Tears On My Pillow
    –The Chantels Maybe
    –The Elegants Little Star
    –Jimmy Charles A Million To One
    –The Five Satins In The Still Of The Night
    –The Rays (2) Silhouettes
    –The Skyliners Since I Don't Have You
    –The Cleftones Heart & Soul
    –Lee Dorsey Ya Ya

both my parents were fans of doo wop era rock and roll and they were the ones who picked out the album for me, it wasn't something I asked for, but I do like that era of music.

Before that it was mostly 45s that I had. The first album I picked out for myself was shortly after that, and it was Queen's News of the World with the awesome Kelly Freas painting of the giant killer robot in the autumn of 1977.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    My first record was a Monkees mail order greatest hits record which introduced me to some psychedelic sounds. And some great pop songs.

The first record I bought with my own money was Traffic On The Road which led me to so much more.
    I'm pretty sure my first cassette tape was the Monkees. But then I really didn't buy a lot of albums. When I was a kid, my father used to work for a company that supplied vending machines to restaurants, taverns and such. He mostly handled the juke boxes. When the 45 rpm records were returned by the establishment his boss used to let him keep a lot of them. He was married to my Dad's niece and another thing he gave to us was a jukebox that was being replaced by a newer one. So we mostly got 45s instead of the old LPs. We all learned how to load the records. Some of the records I remember having was Paint It Black, We are the Champions with We Will Rock You as the B side and Don McLean's American Pie. I think we had a few Supremes 45s too, like Stop in the Name of Love.

Astonishing Member

The first mass-produced stereo LP records were issued in 1958. At my urging, my family bought me a stereo for Christmas in 1961, I think it was, from some department store. This album either came with it, or at least they bought it at the same time: The 101 Strings Orchestra Play the Theme from Exodus and Other Movies. So that was my first album. I recall that there were also several Christmas albums, which for some reason were sponsored by the Firestone tire company.

So, are we talking -

- "First Album That You Owned..."(Someone Else Bought For You)?

or

- "First Album That You Owned..."(You Bought)?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    So, are we talking -

- "First Album That You Owned..."(Someone Else Bought For You)?

or

- "First Album That You Owned..."(You Bought)?

Either. And when I say alnum I also mean cds, 8 tracks, cassettes Etc....
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Well, I guess I could include some LPs I had. My dad did set up a little media room with a turntable and speakers . I bought cassettes for my car and later I did buy a few LPs. The cassettes were usually popular groups of the day. I don't remember what was the first LP I bought but early on I was interested in film scores. I know I had one that was some of the works of Bernard Herrmann, which I think included The Day the Earth Stood Still, Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Fahrenhiet 451

Retired

The first album I owned was THE STORY OF SNOOPY'S CHRISTMAS AND OTHER FAVOURITE CHILDREN'S SONGS (1968) by Quiet Jungle. I believe this was a present and that I didn't get it with my own money.

The second album I owned was 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY [soundtrack album] (1968). I believe that I got this with my own money. But seriously I'm not sure and both albums were gotten around the same time.

Given that my parents, my older brother and my three older sisters all had healthy collections of albums, I didn't need to have that many of my own.

Living in Oz - Rick Springfield. Without googling I'd guess it was probably 1982 or 1983.

I actually still like this album unlike many of my early "faves". I'm sure some of it is nostalgia though.

That said, as adult with 20 / 20 hindsight on my musical tastes the album I wish had been my first from roughly the same time frame is: Power, Corruption, and Lies by New Order that came out in 1983. I have no excuses why but for some reason I'd never heard the songs Age of Consent or Leave Me Alone until a few years ago and now they are amongst my favorite songs of all time. Okay, part of my excuse is that I lived in small town America where the radio options were top 40 or country. Still though, sometimes I fantasize about being a kid again and actually listening to good music instead of schlock like Michael Jackson, Huey Lewis, Madonna, and other 80's top 40 crap. I was 40ish (about eight years ago) the first time I heard of Joy Division and it was probably only about 5 years ago when I found out that Joy Division and New Order were basically the same band: mind blown. Its largely why I love music nowadays because the internet makes all music available rather than just the limited crap that top 40 radio plays.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 09-26-2019 at 10:04 PM.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The first album I ever had bought for me was 'Hunting High And Low' by the Norwegian group a-ha. I was 11 at the time. I'd been drawn to the group via their breakthrough hit single 'Take On Me' and was surprised to find that much of the album, although mostly electronic based, was much less 'poppy' than that first single. I grew to love it regardless. I rated the group's second album 'Scoundrel Days' (released on 4th October 1986, two days after my twelfth birthday) even higher. Still a big fan today.

For the majority of my life I've been a Rock and Metal fan though. My gateway drug to this was hearing both sides of Van Halen's single 'Jump' (B-side 'House Of Pain') at around the same, mid-80's period. It opened up a whole new musical world to me and I never looked back. My first ROCK album was 1986's 'The Final Countdown' by Europe. Really solid band Europe actually. They are still going strong today and producing quality heavy rock albums.

The first album I remember asking for as a kid, was Waking Up The Neighbours by Bryan Adams. I would've been 7 or 8 then. I still love that album now.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I grew to love it regardless. I rated the group's second album 'Scoundrel Days' (released on 4th October 1986, two days after my twelfth birthday) even higher. Still a big fan today.
    Your birthday is 2nd October? So's mine lol. It's nearly here.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Invincible Member

That I bought with my own money, I think it was Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles. It could have been Best of the Doobie Bros, though. I'm sure I bought them during the same 6 month period.

I "appropriated" my sister's copy of "KISS Alive II" when I was five or six. We then joined Columbia House and I think my first record after that would have been something like "Tattoo You" by the Stones or a Cheap Trick record. Possibly AC/DC. Don't really remember for sure.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.