Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member Vampire Savior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    So I'm not sure about Power Girl, but I do know that Val Zod is making a come back in 2020. I went to the DC panel in San Diego Comic Con and asked Dan Didio about Val Zod. No one reported it because many websites doesn't care about the character, but I asked about Val Zod and he said 2020. More so, Bendis stated that he had plans for Val Zod.

So essentially, something is happening with bendis and val zod in 2020, what it is, we don't know yet.
    That's cool. Thanks for the info. Hopefully he returns with Power Girl and Bendis doesn't erase or destroy their relationship.

I think Val Zod should get moved to the main earth. Cause other earths tend to get ignored and its the waste of a good character.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    That's cool. Thanks for the info. Hopefully he returns with Power Girl and Bendis doesn't erase or destroy their relationship.

Sadly the writer who did world's end already destroyed the relationship sadly. But one thing about Bendis is he's normally pretty good when it comes to these things. So we may see him reestablish the relationship, depending upon if/what the Justice Society has in store for her.

Sadly the writer who did world's end already destroyed the relationship sadly. But one thing about Bendis is he's normally pretty good when it comes to these things. So we may see him reestablish the relationship, depending upon if/what the Justice Society has in store for her.
    Not surprised. I remember seeing some of the Power Girl and Val Zod relationship and thinking what I thought in the post I said above about these relationships usually never being fleshed out very well. The ideas are sometimes interesting, but these writers usually drop the ball on the execution and then the relationships just...disappear. And aside from a couple key art pieces perhaps you don't really get a whole lot out of them. The Power Girl/Val Zod relationship is, unfortunately, a text book example of that from everything I've seen.

Not surprised. I remember seeing some of the Power Girl and Val Zod relationship and thinking what I thought in the post I said above about these relationships usually never being fleshed out very well. The ideas are sometimes interesting, but these writers usually drop the ball on the execution and then the relationships just...disappear. And aside from a couple key art pieces perhaps you don't really get a whole lot out of them. The Power Girl/Val Zod relationship is, unfortunately, a text book example of that from everything I've seen.
    For what it's worth, it didn't begin organically. If I recall, she meets him, we're given a quick childhood friend flashback and wham, they're in love. It felt pretty hollow. When you're introducing a new love interest for an established character, it helps to build them up first, but Val Zod had no real chemistry with her beforehand. I think the poor execution of the first impression has botched that relationship for most the readership. It just read like editorial checklist. I may be misremembering that, I was pretty uninterested in Earth 2 (reading only when PG jumped over) and even then it's not a particularly good time for Power Girl.

To be fair, she's never had a long-term love interest so this isn't new for Kara, but I do feel that every time it's because they just throw her at someone and try and force it. Hal, Arthur, Carter, Michael Holt and Val are the few I recall off hand and most of them don't really get developed. It just happens. Probably why it never has worked with her.

Quote Originally Posted by LP22 View Post
    WOW Black Male/White Female or Black Male/Asian Woman pairing so diverse!

God forbid we have White Male/Black Female,White Male/Asian Woman,Asian Man/Black Female,Asian Man/White Female relationships.
    Well, God hasn't forbade it. It's what we see every inside and outside the medium. It would be interesting to see black male hero paired with someone other than other males for those that don't vibe with that.

It would be so cool Power Girl with an iconic love interest, I mean, relationships never last with her. And we´ve seen pretty much about her as individual character.... so no one can say she´s just the girlfriend of anyone

I know you want Power Girl to have a big...lower body...but you might not want to get too carried away with that
    Let's not discourage the talent for drawing a big ass.

Astonishing Member

The reason the relationship crashed is because the writer who initiated the relationship, Taylor, literally got two issues to write them together before he was taken off of the book. Right after that was World's End, which was essentially a destruction book of Earth 2, and by the time they attempted to have some sense of normalcy in Earth 2 Society, the writer had them broke up. So when you have a writer who clearly has no interest in advancing what the previous writer did and essentially hijack the relationship, you end up with what we saw.

Ultimately they have a lot of potential as a pairing, and that's why I can see someone like bendis building off of that. But in order to see the pairing work, you have to give it to a writer who actually wants to write the pairing, otherwise you'd get what we got or even worse.

Spectacular Member

So I'm not sure about Power Girl, but I do know that Val Zod is making a come back in 2020. I went to the DC panel in San Diego Comic Con and asked Dan Didio about Val Zod. No one reported it because many websites doesn't care about the character, but I asked about Val Zod and he said 2020. More so, Bendis stated that he had plans for Val Zod.

So essentially, something is happening with bendis and val zod in 2020, what it is, we don't know yet.
    See with all the talk of new characters taking on the mantles, I'd be down to see Val again and as the "main" Superman for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    See with all the talk of new characters taking on the mantles, I'd be down to see Val again and as the "main" Superman for a while.
    See, with Kon have just returned and Jon, having aged to a good age to take the mantle which is his birthright, I think picking Val would do more harm for him than good. Both the former and current Superboys are qualified and capable of taking the mantle, doubly so for Jon because he actually wants to do it someday (Kon doesn't always want to be Superman, he may do his own thing). Passing him over for someone new to the universe will pretty much make every current Superman fan roll their eyes. Val really does need to actually be in the Superbooks a while before he gets the mantle over characters groomed, ready and willing to become Superman if DC actually wants him to succeed as a character.

He's interesting, and making him a Zod was an inspired touch, but if he just shows up to be Superman when the void is created... Well, he's going to be AzBats and Artemis Wonder Woman; a temporary fill in that later on gets relegated to the vaunted supporting cast role of "I was the thing once and now I'm irrelevant, see you every six issues or so." I would hate for that to happen to Val. If he's going to take over, he's gotta start appearing often and soon.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-07-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    See, with Kon have just returned and Jon, having aged to a good age to take the mantle which is his birthright, I think picking Val would do more harm for him than good. Both the former and current Superboys are qualified and capable of taking the mantle, doubly so for Jon because he actually wants to do it someday (Kon doesn't always want to be Superman, he may do his own thing). Passing him over for someone new to the universe will pretty much make every current Superman fan roll their eyes. Val really does need to actually be in the Superbooks a while before he gets the mantle over characters groomed, ready and willing to become Superman if DC actually wants him to succeed as a character.

He's interesting, and making him a Zod was an inspired touch, but if he just shows up to be Superman when the void is created... Well, he's going to be AzBats and Artemis Wonder Woman; a temporary fill in that later on gets relegated to the vaunted supporting cast role of "I was the thing once and now I'm irrelevant, see you every six issues or so." I would hate for that to happen to Val. If he's going to take over, he's gotta start appearing often and soon.
    Oh I agree I wouldn't want Val to be used up and tossed like that either. It's just a better sounding option if the goal is to skip over legacies and age up a character no one wanted aged up. Either that or bring back New Superman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Let's not discourage the talent for drawing a big ass.

The reason the relationship crashed is because the writer who initiated the relationship, Taylor, literally got two issues to write them together before he was taken off of the book. Right after that was World's End, which was essentially a destruction book of Earth 2, and by the time they attempted to have some sense of normalcy in Earth 2 Society, the writer had them broke up. So when you have a writer who clearly has no interest in advancing what the previous writer did and essentially hijack the relationship, you end up with what we saw.

Ultimately they have a lot of potential as a pairing, and that's why I can see someone like bendis building off of that. But in order to see the pairing work, you have to give it to a writer who actually wants to write the pairing, otherwise you'd get what we got or even worse.
    Okay, that all makes sense. Thanks for offering that. I wasn't always following the Earth 2 stuff closely enough to know exactly what went on, but I do know the Power Girl/Val Zod thing totally tanked because of mismanagement, and that was unfortunate.

****''

About Power Girl's butt, I know it's all in good fun, but it's okay to have a really big one, and personally, if I was drawing her, I'd give her one, too. You just don't want things to get too disproportionate, or you might end up having the opposite effect of what you're trying to achieve in giving her a really big butt.

DC never seems to do all that much with these black man white woman relationships that pop up, like Steel and Lana Lang, and Supergirl and her numerous black boy friends. They just kind of fade into obscurity after a short while, and usually don't have a lot of substance to them
    I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this tendency. And DC is by no means alone in this. Going back over the last 30 years or so, I've noticed black man/white woman pairings either (1) not ending well; (2) being very short-lived; or (3) to be soon forgotten as if it never happened. These days, when I see such pairings in comics, I expect one of those three outcomes in fairly short order. Heck, sometimes all three outcomes happen to the same couple.
    "Ignore them. They're nothing but a bunch of basement dwellers who spend all day whining on the 'net. Not a single open-minded one in the bunch."
    --Andre Briggs, Justice League International #1