Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Do solicits kill excitement?

So Original Sin was hyped to the moon. Now, half the reason may be because it's just a terrible story and not truly an event, BUT, this is a pattern I've noticed.

Marvel does an advanced solicit and kills their current momentum. Original Sin still has 2 issues and everyone is already looking forward to AXIS.

AXIS isn't even out yet and people are looking (or not) to Falcon-Cap, Girly-Thor and the D-list Avengers.

Falcon Cap, Girly Thor and D-List AND AXIS will be out a month or two and we will get flooded with the "Big world changing" event for April.

Sometimes I think Marvel shouldn't release things so far ahead. It kills the enjoyment of what you're currently reading and trying to enjoy and almost makes it feels pointless to be reading it when the next thing is already taking shape and announced. Can I finish reading the current illusion of change before you BS me into the next "nothing will ever be the same (for 6 months) again"!!!

I look forward to them to read them when they're released.. but then I forget about them. So by the time the actual issue comes out I'd almost forgotten anything the solicitations said.

Yes they do kind of kill the excitement and mystery for what is coming out in the future but they are necessary because it allows us as customers time to plan for what we can afford or what we want to buy based on our tastes.

Marvel (and every other publisher) releases solicitation information months ahead so retailers can figure out what to order for their stores. This is the way it's been for decades. However, once the internet came around, that information is now available to everyone. These days, even if they only released info to retailers, it's practically guaranteed it would be leaked anyway. Releasing it to the public allows them to control the content of the info that goes out.

Besides, studies have shown that spoilers don't ruin people's enjoyment of stories. Funnily enough, they oftentimes enhance it.

I love solicits and look forward to them. They give me a tease of what's ahead that makes me more excited. It takes an awful lot to spoil something for me and usually a lot of what people might consider "spoilers" just makes me more inclined to want to see the thing in question. If anything, I feel a little bit cheated when the solicits don't say much and instead say like "Classified" or something. I want to be told what's coming up so I can be excited for it and generate much hype. Solicits make the day a good day.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

I actually look forward to seeing solicits every month.
    We need better comics

It's not just the solicits though, Marvel actively hypes the next event in the middle of the current one. It's distracting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shambles View Post
    It's not just the solicits though, Marvel actively hypes the next event in the middle of the current one. It's distracting
    THIS. This is exactly what I'm saying. Like SDCC, you didn't hear jack squat about Original Sin or what's left of it, any interviews with the talent, etc. It's like they could careless about it like "that crap is almost over, lets focus on what comes next from those wallets of yours". It makes it feel like what you're currently reading doesn't matter because there's already something else being pushed.

I get its a business but come on.

Extraordinary Member

The only time solicits kill my excitement is when the solicits two or three months ahead read the exact same as the solicits for the last two or three months. Drop time. As for the constant hyping of events, I get that, although it does not kill my excitement since I became desensitized to it anyway. I rely on word of mouth for the events before bothering to consider buying them now.

BANNED

I think of them the same way I think of the Back to School adds that are suddenly popping up all over the place. Good to know of a sale, bad to think summer is ending soon.

Not really you could avoid them or Marvel usually does Classified or XXXXXXXX thing. So it doesn't to me.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

If they are done correctly and don't give away too much, they are fun to read and make some speculations. I equate them with trailers for movies. But you don't want to make the mistake that some of the do when they give away the most important part of the movie!

I think they can be great when done well--they get me excited for what's to come. Solicits can be bad when they give away the entire plot of whatever issue. I like a little tease as to what's coming--but no more than that. I don't mind 6-page previews, even.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
    THIS. This is exactly what I'm saying. Like SDCC, you didn't hear jack squat about Original Sin or what's left of it, any interviews with the talent, etc. It's like they could careless about it like "that crap is almost over, lets focus on what comes next from those wallets of yours". It makes it feel like what you're currently reading doesn't matter because there's already something else being pushed.

I get its a business but come on.
    It's not so much that they don't care about Original Sin or [insert current event here]. Rather, they want to talk about what's ahead at Marvel (usually the next event, but definitely at least changes in status quo) without spoiling the end of the current event.

Now, on that front, I'd say discussions of Superior Iron Man are a bit early since it's supposedly a change in character due to something in AXIS, which hasn't even started.

Yes, they do kill the excitement of upcoming books. Ex. I am really not looking forward to Magneto #11, because on the cover is Red Skull in the Onslaught Armor. So a book I am really liking right now means I will be subjected to one of the worst ideas ever.