Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Has Arissa even been mentioned since the pre-Flashpoint universe ended?
    She appears in crowd shots and occasionally gets a line, but that's about it.

BANNED

Arisia was one of the main characters in Green Lantern: Lost Army, which happened during the DCYOU. That is probably the most notable thing she has done since Flashpoint:

But she was also a regular character in the New 52 Green Lantern Corps run that directly preceded Lost Army:

She had a role in Green Lantern Corps: Edge of Oblivion, but because of story, she was only in the first two issues:

She was shoved way in the background around the time of DC Rebirth, which was midway through 2016.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 09-29-2019 at 12:18 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Luxemburg View Post
    The movement to raise the age of consent to 16 years old in the US was prominent dating back to the 1900s. Like with all social change, it was a struggle that took time to gain widespread implementation. Even back then there were many who wanted to raise it to 21.

Plenty of people knew it was wrong for adults to rape children. They were on the right side of history, the writers that concocted Arisia weren't.

The Woman's Christian Temperance Union petitioned Congress to raise the age of consent in 1888, and the movement gained ground in the 1920.

Creepy doesn't even begin describe you excusing the rape of children in the 1980s.
    Wow. Didn't know that history.

I think it's obvious we can hold people of the past to today's human rights standards. We don't look favorably on slavers for example.

Astonishing Member

Well if they can recon Garth Ranzz into an African American then hell, Arisia has always been age appropriate. She can be 21 when she joins the corps and meets 24 year old Hal. Especially since I am not a Carol fan and prefer Hal with her.

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
    Well if they can recon Garth Ranzz into an African American then hell, Arisia has always been age appropriate. She can be 21 when she joins the corps and meets 24 year old Hal.
    She was even older than that, physically and mentally.
    Again, they already retconed it over a decade ago, with the Return of the Corps. Said and done.
    Original story was creepy as hell, nobody liked it, nobody wanted it, so they changed it.
    What's become beyond creepy now is those still wanting to deny [it's been retconed], and bring it back to virtue signal (like they are trying to hard to announce they are against it) and really just creepily want to always dwell on it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-28-2020 at 03:34 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

She was even older than that.
    Again, they already retconed it over a decade ago, with the Return of the Corps. Said and done.
    Original story was creepy as hell, nobody liked it, nobody wanted it, so they changed it.
    What's become beyond creepy now is those still wanting to bring it back to virtue signal (like they are trying to hard to announce they are against it) and really just creepily want to always dwell on it.
    That's not fixing it. In the story, Hal hooked up with her knowing that she was mentally 13 by our standards and was even concerned that he'd be seen as a child molester. Plus, given how Morrison treats continuity where every story is canon, this seems pretty bad.

Also, based on your scan, it looks like DC was aware if this problem as far back as Rebirth, chose to push Hal to the center if the franchise anyway, and then set Arisia up with another adult male character in the form of Sodam Yat! Seems even worse...

Can we hold 2004 DC to today's standards?
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-30-2019 at 04:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    That's not fixing it. In the story, Hal hooked up with her knowing that she was mentally 13 by our standards and was even concerned that he'd be seen as a child molester. Plus, given how Morrison treats continuity where every story is canon, this seems pretty bad.
    That^ old story nobody liked, nobody defended, yet you love to invest in, tell and cling to, was retconed.
    over a decade ago.
    So that's all you now, still clinging and creeping on it? even after the evidence.

as far back as Rebirth, chose to push Hal to the center if the franchise anyway,
    And there it is ^ transparent, why you are threatened by the retcon, need to cling to, retell and bring back that story you still creepily love, and why you want to invest so much in it. Inventing the narrative it's defended by others , when it's only you clinging to it. Despite the retcon.
    Gross!
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-28-2020 at 03:36 PM.

BANNED

I'm really getting the hibby jibbies from some of these people defending this, but I guess when you're invested you're invested regardless of the implications.

And this is stuff being marketed to kids...
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-30-2019 at 05:07 AM.

I haven't read the supposedly retconning story. But judging from the panel linked here, nothing indicate that Arisia was the equivalent of a human 13 y.o. here, mentally I mean.

I only judge from the panel linked above however, but my understanding make it sounds as if she was definitively not a pre-teen or a very young teen at that time, even by her species's compute - her physical characteristics may also indicate it, considering that, if her people are similar to humans and that their years are truly proportionate to ours in term of growth and aging, then her very obvious curves makes no evolutionary sense for a kid/young teen. I may be wrong but I don't think that even the most precocious of girls develop like that at the very start of puberty.

Incredible Member

Also, based on your scan, it looks like DC was aware if this problem as far back as Rebirth, chose to push Hal to the center if the franchise anyway, and then set Arisia up with another adult male character in the form of Sodam Yat! Seems even worse...

Can we hold 2004 DC to today's standards?
    Seriously, am I the only one who truly ever read that story? First, she was not mentally 13 by our standards. Second, anyone read that run will know that Kilowog loved Arisia from the start. That was way long before Sodam Yat. Does that make Kilowog a pedophile?

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

She was even older than that, physically and mentally.
    What's become beyond creepy now is those still wanting to deny it, bring it back to virtue signal (like they are trying to hard to announce they are against it) and really just creepily want to always dwell on it.
    Well said on both counts, but especially the high-lighted part. I don't see why some people refuse to accept that DC tried several times to wipe it away - that's DC acknowledging that it was an ill-conceived story from 30 years ago.

BANNED

The story was already retconned. I have to agree that this seems like someone trying to bring it up and draw attention to it because of some agenda, and then accusing fellow members of supporting child molestation when they point that out, which is pretty weird, to say the least. And also intellectually dishonest.

BANNED

The details aer clearly laid out in the OP

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

How is this debate even still going?

These are the facts:

Originally, Arisia was created to be this young kid with a crush on Hal, who never reciprocated those feelings.

Englehart's story, which is so deeply problematic I can't believe Hefler okayed it, still goes out of its way to have Hal rebuff Arisia over and over again until she definitively proves to him that she'd used her ring to age up not only her body, but also her mind. This was not a Big/Shazam situation wherein you had a teenage girl in the body of a grown woman. The ring had aged up her mind as well, which was later used as a plot point in a subsequent issue when Star Sapphire used the "artificial years" created in Arisia's mind by the ring in order to give her the maturity of an adult woman to mentally control her.

However, none of this makes this story any less of a bad idea, which is why Johns wisely retconned it away with his explanation that Arisia was actually much older than him to begin with. The idea that Morrison would revisit this story is pretty implausible, but, even if he did, the original stories and Johns's retcon don't really contradict each other. Given that Arisia is from an extremely long-lived race, it would make sense that she would behave like a teenage girl, even if she was hundreds of years old, because biologically her body and mind would still have the same raging hormones and mood swings that most typically associate with teenagers, just with far more life experience.

Spectacular Member

Plus, given how Morrison treats continuity where every story is canon, this seems pretty bad.
    Morrison references what he wants to reference and he contradicts certain comics when necessary. He ignored the literal last issue of Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps, where Hal and Carol got back together, in this series.

The retcon is there as an acknowledgement that the story was gross and weird and that DC doesn't want to be associated with it. Given all the reboots and retcons that have happened since it makes perfect sense that it's never mentioned again. I personally wouldn't mind if Arisia in general never came back, she only reminds of that trashy story and if she was meant to be women and girls' entrance to Green Lantern she's been a failure. Green Lantern's fanbase seems more male than most.