Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default So when will Arisia Rrab's origin be retconned away?

Pretty sure it already has been.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pretty sure it already has been.
    What's her current origin and backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    What's her current origin and backstory?
    Last I checked, she is actually 240 years old which is young for her race.

Her origin needs tweaking.

Saying 13 years on her planet is the equivalent of 240 years on earth doesn’t solve the issue she was still emotionally and physically a 13 year old girl.

Just say she was 18 when she first became a lantern. Her species elf like appearance would explain how tiny and innocent she appeared.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Last I checked, she is actually 240 years old which is young for her race.
    In human years, she's 13-15 mentally and physically from her culture's perspective, as mentioned in OP.

I don't think her background has been retconned yet-- Nor has the murder of Katma, which happened around the same time she was on Earth.

Arisia seems to have a lot of fans. In trying to understand her appeal, I've only seen her liked as a love interest and for her looks, not as an independent character. If those are the primary reasons for liking her, then her age needs to be retconned or addressed, as she's still being used as a love interest in the franchise.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-27-2019 at 05:12 AM.

In human years, she's 13-15 mentally and physically from her culture's perspective, as mentioned in OP.

I don't think her background has been retconned yet-- Nor has the murder of Katma, which happened around the same time she was on Earth.

Arisia seems to have a lot of fans. In trying to understand her appeal, I've only seen her liked as a love interest and for her looks, not as an independent character. If those are the primary reasons for liking her, then her age needs to be retconned or addressed, as she's still being used as a love interest in the franchise.
    She is?? She's always in the background with that cheerleader outfit, but has barely had a line in years.(Earth One and non-canonical crossovers notwithstanding) She's been majorly sidelined since "GLC" when she was paired with Sodam Yat, aside from one fake death scene in "GL: Edge of Oblivion." If that's changed, please let me know where. The thing I liked about her and Hal was that she's a hero who was very accomplished when she was young and unlike Carol, she embraced Hal's life as a GL rather than give him a hard time about how he wasn't there for her all the time.

I think for now DC is just avoiding her problematic backstory by simply avoiding her. Or maybe there are just too many GLs running around and nobody has any interest in writing her. I don't see it as a big problem though - they've already given their in-universe excuse, and even though she was young, she was still a Green Lantern risking her life, fighting wars, etc. Also, that storyline was so long ago, it'd be easy to simply not mention - just like they don't mention how Kilowog used to have a completely different personality and scientific expertise. All anyone would need to know at this point is that she's a GL that Hal used to date.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-27-2019 at 05:43 AM.

BANNED

A large part of Arisia's appeal is/was that she was the main Green Lantern female representative before Jessica Cruz came along. Seeing as how she's very, very close to human looking, she comfortably filled that spot despite being an alien. There was Jade, too, but I never really (fully) saw her as a member of the Green Lantern Corps, and her relevance as a character plummeted after Kyle Rayner's run in Green Lantern and she's never bounced back. Katma held that spot, but that was ages ago, and she's been dead for so long. Many Green Lantern fans these days have probably never read any stories with Katma Tui in them, other than perhaps tiny cameos. Arisia, however, benefits from exposure in Peter Tomasi's Green Lantern Corps run, Van Jensen's run, and Lost Army. Nothing is being done with her lately, but you can say that about many classic Green Lantern Corps mainstays, like Kilowog, and Salaak.

One of the reasons I don't like all these human Green Lanterns going around is because they tend to push the alien GLs' presence further and further out of the spotlight. Aliens are part of what makes Green Lantern special. At this point, I don't believe MORE humans make Green Lantern any more special. I would argue they do less so, because the honor of being Green Lantern of 2814 gets lowered every time DC gives it to yet another person. Especially when it's characters like Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz. There's just no prestige there. It's like the WWE Intercontinental Championship. It actually meant something ages ago when Rick Rude, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, and Ricky Steamboat held it. These days, not so much...well, I don't know if ANY of their belts mean anything now, but that's a different discussion...

There are enough human Green Lanterns to form their own tiny Corps, and they often tend to interact with each other more than they do aliens (though Morrison's book is a welcome exception, yet somehow I don't feel it makes any difference in this regard). So, it's like, if you're going to write things that way, what the heck is the point of the aliens? Just window dressing? This situation is a sign that the people making this stuff just don't think things through enough. I guess partially because there isn't enough of a focused vision for these comics. They pass creative hands so much, and often to people who don't care, don't know the IP especially well, aren't that good, are more interested in making some mark of their own than in doing what's best for the property, and so on.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 09-27-2019 at 06:02 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    She is?? She's always in the background with that cheerleader outfit, but has barely had a line in years.(Earth One and non-canonical crossovers notwithstanding) She's been majorly sidelined since "GLC" when she was paired with Sodam Yat, aside from one fake death scene in "GL: Edge of Oblivion." If that's changed, please let me know where. The thing I liked about her and Hal was that she's a hero who was very accomplished when she was young and unlike Carol, she embraced Hal's life as a GL rather than give him a hard time about how he wasn't there for her all the time.

I think for now DC is just avoiding her problematic backstory by simply avoiding her. Or maybe there are just too many GLs running around and nobody has any interest in writing her. I don't see it as a big problem though - they've already given their in-universe excuse, and even though she was young, she was still a Green Lantern risking her life, fighting wars, etc. Also, that storyline was so long ago, it'd be easy to simply not mention - just like they don't mention how Kilowog used to have a completely different personality and scientific expertise. All anyone would need to know at this point is that she's a GL that Hal used to date.
    Has she broken up with Sodam Yat? They were still together in the New 52 Green Lantern titles, with Arisia being present when the Corps rescued him from the Durlans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    A large part of Arisia's appeal is/was that she was the main Green Lantern female representative before Jessica Cruz came along. Seeing as how she's very, very close to human looking, she comfortably filled that spot despite being an alien. There was Jade, too, but I never really (fully) saw her as a member of the Green Lantern Corps, and her relevance as a character plummeted after Kyle Rayner's run in Green Lantern and she's never bounced back. Katma held that spot, but that was ages ago, and she's been dead for so long. Many Green Lantern fans these days have probably never read any stories with Katma Tui in them, other than perhaps tiny cameos. Arisia, however, benefits from exposure in Peter Tomasi's Green Lantern Corps run, Van Jensen's run, and Lost Army. Nothing is being done with her lately, but you can say that about many classic Green Lantern Corps mainstays, like Kilowog, and Salaak.

One of the reasons I don't like all these human Green Lanterns going around is because they tend to push the alien GLs' presence further and further out of the spotlight. Aliens are part of what makes Green Lantern special. At this point, I don't believe MORE humans make Green Lantern any more special. I would argue they do less so, because the honor of being Green Lantern of 2814 gets lowered every time DC gives it to yet another person. Especially when it's characters like Simon Baz and Jessica Cruz. There's just no prestige there. It's like the WWE Intercontinental Championship. It actually meant something ages ago when Rick Rude, Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, and Ricky Steamboat held it. These days, not so much...well, I don't know if ANY of their belts mean anything now, but that's a different discussion...

There are enough human Green Lanterns to form their own tiny Corps, and they often tend to interact with each other more than they do aliens (though Morrison's book is a welcome exception, yet somehow I don't feel it makes any difference in this regard). So, it's like, if you're going to write things that way, what the heck is the point of the aliens? Just window dressing? This situation is a sign that the people making this stuff just don't think things through enough. I guess partially because there isn't enough of a focused vision for these comics. They pass creative hands so much, and often to people who don't care, don't know the IP especially well, aren't that good, are more interested in making some mark of their own than in doing what's best for the property, and so on.
    Katma has appeared in outside media and GL fans still know her. She briefly appeared in the New 52. Her death at the hands of Carol/The Predator has also bot been addressed.

Even though there are too many human GLs, Arisia's origin means she cannot be the female representative of the Corps, especially when there are less troublesome characters like Soranik, Iolande, etc.

Arisia's appeal is that she's a peppy female love interest, but she's also 13 mentally and physically so...

She's so irrelevant to the comics right now, and we're so long past that point, that I don't think there's any point in addressing it.

So when will Arisia Rrab's origin be retconned away?
    It already has been
    What has become beyond creepy is those who always want to revisit and dwell on ^ it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-27-2019 at 10:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She's so irrelevant to the comics right now, and we're so long past that point, that I don't think there's any point in addressing it.
    Since DC hasn't addressed that part of their history, including the Predator character, some great characters and concepts haven't been returned, like Katma Tui. Can't bring her back without explaining how she died. Can't explain why Carol killed her without the jealousy toward Arisia.

Also weirded out that fans keep shipping her with people.

Surprised DC hasn't retconned this already like Parallax, Barbara Gordon, or Sue Dibney-- or at least addressed it like Alexandra Dewitt or Jason Todd. Guess it's a part of their history they don't care to retcon.

https://www.looper.com/45506/disturb...omics-history/

Morrison is supposed to be this master of lost continuity, so I hope he addresses it.

BANNED

Katma has appeared in outside media and GL fans still know her. She briefly appeared in the New 52. Her death at the hands of Carol/The Predator has also bot been addressed.
    Why does Katma's death NEED to be addressed? What do you want DC to say? She's dead. They've addressed that several times. DC might want to keep her dead because they may not want John Stewart to be married for storytelling purposes (not that DC tends to tell a whole lot of story with him), which I would be able to understand.

As for Arisia, she hasn't been depicted as 13 in over 30 years, so I'm not even sure if this needs to be addressed, either. Addressing it would probably just draw more attention to the awkwardness of it.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 09-27-2019 at 03:28 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    Why does Katma's death NEED to be addressed? What do you want DC to say? She's dead. They've addressed that several times. DC might want to keep her dead because they may not want John Stewart to be married for storytelling purposes (not that DC tends to tell a whole lot of story with him), which I would be able to understand.

As for Arisia, she hasn't been depicted as 13 in over 30 years, so I'm not even sure if this needs to be addressed, either. Addressing it would probably just draw more attention to the awkwardness of it.
    So you think this sort of thing should just be swept under the rug. I think that says a lot. It's on the page and if it's not addressed it will always be a problematic part of this character's history. Pretty gross--especially since she's never been confirmed to be older than 13-15. But yeah, keep pairing and shipping her with people.

Katma doesn't need to be brought back but if her death has been retconned, we should know about it since it relates to the history of several characters. Not to mention, Katma Tui appeared in the New 52, so she's still in continuity. I think this is being wrongfully ignored for the same reason Zero Hour was retconned--nostalgia.

Also, how is this different than Tara Markov?

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-27-2019 at 06:25 PM.