Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default So when will Arisia Rrab's origin be retconned away?

Pretty sure it already has been.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Pretty sure it already has been.
    What's her current origin and backstory?

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    What's her current origin and backstory?
    Last I checked, she is actually 240 years old which is young for her race.

Her origin needs tweaking.

Saying 13 years on her planet is the equivalent of 240 years on earth doesn’t solve the issue she was still emotionally and physically a 13 year old girl.

Just say she was 18 when she first became a lantern. Her species elf like appearance would explain how tiny and innocent she appeared.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Last I checked, she is actually 240 years old which is young for her race.
    In human years, she's 13-15 mentally and physically from her culture's perspective, as mentioned in OP.

I don't think her background has been retconned yet-- Nor has the murder of Katma, which happened around the same time she was on Earth.

Arisia seems to have a lot of fans. In trying to understand her appeal, I've only seen her liked as a love interest and for her looks, not as an independent character. If those are the primary reasons for liking her, then her age needs to be retconned or addressed, as she's still being used as a love interest in the franchise.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 09-27-2019 at 05:12 AM.

In human years, she's 13-15 mentally and physically from her culture's perspective, as mentioned in OP.

I don't think her background has been retconned yet-- Nor has the murder of Katma, which happened around the same time she was on Earth.

Arisia seems to have a lot of fans. In trying to understand her appeal, I've only seen her liked as a love interest and for her looks, not as an independent character. If those are the primary reasons for liking her, then her age needs to be retconned or addressed, as she's still being used as a love interest in the franchise.
    She is?? She's always in the background with that cheerleader outfit, but has barely had a line in years.(Earth One and non-canonical crossovers notwithstanding) She's been majorly sidelined since "GLC" when she was paired with Sodam Yat, aside from one fake death scene in "GL: Edge of Oblivion." If that's changed, please let me know where. The thing I liked about her and Hal was that she's a hero who was very accomplished when she was young and unlike Carol, she embraced Hal's life as a GL rather than give him a hard time about how he wasn't there for her all the time.

I think for now DC is just avoiding her problematic backstory by simply avoiding her. Or maybe there are just too many GLs running around and nobody has any interest in writing her. I don't see it as a big problem though - they've already given their in-universe excuse, and even though she was young, she was still a Green Lantern risking her life, fighting wars, etc. Also, that storyline was so long ago, it'd be easy to simply not mention - just like they don't mention how Kilowog used to have a completely different personality and scientific expertise. All anyone would need to know at this point is that she's a GL that Hal used to date.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-27-2019 at 05:43 AM.

So when will Arisia Rrab's origin be retconned away?
    It already has been
    What has become beyond creepy is those who always want to revisit and dwell on ^ it.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-27-2019 at 10:29 AM.