Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Screwiest CENSORSHIP youve ever seen?

I bought a gothic manga with "explicit content written on the cover. Other than a character copping a pistol wound to the arm I didnt see anything too explicit. Batman and Dick Tracy often copped similar injuries. The only explanation I could think of was a grave robbing scene that might offend Southern Baptists...

Then there's the whole Sailor moon cousins thing.

I tried writing about the actor Dick van Dyke on a DC comics site in 2002 and copped some censorship there...

and YOU?

Well the the song Teenage Dirtbag - in the original CD - has the line "Her boyfriend's a dick, he brings a gun to school".

In the non-explicit version on Apple Music has "Her boyfriend's a ...., he brings a ... to school"

The explicit version has "Her boyfriend's a dick, he brings a ... to school".

Because apparently it's wrong to consider someone who'd take a gun to school to be a dick.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I seem to recall the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles having to be re-branded as the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles back when they first broke into the mainstream here in the UK because of some form of censorship.

This was obviously back in the 1980's. I never watched the cartoon series but it was definitely called that back then. Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as opposed to Ninja Turtles

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I seem to recall the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles having to be re-branded as the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles back when they first broke into the mainstream here in the UK because of some form of censorship.

This was obviously back in the 1980's. I never watched the cartoon series but it was definitely called that back then. Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as opposed to Ninja Turtles
    Yeah, that's right.

But everyone in the real world still called them "ninja"

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Yeah, that's right.

But everyone in the real world still called them "ninja"
    It might well have been the BBC that insisted on that change if memory serves me correctly.

They didn't mind the turtles being mutants but ninjas too was apparently just a step too far. That's an odd line to draw in the sand.

Ninja issue in the uk was due to concerns over the glamourisation of weapons, ie ninja stars etc iirc

Invincible Member

On the 90's Spiderman Fox Kids series, NYPD officers carrying ray guns instead of revolvers, etc to somehow lessen violence on the show.

On the same cartoon, Morbius The Living Vampire would instead of biting people on the neck and drinking their blood, had some kind suction pores on his hands and would drain their plasma.

I remember a bizarre case of reverse censorship. In my teen years (late 70s) at the drive-in there was a comedy skit movie on the Kentucky Fried Movie bandwagon which had a scene in the middle of the movie of a topless woman and they stated. "To get an R rating, we're inserting this scene".

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    On the 90's Spiderman Fox Kids series, NYPD officers carrying ray guns instead of revolvers, etc to somehow lessen violence on the show.

On the same cartoon, Morbius The Living Vampire would instead of biting people on the neck and drinking their blood, had some kind suction pores on his hands and would drain their plasma.
    Don't forget the 80s GI Joe cartoon where everyone used laser guns, even though the figures had real world guns. Still nobody could hit the broadside of a barn.

That Panic at the Disco song, "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" during the course he says "g*ddamn door" and on the radio, they edit out "God" but leave in "damn" because I guess the first part makes it worse...
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

MTV (allegedly) banned the Queen music video for "I Want to Break Free" because they were all dressed in drag in some scenes , doing a parody of the popular British soap Coronation Street. Reports do differ on that. Some say that they just didn't play it on MTV America but it was popular on British MTV because they got the joke. Nor did the British care about Freddie Mercury's sexuality. The fans kind of left them in the States too because they didn't chart very high after that even though they never lost their appeal in other areas of the world

Heck, here in the U.S I watched Monty Python when it was on our local PBS station and they were always in drag on that show!

Last edited by Iron Maiden; 09-27-2019 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    MTV (allegedly) banned the Queen music video for "I Want to Break Free" because they were all dressed in drag in some scenes , doing a parody of the popular British soap Coronation Street. Reports do differ on that. Some say that they just didn't play it on MTV America but it was popular on British MTV because they got the joke. Nor did the British care about Freddie Mercury's sexuality. The fans kind of left them in the States too because they didn't chart very high after that even though they never lost their appeal in other areas of the world

Heck, here in the U.S I watched Monty Python when it was on our local PBS station and they were always in drag on that show!

Before you edited I was about to say that the British didn't get triggered by cross dressing the same way we Americans did. It was a staple in comedy over there far longer than it was even accepted over here.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    This was every cartoon.

It was actually a huge deal that Batman: The Animated Series got to use real guns.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Don't forget the 80s GI Joe cartoon where everyone used laser guns, even though the figures had real world guns. Still nobody could hit the broadside of a barn.

That Panic at the Disco song, "I Write Sins, Not Tragedies" during the course he says "g*ddamn door" and on the radio, they edit out "God" but leave in "damn" because I guess the first part makes it worse...
    It's because putting "God" in front of "Damned" makes it taking The Lord's name in vain to many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    This was every cartoon.

It was actually a huge deal that Batman: The Animated Series got to use real guns.
    I think that's why the 90s X-Men fought sentinels so much. They needed something Wolverine could cut without triggering the censors, and the censors are triggered very, very easily.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Before you edited I was about to say that the British didn't get triggered by cross dressing the same way we Americans did. It was a staple in comedy over there far longer than it was even accepted over here.
    But drag goes all the way back to vaudeville in the states. I wonder if it's cuz Freddie's sexuality was known by the time this video came out. That puts it in a completely different context during the 80's. It's like drag was ok as long as you don't really mean it, but if you're fluid in your sexuality real life then it could problematic.