Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Screwiest CENSORSHIP youve ever seen?

I bought a gothic manga with "explicit content written on the cover. Other than a character copping a pistol wound to the arm I didnt see anything too explicit. Batman and Dick Tracy often copped similar injuries. The only explanation I could think of was a grave robbing scene that might offend Southern Baptists...

Then there's the whole Sailor moon cousins thing.

I tried writing about the actor Dick van Dyke on a DC comics site in 2002 and copped some censorship there...

and YOU?

Well the the song Teenage Dirtbag - in the original CD - has the line "Her boyfriend's a dick, he brings a gun to school".

In the non-explicit version on Apple Music has "Her boyfriend's a ...., he brings a ... to school"

The explicit version has "Her boyfriend's a dick, he brings a ... to school".

Because apparently it's wrong to consider someone who'd take a gun to school to be a dick.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

I seem to recall the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles having to be re-branded as the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles back when they first broke into the mainstream here in the UK because of some form of censorship.

This was obviously back in the 1980's. I never watched the cartoon series but it was definitely called that back then. Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as opposed to Ninja Turtles

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    I seem to recall the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles having to be re-branded as the Teenage Mutant HERO Turtles back when they first broke into the mainstream here in the UK because of some form of censorship.

This was obviously back in the 1980's. I never watched the cartoon series but it was definitely called that back then. Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles as opposed to Ninja Turtles
    Yeah, that's right.

But everyone in the real world still called them "ninja"

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Yeah, that's right.

But everyone in the real world still called them "ninja"
    It might well have been the BBC that insisted on that change if memory serves me correctly.

They didn't mind the turtles being mutants but ninjas too was apparently just a step too far. That's an odd line to draw in the sand.

Ninja issue in the uk was due to concerns over the glamourisation of weapons, ie ninja stars etc iirc

Mighty Member

Default Screwiest CENSORSHIP you've ever seen?

Saw an Indonesian bootleg tape of Purple rain. Apparently Prince caught Darling Nikki "MANUBARTING " with a magazine...

others?

I remember watching the TV version of "Major League" with my brother years ago on CBS. There is the famous line after Corbin Bernsen and Charlie Sheen's characters have feuded all movie... and Sheen's character, the relief pitcher Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn has unknowingly slept with his shortstop Roger Dorn's wife (who saw her fella was cheating on her when Dorn was in the background of a TV broadcast sneaking off with another woman out of the clubhouse when they clinched their spot in a one-game playoff).

Anyway, the two hate each other. And a few of Vaughn's teammates have taken every step to keep the reliever in the bullpen to avoid a huge blowup with Dorn. It isn't until Vaughn gets put in to seal the win that Dorn approaches the mound. What's he gonna say or do? Is he gonna fight Vaughn right there?

He stares down Vaughn and just tells him, "Strike this MOTHERF***ER OUT."

Now, that's obviously not making it to air on CBS. Instead, Dorn says, "STRIKE THIS MOTHER... GUY" out.

Okay, let's break that down. There are two syllables there after "MOTHER-". They went with one syllable. And... it doesn't make a bit of sense that way.

Even weirder, it wasn't Corbin Bernsen's voice, or anything that sounded like him. I swear, the "GUY" was three octaves deeper than Bernsen's voice. In fact, I'm pretty sure "GUY" was spoken by Dennis Haybert's Cuban character, Pedro Cerrano.

So we have a one-syllable word where there are two syllables, that makes it look like a bad 70s dubbing job from a kung fu flick, and the voice that delivers it is clearly not the same person.

My brother and I laughed about it for at least five minutes. And still laugh about it to this day.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I remember watching the TV version of "Major League" with my brother years ago on CBS. There is the famous line after Corbin Bernsen and Charlie Sheen's characters have feuded all movie... and Sheen's character, the relief pitcher Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn has unknowingly slept with his shortstop Roger Dorn's wife (who saw her fella was cheating on her when Dorn was in the background of a TV broadcast sneaking off with another woman out of the clubhouse when they clinched their spot in a one-game playoff).

Anyway, the two hate each other. And a few of Vaughn's teammates have taken every step to keep the reliever in the bullpen to avoid a huge blowup with Dorn. It isn't until Vaughn gets put in to seal the win that Dorn approaches the mound. What's he gonna say or do? Is he gonna fight Vaughn right there?

He stares down Vaughn and just tells him, "Strike this MOTHERF***ER OUT."

Now, that's obviously not making it to air on CBS. Instead, Dorn says, "STRIKE THIS MOTHER... GUY" out.

Okay, let's break that down. There are two syllables there after "MOTHER-". They went with one syllable. And... it doesn't make a bit of sense that way.

Even weirder, it wasn't Corbin Bernsen's voice, or anything that sounded like him. I swear, the "GUY" was three octaves deeper than Bernsen's voice. In fact, I'm pretty sure "GUY" was spoken by Dennis Haybert's Cuban character, Pedro Cerrano.

So we have a one-syllable word where there are two syllables, that makes it look like a bad 70s dubbing job from a kung fu flick, and the voice that delivers it is clearly not the same person.

My brother and I laughed about it for at least five minutes. And still laugh about it to this day.
    I'm actually OK with the pause on the first and a totally misplace "guy" on the second syllable. I know what was said, you know what was said, and everyone who's ever seen a Samiuel L. Jackson meme knows what was said. The sloppy censorship to me says basically "here it is, we're saying it actually without saying it".

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Samuel L. Jackson saying "Forget you!" when Akeem tells me to put down his gun in Coming to America. That was when they still showed old movies on the weekends on the local affiliate channels. When I found out what he really said years later what he said made a lot more sense.

I can tell you what the funniest censorship I ever saw was. If you've seen "Blazing Saddles", you might remember the scene with all the cowboys camped for the night, all eating beans and the sounds that followed. I saw a late night showing on local television where they cut the sound during the tooting. Only, they didn't just shut off the sound and leave it off. They cut it for a fraction of a second, then put it back on then cut it again and this went on and on and on. It was actually funnier than the actual tooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP...ature=emb_logo
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I can tell you what the funniest censorship I ever saw was. If you've seen "Blazing Saddles", you might remember the scene with all the cowboys camped for the night, all eating beans and the sounds that followed. I saw a late night showing on local television where they cut the sound during the tooting. Only, they didn't just shut off the sound and leave it off. They cut it for a fraction of a second, then put it back on then cut it again and this went on and on and on. It was actually funnier than the actual tooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP...ature=emb_logo
    I saw that version on TV also!

In addition to the bean scene, the other bit of censorship they did was truncate all mentions of Madeline Kahn's character's name - Lili Von Shtupp. They had people saying "Lili Von Sht-" instead. I wondered if they only did this in New York, because "shtup" is a Yiddish word that refers to sex.
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    I saw that version on TV also!

In addition to the bean scene, the other bit of censorship they did was truncate all mentions of Madeline Kahn's character's name - Lili Von Shtupp. They had people saying "Lili Von Sht-" instead. I wondered if they only did this in New York, because "shtup" is a Yiddish word that refers to sex.
    No. They also did it in Northern Michigan.
    Power with Girl is better.

Incredible Member

A Profanity Filter Banned the Word 'Bone' at a Paleontology Conference. “Words like 'bone,' 'pubic,' and 'stream' are frankly ridiculous to ban in a field where we regularly find pubic bones in streams,” one participant said of the filter, which organizers had to thwart.
    https://www.vice.com/en/article/dyza...ogy-conference
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org